Covalent Bonds (Red Moon Anthologies Book 3)…

Covalent Bonds (Red Moon Anthologies Book 3) (original 2017; edition 2017)

by G. G. Andrew (Author), Trysh Thompson (Editor)

Member:labrat35
Title:Covalent Bonds (Red Moon Anthologies Book 3)
Authors:G. G. Andrew (Author)
Other authors:Trysh Thompson (Editor)
Info:World Weaver Press (2017), 294 pages

Covalent Bonds (Red Moon Anthologies Book 3) by G. G. Andrew (2017)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't normally read the romance genre, but I liked the idea of geek romance so I thought I'd give this collection a try. Unfortunately, it was really just not my thing. Several of the stories had premises that I couldn't buy (generally boiling down to "geeky girl who doesn't know she's hot falls for geeky boy who doesn't know he's hot") and the writing quality wasn't good enough to make me want to suspend my disbelief. ( )
  mamajoan | Jun 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection seriously whipsawed me. There were several good stories, a couple excellent ones, and some really bad ones - OK, one really bad one and two - three - that ended OK after a rough opening. But they would alternate, almost perfectly - bad, good, bad, good, bad. If I hadn't gotten it as an Early Reviewer book, I doubt I would have finished it - the first story was not one of the good ones. Oddly enough, although I enjoy a hot sex scene in my usual romance reading, the three most explicit stories here were the three I liked least. The only really bad one was...really bad - while every geek (and particularly every female geek) is familiar with the creepy guy who hits on all the cosplayers, a story that makes him as sexually irresistible as he thinks he is is...ewww. The other two ended all right, but there was a major power imbalance in both of them - sleeping with your boss is ewww too. Again, it ended well - very sweet, he'll make the changes necessary to make this relationship work, not push her to move - but it featured the two tropes I dislike most in all romance, overwhelming lust (boring!) and misunderstandings. And the first scene - I was seriously wondering if he'd drugged her, in that unexpected free drink. I think my favorite of the whole collection was Addie-icted - it went on longer than I expected, but I really enjoyed watching them deal with the real world as well as their feelings. Annoying that her leg started to get better as soon as she found her True Love - but at least it wasn't a magical fix, just that she found a therapy, through him, that actually worked. One point, about the collection as a whole - I usually find that short story collections blend together in my mind, I have to go back and at least check the table of contents to remember any of them distinctly. There are several here - some good, and unfortunately some of the bad ones - that are quite clear in my mind. And there are at least a couple I'd love to see more of - that world, and that couple. The good stories are excellent, and I will reread; I'll skip some of them permanently, though. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Geeky romance short stories should be right up my alley, but while I enjoyed the first few stories, after awhile they all seemed the same. Hot nerdy girl doesn't think hot nerdy boy will go for her, but of course he does. I know that's the fantasy and like I said, playing that out a few times was fun, but then it got boring and it was a struggle to finish the collection. As a smart, geeky woman, I wanted the smart, geeky women in these stories to be more empowered, to believe in themselves more, to know that brains does not mean no boys. Is there such a thing as romance for empowered women? I think that's what I'm looking for.
  marcyjill | Mar 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good collection of stories! Some better than others! Not to graphic or hard core. Some of the stories had me on the edge of my seat and sad when they were over! Would definitely recommend this book! The geeks in them were all super sexy to be honest. I received this free for an honest review! ( )
  Susan_Arrington | Mar 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oh, what a great geeky romance read! I could not put this book down! Covalent Bonds is 9 short stories from different authors about geeks finding love. Some of the stories are funny and some are sexy but all have geeks that are hot! I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick, fun romance. I was provided an ARC from LibraryThing in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  angbenton | Mar 10, 2017 |

G. G. Andrewprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, TryshEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

G. G. Andrew's book Covalent Bonds was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,860,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible