Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002) by…

Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002) (edition 2017)

by David Sedaris (Author)

Member:pbirch01
Title:Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
Authors:David Sedaris (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2017), Edition: First American Edition, 528 pages

Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002) by David Sedaris

This is by far my favorite thing that [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg] has written.

By opening up his diaries he has stripped away the pretension that so often accompanies his writing and instead just laid himself bare. Rather than a caustic cynical wit infesting every page there is a genuine sense of wonder at the world around him and all the oddness in it. There's insecurity, amusement, and occasional shock at the sheer hypocrisy that exists in everyone. There's also remorse, and an occasional resignation to things. This is to say, it's a very human book, and I love it for that. It's also great for how short a lot of the entries are, boiling down the essence of longer stories to the bare bones that are, at times, the funniest bits about them.

One entry reads:

In Germany the movie Groundhog Day is called Eternally Weeps the Groundhog. To me that is so beautiful.

And it is beautiful, it truly is. At the end of the day this book was everything that I wanted it to be, and it left me with a smile on my face. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
interesting to see the daily life of someone over a long period of time, where technology changes and historical events (i.e. 9/11) have occurred. Not the funniest or most interesting Sedaris book though. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
I really wanted to like this book because I do like David Sedaris’ stories and humor, but this is truly a HUGE piece of shit. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
I really enjoyed the first part of the book but not as much after he became so successful. Maybe he wasn't relatable anymore. While I liked part of this book I often forget how depressing Sedaris can be--he notices every person who is blind, and every person missing an appendage. He makes note of every fistfight and every time he's accosted by someone who wants 25 cents or a cigarette, how he usually gives in and hates himself afterwords, at some point you do want to yell at David through the book. ( )
  kc.teadrinker | May 1, 2018 |
I had no idea diary entries could be so fascinating. I love David Sedaris! ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
For Dawn “Friendship Flower” Erickson
Introduction
Not long after deciding to release a book of diary entries, I came upon a five-pound note

One of the most anticipated books of 2017: New York Times Book Review, New York's "Vulture", The Week, Bustle, BookRiot

From bestselling author David Sedaris, for the first time in print: selections from the diaries that are the source of his remarkable autobiographical essays.

For nearly four decades, David Sedaris has faithfully kept a diary in which he records his thoughts and observations on the odd and funny events he witnesses. Anyone who has attended a live Sedaris event knows that his diary readings are often among the most joyful parts of the evening. But never before have they been available in print. Now, in Theft by Finding, Sedaris brings us his favorite entries. From deeply poignant to laugh-out-loud funny, these selections reveal with new intimacy a man longtime readers only think they know. Tender, hilarious, illuminating, and endlessly captivating, Theft by Finding offers a rare look into the mind of one of our generation's greatest comic geniuses.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Feb 2017 21:51:20 -0500)

Shares the author's favorite diary entries, providing a look into the mind of a comic genius.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible