The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

The Corinthian (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:wisewoman
Title:The Corinthian
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:My Library
Tags:Historical Fiction, Regency Period, Money and Manners

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer (1940)

English (51)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (54)
Characters drawn a little strongly, and it's hard to really appreciate a romance between a 17 year old who in all ways seems to present more as a 12 year old, and between a 29 year old who has the world-weariness of someone at least his age. I enjoyed Cotillion considerably more. ( )
  lquilter | Jan 12, 2017 |

In case you need something light, wonderful, witty and well written, then look no further. I really liked The Corinthian.

Unlike some of Heyer's other stories where you have to wait until everyone and their mother is introduced (and their situation), there aren't any delays here.
The introduction to Sir Richard and his family's wishes is done in a couple of pages. You even get to meet the woman everyone (except him, his brother-in-law and the woman's brother) expects to marry. The story doesn't go back and forth, though.

Heyer doesn't do in your face depictions. If you pay attention, from the first moment you see that Sir Richard is not happy. You see he wishes for something more.

Penelope and Sir Richard's first encounter happens very soon and it is one of the loveliest I've read so far. From there on, you get a romantic adventure featuring an uncomfortable trip in a coach, lots of firsts for both of them, imaginative explanations of their relationship, an encounter with a thief and much, much more.
If you do pay close attention, you'll notice when Sir Richard starts to see Pen differently.

Aneris | Dec 29, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
The ridiculously wealthy Sir Richard Wyndham has just been bullied by his family into proposing to a cold-hearted mercenary woman whom he does not love. They day before his proposal, he goes on a drunken walk through the night-time city, and a boy climbs out of a window into his arms. But the boy turns out to be Penelope Creed, a young heiress who is likewise being pressured by her family to marry someone she doesn't love. Penelope is about to set out on a journey, and Wyndham feels obligated to escort her.

The Corinthian is a fantastic adventure for both the characters and the reader. This is only my second Georgette Heyer book, but it'll probably end up to be my favorite. The characters made lovably silly choices all the way through the book, with humorous outcomes. The book remains light-hearted while sticking to a believable story-line. I can't wait to read another Heyer book - in fact I almost went ahead and picked up another right away. I'll definitely read another within the next few months. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Sep 27, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sutton, GeorginaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The company, ushered by a disapproving butler into the yellow saloon of Sir Richard Wyndham's house in St James Square, comprised two ladies and one reluctant gentleman.
Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian".

Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian"

"I have not the slightest intention of making love to you..."

Sir Richard Wyndham was every inch a man of the Regency, a classic beau of the gaming tables.

Whilst wandering home, just a trifle befuddled, through the London dawn, he pondered with distaste his forthcoming betrothal...

Until a lovely young girl disguised as a boy fell into his arms from an upper window and offered Sir Richard the escape route he was looking for...

When a man comes across a beautiful young woman climbing out of a window in a bid to escape, he finds the ideal opportunity to realize his own escape in this sparkling Regency romance with a decidedly Shakespearean twist.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,769,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible