The Digging Leviathan by James P. Blaylock

The Digging Leviathan

by James P. Blaylock

Series: The Digging Leviathan (1)

So this started off slow but then got better and better as I got to know the characters and understand what was happening. When I read the back blurb I really thought that the characters were going to be immersed in a world like Pellucidar but instead it ended up being a bunch of crazy old men running around trying to solve mysteries and save the world.

It's reminiscent of "Cloud Atlas" though I've only seen the movie so I'm not sure how the book handled the "senior citizen revolt" and obviously this came out way before Cloud Atlas.

I REALLY loved the cover art on my paperback and now I'm disappointed to find that the hardcovers have other (lesser) art. It just has that kind of Norman Rockwell on acid vibe that EXACTLY fits the tone of the book. ( )
  ragwaine | Aug 22, 2014 |
*note to self. Copy from A.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Fabulous ideas, beautiful writing, bloodless characters. Except for the paranoid man none of them seemed to have strong emotions, didn't react to the strange events around them. And even in the context of the story the stuff was still strange. Nobody to care about, didn't finish. ( )
  mjscott | May 19, 2011 |
Another amazing book by Blaylock. I was into Powers before Blaylock, and missed out on some of Blaylock’s earlier books, including The Digging Leviathan. Luckily, Babbage Press has been reprinting some of Blaylock’s older books in reasonably nice trade paperback editions (and they’re planning to do some of Powers’s works, too).

Anyway, the book: Most of this book takes place in modern day Los Angeles. It deals with the attempts of a typically odd group of amateur scientists to find a way into the interior of the earth by exploring deep tide pools. They are opposed by an assortment of scientists, psychiatrists, and even, at times, by the poet William Ashbless.

This book is clearly and strongly tied to Homunculus, with descendants of some of those characters appearing in Leviathan. It’s also tied to Powers’s The Anubis Gates through Ashbless, who appears to have survived until the events of the story. (There’s also a brief reference to Brendan Doyle and Steerforth Benner, characters from The Anubis Gates.)

I’ve yet to read a Blaylock or Powers book or story that I haven’t liked, and Leviathan is no exception. I can often strongly identify with Blaylock’s characters, if not their situations, and the quirks of these characters are in line with those in other Blaylock books. ( )
1 vote cmc | Apr 25, 2007 |

James P. Blaylockprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurney, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"-from the negative point of view, I flatter myself this volume has a certain stamp. Although it runs to considerably upwards of two hundred pages, it contains not a single reference to the imbecility of God's Universe, nor so much as a single hint that I could have made a better one myself. I really do not know where my head can have been. I seem to have forgotten all that makes it glorious to be a man. 'Tis an omission that renders the book philosophically unimportant; but I am in hopes the eccentricity may please in frivolous circles."
--ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON An Inland Voyage
Man's a strange animal, and makes strange use
Of his own nature, and the various arts,
And likes particularly to produce
Some new experiment to show his parts;
This is the age of oddities let loose,
Where differing talents find their different marts;
You'd best begin with truth, and when you've lost your
Labour, there's a sure market for imposture.
--Lord Byron
Don Juan
To Viki
And to Johnny and Danny,
best of all possible sons
and consultants on all matters of scientific import And, most of all,
To my parents, Daisy and Loren Blaylock
In the silver light of the midnight moon the mangroves looked animate.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193023516X, Paperback)

Science Fiction. Southern California -- sunny days, blue skies, neighbors on flying bicycles ... ghostly submarines ... mermen off the Catalina coast ... and a vast underground sea stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the Inland Empire where Chinese junks ply an illicit trade and enormous creatures from ages past still survive. It is a place of wonder ... and dark conspiracies. A place rife with adventure - if one knows where to look for it. Two such seekers are the teenagers Jim Hastings and his friend, Giles Peach. Giles was born with a wonderful set of gills along his neck and insatiable appetite for reading. Drawing inspiration from the novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Giles is determined to build a Digging Leviathan. Will he reach the center of the earth? or destroy it in the process?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:34 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,357,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible