The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh

The Faded Sun Trilogy

by C. J. Cherryh

1,044188,078 (4)44
    Dune by Frank Herbert (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!

English (17)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
I currently re-read this book, and it keeps its place as my favorite science fiction novel of all time. A few of the things I particularly like about it: First, the characters. Cherryh taks a good deal of time developing her characters to the point that you actually CARE about them. Many authors (sci fi and otherwise) are too concerned with the plot to let the reader get to know the characters, and so when it comes down to plot crunch-time, nobody really cares what happens. Cherryh is very much the opposite. You care what happens to Niun and Duncan, you feel their emotions, you fear, cry, love, and laugh with them because Cherryh takes the time to let you into their hearts and minds. The friendship between Niun and Duncan feels so very real, because we see from the point of view of both, and understand how their minds slowly move together towards that point. Second, the emphasis on the alien cultures. Unlike in Star Trek, where all the alien cultures are just humans with a little body paint, the mri and the regul both are completely alien. While the mri at least are vaguely humanoid, both are very alien in their thought-processes, thinking in ways that humans find difficult or impossible to follow. Cherryh does a brilliant job in this book of describing and letting the reader into the cultures of both the mri and the regul. Fascinating! Three: The fact that the book is not resolved by Niun discovering he would be better off human, and assimilating. I've read so many books where the alien character is assimilated by the human character, with the feeling that human culture is better anyway, so of course it will win out. This book is the opposite, and runs in the face of that xenophobic cultural bigotry. Duncan becomes mri. Stavros is well on his way to becoming regul. I love the idea from this book that cultural identity is not just skin deep, but comes with a certain thought process and behavioral patterns - the fact that Duncan is mri is recognized both by the mri themselves, and by the regul - it is only the humans, set in their shallow ways, who refuse to see this change.

In all, this is my favorite book in the science fiction genre. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
This is a wonderful trilogy! For detailed reviews of each book, check out the individual titles in my library. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 30, 2013 |
CJ Cherryh, when she's good is very good, and when she's bad is still very good but just doesn't manage to make me deeply care about what's going on. unfortunately, the 'faded sun trilogy' is some of that latter. told in 3 parts (this hefty edition has all 3 books in one paperback), this is the tale of a mid-ranking human military operative and how he "goes native" and falls into the life of the alien race humans have recently conquered. there's a lot of observations about the nature of humanity, cultural tolerance, and not taking things at face value; somehow it's all presented as part of the story instead of a lengthy stand on a soapbox. like nearly all of her stories, it's an utterly meticulous exercise in world-building, with each physical and cultural detail of 3 alien races as rich in detail as that of humanity several hundred years hence. but somehow, there was no sense of urgency, even when confronted with the extinction of a race: perhaps, for me, it collapsed under the weight of all those details and just didn't get around to being as concerned over pace and plotting. ( )
  fireweaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
No better aliens in the galaxy!

No holds barred suspense!!

No doubt a trilogy for the ages... ( )
  AMZoltai | Feb 5, 2013 |
The reading of this book (these books) was well-timed for me. It was so apt and I was so engrossed that the household grew jealous of the book: my youngest tried to take it apart, and, when that failed, the cats tried to eat it on two separate occasions. But I would not be turned away, and I was well-rewarded. ( )
1 vote moiraji | Sep 30, 2010 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wind-child, sun-child, what is Kath?
Child-bearers, life-bringers, that is Kath.

It was a game, shon'ai, the passing-game, Kel-style, in the dim round hall of the Kel, the middle tower of the House--black-robed men and a black-robed woman, a circle of ten.
The Faded Sun Trilogy should not be combined with its component books: Kesrith, Kutath, and Shon'jir.

Originally published in three parts:
Kesrith,
Kutath,
Shon'jir.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886778697, Mass Market Paperback)

They were the mri-tall, secretive, bound by honor and the rigid dictates of their society. For aeons this golden-skinned, golden-eyed race had provided the universe mercenary soldiers of almost unimaginable ability. But now the mri have faced an enemy unlike any other-an enemy whose only way of war is widespread destruction. These "humans" are mass fighters, creatures of the herb, and the mri have been slaughtered like animals. Now, in the aftermath of war, the mri face extinction. It will be up to three individuals to save whatever remains of this devastated race: a warrior--one of the last survivors of his kind; a priestess of this honorable people; and a lone human--a man sworn to aid the enemy of his own kind. Can they retrace the galaxy-wide path of this nomadic race back through millennia to reclaim the ancient world that first gave them life?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:13 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible