The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg

The Ice Princess (2002)

by Camilla Läckberg

English (71)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Norwegian (2)  All languages (103)
This is a great Swedish mystery series. As the first book in a series, this one intoduces you to a variety of characters, from those you love, to those who annoy. I was hooked right away and I avidly wait for each new book to be released from the series. ( )
  lschoeb | Jun 3, 2014 |
The character Mellberg was farcical, other than that a very enjoyable and reasonably quick read. ( )
  mny_ldy | May 19, 2014 |
Was just OK. Pace was very slow. I will be reading the 2nd in the series, so hopefully it improves. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
I enjoyed it. A little slow at first but picked up. I have been enjoying the Scandinavian Crime fiction genre and this is another good addition to that list. I enjoyed the characters Erika and Patrik. I thought it would be good to see them continue on in future books, and was pleasantly surprised to find at the end of the book that a sequel, [b:The Preacher|9606002|The Preacher (Patrik Hedström, #2)|Camilla Läckberg|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1301936302s/9606002.jpg|1619708] is available. Will be adding that to my to-read list.

I thought I could guess who did "it" but was wrong, but the wrap-up at the end seemed hurried and a little too neat. Still a good read, and quite gripping.

4 stars. ( )
  richardcjennings | Nov 11, 2013 |
The first in Lackberg's series about Erica Falck and Patrick Hedstrom, [bc:The Ice Princess|7058405|The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)|Camilla Läckberg|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347445122s/7058405.jpg|1395190] introduces readers to the world of Fjallbacka, Sweden. When a beautiful young woman named Alexandra is found dead, wrists slit in her bathtub her life will be explored by both Erica, her childhood friend, and Patrick, the police officer investigating her death. In order to solve Alexandra's murder, her past will be stripped bare. Why did she die? Who killed her? Why slit her wrists and leave her half frozen in a full bathtub? With both Erica and Patrick on the case the murderer won't be free for too long.

Lackberg is an expert writer and uses multiple perspectives and description to tell her stories. This being her first novel you have to give some leeway. As a first, it is predictable (I had the murder solved a little more than halfway through the book), that said though, I still enjoyed the tale. Lackberg must have learned a lot while writing this first installment because the later books are much more developed and not as predictable. Unlike a lot of other crime fiction writers, she gives her readers just enough evidence and clues to be able to solve the crimes alongside her characters. If you can make it through this book and pick up the next in this series ([bc:The Preacher|9606002|The Preacher (Patrik Hedström, #2)|Camilla Läckberg|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1301936302s/9606002.jpg|1619708]) you will know what I mean. ( )
1 vote JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
For Wille
The house was desolate and empty.
Original title: Isprinsessan

A more than welcome addition to the growing ranks of Scandinavian fiction . . . Fjallbacka and its crimes and people will soon be as popular here as they are in (Lackberg's) native Sweden.--Peter Robinson, author of "All the Colors of Darkness."

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,121,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible