The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

The Corinthian (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

1,109None7,428 (3.91)40
Member:wisewoman
Title:The Corinthian
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Historical Fiction, Regency Period, Money and Manners

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (1940)

English (36)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (39)
Well, that was fun, though I found the caper story better than the romance. It wasn't so much the age difference as his nickname for her ("brat") and the general sense that he is amused by her while she is impressed by him. "Falling in love" did not seem to be what was going on.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
"Tell me quickly, how does a person look depraved? Do I look depraved?"

"Not in the least. The best you can hope for is to look sulky."

Madcap adventures! Very funny, with likable characters. Light on the romance aspect. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
2.5 stars.

The book falls terribly short of being extraordinary. I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed other GH books like Cotillion or Sylvester. I thought I would but I didn't. The ending seemed to be rather rushed to me, I would rather have enjoyed just a little more insight into the irascible Richard Wyndham and the madcap Pen Creed.

Fun, but not as much as I expected. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Sir Richard Wyndham is the Corinithian of the title, who is expected to propose to a woman he's been promised to since birth - her alarming practicality, they don't need to love each other -drives him to drink and on the way home he encounters Pen Creed climbing out of a window in order to escape her own arranged marriage. High jinks ensue as he escorts Pen, dressed as a boy, so she can meet her childhood sweetheart. Heyer's comic genius is in evidence here, a brilliantly funny light read. ( )
1 vote riverwillow | Nov 21, 2013 |
On the eve of fulfilling his family duty by offering for the hand of a woman he cannot love, Sir Richard Wyndham instead finds himself an unexpected participant in adventure when Miss Penelope Creed - an heiress escaping from the aunt who would have her marry a fish-like cousin - literally drops into his arms late one night. What can a gentleman (especially one who has had a little too much to drink) do, when confronted with a runaway girl disguised as a boy, but accompany her on the stage-coach to Bristol?

Naturally, this being a Georgette Heyer novel, hilarious hi-jinks ensue, with a stolen diamond, a desperate thief, and a Bow Street Runner all making their appearance. The Corinthian is by no means the author's most accomplished work, but its light-hearted charm makes for pleasant reading. One is never in doubt, of course, of the happy ending, but it is still enjoyable to observe the twists and turns that Heyer's hero and heroine must navigate in order to reach that desirable outcome. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 26, 2013 |
The company, ushered by a disapproving butler into the yellow saloon of Sir Richard Wyndham's house in St James Square, comprised two ladies and one reluctant gentleman.
Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian".

Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian"

"I have not the slightest intention of making love to you..."

Sir Richard Wyndham was every inch a man of the Regency, a classic beau of the gaming tables.

Whilst wandering home, just a trifle befuddled, through the London dawn, he pondered with distaste his forthcoming betrothal...

Until a lovely young girl disguised as a boy fell into his arms from an upper window and offered Sir Richard the escape route he was looking for...

When a man comes across a beautiful young woman climbing out of a window in a bid to escape, he finds the ideal opportunity to realize his own escape in this sparkling Regency romance with a decidedly Shakespearean twist.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible