The Grave's a Fine and Private Place: A…

The Grave's a Fine and Private Place: A Flavia de Luce Novel (2018)

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (9)

Real Rating: 3.75* of five

Not the best entry in the series. The subplot about the poet was underused; the subplot about the kid, Hob, was rushed through and gave nothing useful to the resolution; Carl Pendracka is mentioned but not meaningfully (being American, I suppose he was destined not to be anything except comic relief); I liked Dieter's cameo...but really, is there any point to mangling the book? It's the NINTH in a series by an 80-year-old accidental author!

The major news, at least for me, comes from the author's announcement month before last of the CBC TV series based on the books. I can't imagine how they'll make this into anything like the fun thing the reads are; somehow it seems unlikely they'll find a Flavia, but it's not my job to do any of it so good luck to 'em all.

If you're not already a series fan, don't start here. If you stalled out around book seven, [As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust], as I did, it's worth keeping on. If your stall came earlier in the series, maybe it's not for you. This book won't, in my never-humble opinion, change anyone's mind one way or another. ( )
  richardderus | Mar 1, 2019 |
12-year-old Flavia and her family boat to a town where three parishioners met their death after taking the sacrament. The canon's conviction brought his death by capital punishment. As they boat into town, Flavia "snags" a catch with her bare hand which turns out to be the corpse of the canon's son. At first glance, it appears to be accidental drowning, but Flavia and Dogger spot a bruise. Flavia, of course, conducts her own investigation. The reader learns much more about Dogger in this installment, and he and Flavia "team up" a bit. Flavia matures somewhat in this installment, finally seeing some value in both sisters. It's an enjoyable installment in the series. Jayne Entwistle's narration is superb! ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 16, 2019 |
Still disappointing as a mystery--the motivation for the killer is weak, and revealed only in the last few pages--but Flavia and her family and associates continue to be a delight. ( )
  GratzFamily | Jan 24, 2019 |
Flavia de Luce does it again! This 12-year old sleuth has just had a terrible tragedy befall the family, and she and her sisters, along with Dogger, go on a vacation. While there, Flavia catches a dead body and sets forth to solve the mystery of the man's death. While doing so, she uncovers some secrets and rights some wrongs while solving various crimes.
Flavia de Luce stories is a precocious young girl with a love of chemistry and a mind for solving murders. These books are a delight to read.

#FlaviadeLuce #TheGravesAFineandPrivatePlace #AlanBradley ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
This is the ninth installment in the Flavia DeLuce mystery series.
Six months after the death of their father, Flavia and her sisters, Feely and Daffy, are on a boating holiday with Dogger. As they are gliding past St Mildred in the Marsh - the scene of a triple homicide just two years earlier - Flavia is trailing her hand in the water. In true Flavia style she manages to "hook" the mouth of a corpse with her fingers. After being questioned by the police the DeLuce party is detained in the town of Volesthorpe pending further investigation. This delay gives Flavia a chance to investigate not only the death of this young man but also the three parishioners poisoned two years ago. And, there's lots of chemistry involved.
After the depressing gloominess of the last two installments of the series I was so relieved to read the lighter tone of this one. I had been considering giving up on this series. I also enjoyed the extent to which Dogger, Daffy -- and even Feely-- were involved in the investigation. I like these new developments and Flavia's plans for the future. ( )
  VioletBramble | Nov 28, 2018 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heikinheimo, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montgomery, JoeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The grave's a fine and private place, But none, I think, do there embrace. -- Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress" (1681)
To Shirley, my inspiration
I am on my deathbed. Again.

""The world's greatest adolescent British chemist/busybody/sleuth" (The Seattle Times), Flavia de Luce, returns in a twisty new mystery novel from award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Alan Bradley. In the wake of an unthinkable family tragedy, twelve-year-old Flavia de Luce is struggling to fill her empty days. For a needed escape, Dogger, the loyal family servant, suggests a boating trip for Flavia and her two older sisters. As their punt drifts past the church where a notorious vicar had recently dispatched three of his female parishioners by spiking their communion wine with cyanide, Flavia, an expert chemist with a passion for poisons, is ecstatic. Suddenly something grazes against her fingers as she dangles them in the water. She clamps down on the object, imagining herself as Ernest Hemingway battling a marlin, and pulls up what she expects will be a giant fish. But in Flavia's grip is something far better: a human head, attached to a human body. If anything could take Flavia's mind off sorrow, it is solving a murder--although one that may lead the young sleuth to an early grave"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible