Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Fog by Kyo Maclear

The Fog

by Kyo Maclear

Other authors: Kenard Pak (Illustrator)

On the island of Icyland, live many animals including Warble, a small yellow warbler. Many humans come to visit the beautiful island where Warble "people watches". One warm day, a fog rolls in. the other birds and animals do not notice, but Warble does. as the fog becomes thicker and thicker, no humans come to visit anymore. The others don't seem to notice the changes, so it gets worse and worse. When a Red-hooded Spectacled Female (Juvenile) appears, Warble discovers that he's not the only one who notices the fog. They send out messages to see if anyone else sees it. Will they be able to find others who can see it too? And is the fog here to stay? The illustrations by Kenard Pak are done in water colour and demonstrate the misty fog very well. The story is a reminder about environmental awareness, if you do not see a problem or acknowledge one, it well grow and become worse. A nice read aloud for a primary class studying environmental awareness as well as working together to solve a problem. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
The inestimable Kyo Maclear is back with another stunning storybook. In "The Fog", a precocious little warbler is distraught when a fog rolls into his island and prevents him from taking part in his favorite pastime: human watching! The warbler searches and looks and watches until he finally finds a rare species - a "Red Hooded Spectacles Female (Juvenile) #673". Together the girl and bird find a way to dispel the fog and bring vision and happiness back to their island. While younger readers will enjoy the gentle story of friendship, slightly older readers will understand the very serious metaphor of our dangerous impact on the global environment. Luckily, Maclear instills the hopeful message that if we work together we can still restore our planet of splendor. Maclear's illustrative style is perfect for the story; watercolors evoke water, fog, and ether perfectly while pencil work gives the warbler loads of personality. Reminiscent of Jon Klassen, fans of contemporary picture books will eat this one up. When combined with just the right amount of text and a clean narrative, "The Fog" is a winner! ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First and foremost, please know that I received this book courtesy of the "Early Reviewers" program and that my review of it is a little belated. My apologies in advance!

As for my actual review, my feelings are mixed. The illustrations are dreamy. Ethereal. Picturesque. A little on the hippie-side but eccentric in a way anyone would love. The illustrations are incredible. As for the wording, this is where I struggled as a reader. As an adult, you'll like the humor more but most of it, especially some of the more intricate vocabulary, would be above a five-year old's head. Not just that but the plot is philosophical in a convoluted way. Or at least it was for me. I wasn't in love with the text. I kind of hobbled through it and smiled at the illustrations.That's how I navigated this book. So truly, this book was okay, and there were elements I really enjoyed, but it wasn't superb. Sorry to say that. So much promise! ( )
  mrs.k.rippel | Nov 2, 2017 |
Something about this book just didn’t work for me. We never really find out why the fog came, and it isn’t clear just why exactly it goes away. Some have considered this to be a parable about global warming, but if so, the solution still doesn’t quite work for me. The illustrations are charming, and there’s some fun, whimsical humor. It just isn’t one that I love.

Possible Objectionable Material:
The little girl appears to be adventuring all by herself.

Who Might Like This Book:
Anyone who appreciates whimsy, beautiful illustrations, and a bit of mystery.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC. This book also reviewed at http://biblioquacious.blogspot.com/2017/08/a-panoply-of-picturebooks.html ( )
  swingdancefan | Aug 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm still trying to decide if this is a complex metaphor or just a dreamy, imaginative story.

On a far-away island lives a small, yellow warbler. He loves to watch and keep track of the many different humans he sees. But one day fog settles on the island and he can no longer see anything. Everyone deals with the fog differently; some pretend it isn't there, some just ignore it, and many leave.

But one day Warble sees a human. They slowly begin to communicate, although they can't speak to each other, and decide to work together to see if other creatures can see the fog. The more creatures admit to seeing the fog, the more it lifts, until the world is slowly bright and sunny again.

See, I'm not really sure about the point of this story. But Kenard Pak's lovely, drifting illustrations are perfect for a story of fog, whether it's a metaphor or not. The pictures of the different humans that Warble documents are also quite funny.

I don't really see this as a storytime title; it's too slow-paced and needs close attention to appreciate the art. However, I think that one on one readers will appreciate it and it's a beautiful piece of art.

Verdict: An additional purchase, especially if you have kids interested in birdwatching or lots of foggy days.

ISBN: 9781770494923; Published 2017 by Tundra; Review copy provided by publisher through LT Early Reviewers
  JeanLittleLibrary | Aug 6, 2017 |

Kyo Maclearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pak, KenardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Warble is a small yellow warbler who lives on the beautiful island of Icyland, where he pursues his hobby of human watching. But on a warm day, a deep fog rolls in and obscures his view. The rest of the birds don't seem to notice the fog or the other changes Warble observes on the island. The more the fog is ignored, the more it spreads. When a Red-hooded Spectacled Female (Juvenile) appears, Warble discovers that he's not the only one who notices the fog. Will they be able to find others who can see it too? And is the fog here to stay?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kyo Maclear's book The Fog was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,479,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible