The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg

The Ice Princess (2002)

by Camilla Läckberg

Recently added byarena300, private library, julesxxl

English (81)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (7)  Swedish (3)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  All languages (114)
A like-able characters, but obvious plot. Billed as the next Stig Larsson, but not as suspenseful. ( )
  madamepince | Jun 22, 2015 |
Very complex mystery by a Swedish author. What starts as a suicide investigation evolves into a 20 year old missing person case. ( )
  busyreadin | Apr 18, 2015 |
Erica Falck’s day is turned upside down when she discovers the body of a childhood friend in a small Swedish town. At first, the police assume that an alcoholic artist is the killer. But an alibi from a neighbour suggests that he could not have done the deed. Then the drunk is found hanged in his apartment and the police investigation is back at square one. And Erica finds herself falling for Patrik Hedstrom, one of the policemen on the case, and another childhood friend that she had lost track of. It seems that the whole town is embroiled in a mystery that both Erica and Patrik seek to resolve.

The story evolves slowly, so you have to stay with it, but the revelations in the second half of the book are well worth waiting for. The thoughts of the characters are exposed in a way that allows us to judge their motivations. Without revealing too much, it is a take on betrayal by individuals in a small town setting and the struggle to survive that betrayal. It is typical of the noir fiction that has emerged from Sweden over the last 30 years. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | Apr 15, 2015 |
After struggling biographer Erica Falck's parents pass away, she returns to her hometown of Fjallbacka, Sweden to attend their funeral. What she finds is a town in crisis; and a community on the brink of inexplicable tragedy. The apparent suicide of her childhood best friend Alexandra is the catalyst.

Erica actually discovers the frozen body of her one-time friend in an ice-cold bath with her wrists slashed. At first glance, it does appear that Alex took her own life - yet Erica is still confused. The friendship between herself and Alex may have drifted apart as they reached adulthood, but surely, Alex would never have become so desperate as to commit suicide, would she?

At the behest of Alex's parents, Erica tentatively agrees to write about her childhood friend. She conceives of writing a book about the beautiful but remote Alex, one which will strive to answer questions about their shared past and lost friendship. As Erica's interest slowly develops into an obsession, her investigation only stirs up even more unanswerable questions...

Meanwhile, local detective Patrick Hedstrom is following his own suspicions about the case. But it's only when Erica and Patrik start working together that the truth begins to emerge about this small town with a deeply disturbing past. And it seems that even after all this time, what is hidden still has the power to cause immeasurable pain and tragedy...to everyone.

I must say that I absolutely loved reading this book. I thought this story was beautifully written and I felt that I got a true taste of Sweden through Ms. Lackberg's writing style. The plot was dramatic, well-developed and it kept me guessing about who were possible suspects right through to the end. In my opinion, Camilla Lackberg is an extraordinary writer and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author sometime very soon. I would give this book an A+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jan 30, 2015 |
I will read the other two books by Camilla Lackberg, I enjoyed this story and hope to have a new author to add to my list of favorites. ( )
  bytheseabchcmbr | Jan 8, 2015 |
For Wille
The house was desolate and empty.
Original title: Isprinsessan

A more than welcome addition to the growing ranks of Scandinavian fiction . . . Fjallbacka and its crimes and people will soon be as popular here as they are in (Lackberg's) native Sweden.--Peter Robinson, author of "All the Colors of Darkness."

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,849,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible