The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

The Corinthian (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Corinthian
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Historical Fiction, Regency Period, Money and Manners

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (1940)

English (46)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (49)
Solid middle-of-the-road. I didn't love either of the protagonists, but neither one drove me nuts either (unlike some of Heyer's characters!). Girl playing boy was amusing; girl coming up with constant clever lies was also amusing, though less so when I've been reading so many Heyers. The girls are all either complete idiots (there's one of those, too, though she has only a bit part) or easy tale-tellers. The last part, with Richard at a (near) standstill, was also amusing, except that it left both Richard and Pen quite thoroughly unhappy. Neat to tie up the loose end of the Bow Street Runner like that, without quite letting him intrude on the main story. And a complete and proper HEA - they are thoroughly suited for one another, and I suspect they'll stay that way. Anther Heyer couple I'd love to see later in their lives. Probably will reread, but not for a while. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jul 15, 2016 |
Both Richard Wyndham and Penelope Creed are pressured by their relatives to find a spouse, and a chance meeting out of a window leads them to run away together. Through adventures with Bow Street Runners and stolen diamonds, the two fall in love. This is classic Heyer, complete with urbane, sarcastic hero and sprightly, empathic heroine. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A light and sometimes amusing low-key romance involving Sir Richard Wyndham, a very correct and bored young wealthy and upper class man (the 'Corinthian'). His path crosses with a girl escaping from her aunt's house, in Regency England...

A straightforward journey is fraught with dangers and unlikely people, and all written in Heyer’s historically realistic and exuberant style. I have learned more about the 18th and 19th centuries from her writing than I ever did in school history lessons.

It’s not one of my absolute favourites; there are some unpleasant scenes towards the end, which I had entirely forgotten since I last read it ten years earlier. Moreover, the ending is a little more sudden than I would have liked. But it's an enjoyable light read. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This one started out slowly, but once it got going it was great fun. At one point, it was pure madcap and a little annoying, but that didn't last long, and we got the usual fun ending. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Dec 26, 2015 |
Ah, what's not to like. Pen Creed is 17, impetuous and running away from marriage to a fish faced cousin. She heads out the window and into the arms of a somewhat drunk Richard Wyndham, an older, more sensible and utterly sophisticated man about town. The somewhat drunk element leads him to help Pen on her escapade and together they head off to Somerset in order for Pen to throw herself on the mercy of a childhood friend. Richard is also running away from a forthcoming marriage, and you can only sigh as the two runaways become closer and more embroiled in the comings and goings of a whole raft of people of various degrees of respectability. Delightful. ( )
  Helenliz | Jun 30, 2015 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sutton, GeorginaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The company, ushered by a disapproving butler into the yellow saloon of Sir Richard Wyndham's house in St James Square, comprised two ladies and one reluctant gentleman.
Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian".

Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian"

"I have not the slightest intention of making love to you..."

Sir Richard Wyndham was every inch a man of the Regency, a classic beau of the gaming tables.

Whilst wandering home, just a trifle befuddled, through the London dawn, he pondered with distaste his forthcoming betrothal...

Until a lovely young girl disguised as a boy fell into his arms from an upper window and offered Sir Richard the escape route he was looking for...

When a man comes across a beautiful young woman climbing out of a window in a bid to escape, he finds the ideal opportunity to realize his own escape in this sparkling Regency romance with a decidedly Shakespearean twist.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,317,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible