The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

The Corinthian (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Corinthian
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:
Collections:My Library
Tags:Historical Fiction, Regency Period, Money and Manners

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (1940)

English (40)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (43)
Penn escapes from her aunt, who wants her to marry her cousin, dressed as a boy and teams up with a very drunk Sir Richard, who is not averse to disappearing himself so that he doesn't have to propose to the unlikeable Melissa.

Very funny throughout, right from the hapless George in the first chapter. Penn is a likeable heroine and Lady Luttrell's intervention in the closing stages is a nice touch. Cedric and his lack of grief for his brother's death is very entertaining. I am not quite sure why Richard first feels obliged to offer for Melissa and then seems happy to ditch her for Penn without a second thought, but that is my only niggle.

I have also listened to the Audble audiobook, which is extremely well done. ( )
  pgchuis | Sep 3, 2014 |
This is not one of my favorite of Heyer's books. It's cute enough, yes, and it's well written, but the problem is that there is little to no character development. Heyer spends far too much time in this book on the robbery/murder plot, and not nearly enough in developing the relationship between Pen and Richard. I can completely understand why Pen doesn't believe him when he proposes - there's nothing in the book to let the reader on to the fact he's falling in love with her either! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Corinthian is the sort of romance novel my mother and I would share on those long car camping vacations when I was a kid. It's a fun little story with the sorts of adventures that a pre-teen would have enjoyed. It's one BIG drawback is the dialogue. It's devlish bad and it just doesn't signify! In all honesty, one could do a drinking game based on the phrases that show up ad naseum in the dialogue. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 2, 2014 |
I didn't know what a "Corinthian" was until reading this. It's the official title, so to speak, of a "dandy". I tend to think of men labelled as dandies as effeminate, but "the Corinthian" in this tale - Sir Richard - is far from being so.

Sir Richard gets drunk after resigning himself to the fact that, at 29, he should get married - but married to a most disagreeable young lady just to appease his family.

Yet on his way home after his night out drinking, Richard encounters a 17-year-old girl dressed as a boy. She's attired this way to help her escape from home in order to avoid a marriage to her fish-faced cousin.

The chivalrous Richard won't hear of the girl - Penelope; Pen for short - heading off alone and insists on looking after her on her journey.

Pen is an amusing, excellent character. The author really brings her to life with some crackling dialogue. My favourite sections featured a long dialogue exchange with another young lady, named Lydia, and a young man named Piers, with both instances proving great entertainment.

It's largely because of this and some of Pen's entertaining exchanges with Richard that I'm rating this book 4 stars instead of 3, as although the plot is pretty good, it does lapse occasionally when over-long descriptive passages get in the way. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Aug 2, 2014 |
Well, that was fun, though I found the caper story better than the romance. It wasn't so much the age difference as his nickname for her ("brat") and the general sense that he is amused by her while she is impressed by him. "Falling in love" did not seem to be what was going on.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
The company, ushered by a disapproving butler into the yellow saloon of Sir Richard Wyndham's house in St James Square, comprised two ladies and one reluctant gentleman.
Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian".

Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian"

"I have not the slightest intention of making love to you..."

Sir Richard Wyndham was every inch a man of the Regency, a classic beau of the gaming tables.

Whilst wandering home, just a trifle befuddled, through the London dawn, he pondered with distaste his forthcoming betrothal...

Until a lovely young girl disguised as a boy fell into his arms from an upper window and offered Sir Richard the escape route he was looking for...

When a man comes across a beautiful young woman climbing out of a window in a bid to escape, he finds the ideal opportunity to realize his own escape in this sparkling Regency romance with a decidedly Shakespearean twist.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,370,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible