The Faded Sun Trilogy by C. J. Cherryh

The Faded Sun Trilogy

by C. J. Cherryh

1,036178,148 (4)44
    Dune by Frank Herbert (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Same basic sort of premise - SciFi set on desert worlds inspires the rise of a galactic empire, but very different outcomes!

English (16)  Italian (1)  All languages (17)
This is a wonderful trilogy! For detailed reviews of each book, check out the individual titles in my library. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 30, 2013 |
CJ Cherryh, when she's good is very good, and when she's bad is still very good but just doesn't manage to make me deeply care about what's going on. unfortunately, the 'faded sun trilogy' is some of that latter. told in 3 parts (this hefty edition has all 3 books in one paperback), this is the tale of a mid-ranking human military operative and how he "goes native" and falls into the life of the alien race humans have recently conquered. there's a lot of observations about the nature of humanity, cultural tolerance, and not taking things at face value; somehow it's all presented as part of the story instead of a lengthy stand on a soapbox. like nearly all of her stories, it's an utterly meticulous exercise in world-building, with each physical and cultural detail of 3 alien races as rich in detail as that of humanity several hundred years hence. but somehow, there was no sense of urgency, even when confronted with the extinction of a race: perhaps, for me, it collapsed under the weight of all those details and just didn't get around to being as concerned over pace and plotting. ( )
  fireweaver | Mar 31, 2013 |
No better aliens in the galaxy!

No holds barred suspense!!

No doubt a trilogy for the ages... ( )
  AMZoltai | Feb 5, 2013 |
The reading of this book (these books) was well-timed for me. It was so apt and I was so engrossed that the household grew jealous of the book: my youngest tried to take it apart, and, when that failed, the cats tried to eat it on two separate occasions. But I would not be turned away, and I was well-rewarded. ( )
1 vote moiraji | Sep 30, 2010 |
I usually have an interesting or poignant or relevant quote from a book at the beginning of my review. The fact that I don't have one here doesn't mean that there wasn't anything interesting or poignant or relevant to quote from this book, but rather that I was too engrossed in the reading of it to be paying such close attention to individual phrases and passages.

The three races of humanity, mri, and regul have been warring over intergalactic property for forty years. A negotiated treaty between the humans and the regul have brought a supposed end to that war, but mri remain outsiders to this agreement and a mystery to both of the other races. The Faded Sun trilogy tells the story of the mri race's struggle to survive in a universe that seems intent on wiping them out.

I haven't read a lot of Cherryh, nor I have a read her in a long while. From what I had remembered of earlier encounters with her work, I thought her stuff was ok, sometimes insightful, sometimes just entertaining, but I had never really felt like "I LOVE this author." This book changed that for me. Cherryh does a brilliant job of portraying not one, but two alien psychologies and depicting how three different races might navigate the intricacies of inter-species relations. The mri are difficult to understand, but as a reader I couldn't help feeling very deeply for them and respecting their worldview. It is very strange to find yourself aligning against humanity in a conflict of human and alien interests. There's a level of insight here that I think is rare in science-fiction writers, but which should be treasured when you can find it.

I thought the first and third books of the trilogy were far more enjoyable than the second - it drags a good bit, although I still wasn't able to put the book down. What you get at the end of the story is a stunning realization of what was wanted, and why it had been withheld for so long. I thought the outcome was beautiful, and now I find myself inclined to read some more of this author's works. ( )
4 vote philosojerk | Sep 10, 2010 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wind-child, sun-child, what is Kath?
Child-bearers, life-bringers, that is Kath.

It was a game, shon'ai, the passing-game, Kel-style, in the dim round hall of the Kel, the middle tower of the House--black-robed men and a black-robed woman, a circle of ten.
The Faded Sun Trilogy should not be combined with its component books: Kesrith, Kutath, and Shon'jir.

Originally published in three parts:
Kesrith,
Kutath,
Shon'jir.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0886778697, Mass Market Paperback)

They were the mri-tall, secretive, bound by honor and the rigid dictates of their society. For aeons this golden-skinned, golden-eyed race had provided the universe mercenary soldiers of almost unimaginable ability. But now the mri have faced an enemy unlike any other-an enemy whose only way of war is widespread destruction. These "humans" are mass fighters, creatures of the herb, and the mri have been slaughtered like animals. Now, in the aftermath of war, the mri face extinction. It will be up to three individuals to save whatever remains of this devastated race: a warrior--one of the last survivors of his kind; a priestess of this honorable people; and a lone human--a man sworn to aid the enemy of his own kind. Can they retrace the galaxy-wide path of this nomadic race back through millennia to reclaim the ancient world that first gave them life?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:13 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,545,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible