Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by…

I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter

by Erika L. Sánchez

Julia, the teenage daughter of undocumented Mexican Immigrants, struggles to figure out her life in urban Chicago. After the death of her sister, her relationship with her over protective mother becomes intolerable. It is not until Julia reaches a breaking point, and learns all that her parents have endured to give their children a better life in America, that she is able to reach some middle ground with her grieving mother and move on with her own life.

As I read this, there are close to 5 million undocumented Mexicans, like Julia’s parents, living and working in the US. Julia’s story gives us insight as to what life is like for the children of these immigrants; poverty, racism, and the struggle for a better future amidst the normal trials of the teenage years. Props to Sanchez for including links to mental health resources at the end of the book incase anyone is triggered by events in the story. ( )
  Lindsay_W | Dec 26, 2018 |
This book is about a girl named Julia who is from a traditional Mexican family. Her sister Olga recently died in a tragic bus accident in Chicago. Julia is left as an only child and feels alone. Her mother is focused on Julia's flaws. Julia begins to wonder if her older sister Olga was really as perfect as her family made her out to be. With the help of her boyfriend and best friend she works to find out her sister's story. This book would work well as a shared read-aloud for middle schoolers or an independent reading choice for high schoolers. The book could be used for literature circles, teaching character traits, or even talking about the aspects of plot. As far as family goes in this book, it discusses the role of daughters and expectations in traditional Mexican culture and also points out some of the struggles children may have to go to while their family is dealing with the grief of losing a child.
  ksmole1 | Nov 13, 2018 |
I really had a hard time grasping the character of Julia, her personality was just something that I would find someone hard to relate to, but overall, as a Mexican girl myself, I found myself relating to a lot of the issues she brought up in her family and household. It was like looking inside into my own life when it came to the expectations parents expect of their daughters in my culture.

The writing was stunning and it was just an incredibly smooth read. I was able to start and finish this book on a flight from Portland to Palm Springs, so it was definitely a book that I couldn't put down nor got bored of. 5/5! ( )
  thursbest | Nov 12, 2018 |
I great read for teens. Sanchez does well writing about the real lives of immigrants in the US. It was a little slow at the beginning and the end, but still a great book to read for those interested in family drama, immigrants lives in the US, and the struggles of the poor to make a better life for themselves. I would recommend this to many others. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
This book is about Julia, who is the main character and narrator. Julia, the younger sister of Olga, and is clearly not the perfect daughter like her sister, Olga is. The problem is that Olga is dead and Julia just can't compare. Constantly compared by her parents, Julia rebels against them often because she feels lonely and depressed. She loves to write and wants to move away for college.

I really like the way this book is written and I felt like I could connect emotionally with Julia many times throughout the book. I would recommend it to young adults to read because of some of the content.
  edalton | Oct 15, 2018 |
For my parents
What's surprised me most about seeing my sister dead is the lingering smirk on her face.

Perfect Mexican daughters do not go away to college. And they do not move out of their parents' house after high school graduation. Perfect Mexican daughters never abandon their family. But Julia is not your perfect Mexican daughter. That was Olga's role. Then a tragic accident on the busiest street in Chicago leaves Olga dead and Julia left behind to reassemble the shattered pieces of her family. And no one seems to acknowledge that Julia is broken, too. Instead, her mother seems to channel her grief into pointing out every possible way Julia has failed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,532,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible