Bloodring (Thorn St. Croix, Book 1) by Faith…

Bloodring (Thorn St. Croix, Book 1) (edition 2006)

by Faith Hunter

4681922,298 (3.67)6
Member:sidhevicious
Title:Bloodring (Thorn St. Croix, Book 1)
Authors:Faith Hunter
Info:Roc Trade (2006), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:TBR, Fantasy

Bloodring by Faith Hunter

I sat down and read the three books of this series in one day. Yes it is that good. I normally try to avoid overtly Christian books because I am far from a Christian but this series was pretty amazing. The magic system is very workable, the angels are both awesome and awe inspiring. The Darkness is perfect as the evil of the series and the human elements are what you could hope for in a series set after the end of the current world. If you like post apocalyptic tales then you should pick up these books. Well written and worth your time. I will be reading more from this fine writer. ( )
  suteko | Mar 31, 2014 |
RATING: I don't know... I don't like to give it one star, due to the actually good concept, but this book was a mess, overall, so I suppose one star it is...

"Mess" is a great way to describe this book, indeed. Story and pacing were a mess, character development was a mess and world building was... you guessed right, a mess. I struggled to get through this book, and I found that a pity since the core idea was really good. Fantastic even.

The book takes place in the near future, in a post-apocalyptic world where an Ice Age has descended and humans live under the thumb of Seraphs and under the threat of demonic forces. Also, a new race has arised, the Neomages. We're not told exactly where they came from or the origins of their DNA (which is a one of the many flaws of this book, IMHO). Neomages can tap into the remains of the "forces of Creation" left on Earth (in rocks, sand, sea, etc) and use that energy in their "workings". Basically they can do magic. But Neomages can only draw power from a specific element and seem (from what I gathered) to be weakened by the power in other elements not their own. Also, they seem to be more animalistic than human since they "go into heat" (a very Laurell K. Hamilton-esque concept that, I confess, turned me off).

To protect these Neomages from jealous and overzealous humans, the Seraphs decreed that all of them had to be locked up in Enclaves, living in seclusion and only coming out to perform jobs required by the humans.

Thorn St Croix, the protagonist has escaped the Enclave and lives under the gise of a human. She is a "stone mage" so she opened a store and provides jewelry to people all over. She's doing all right until her ex-husband goes missing.

Seems interesting right? Yeah, I thought so too. But while the author had a great idea for a story, she couldn't really piece it together in a coherent and interesting way.

The pacing is too slow and very little happens relating to the actual solving of the mystery. Most of the book is just a boring and descriptive account of Thorn's days in Mineral City (where she lives). Sometimes, she tries to find stuff about her missing ex, but mostly she just tries to hide her identity from everyone, makes jewels (we're given a lot of detail on semi-precious stones and it's "properties") and rejoices at the early spring days. Sometimes a villain attacks, but the action is very tame right until the end. Oh and let's not forget she has to fight her "mage-heat" since a Seraph hybrid has appeared on her doorstep and she now has a lot of lustful thoughts and dreams and feelings. I thought the "mage-heat" part was annoying but I'm guessing it was there so Thorn could gain immunity to it, later in the book. Still, it was annoying.

Nothing much happens until the final chapters of the book, where there is a good fight between good and bad guys. Unfortunately by then I was already skimming since I just wanted to be done with the book.

The characters weren't exactly captivating either, and some of them were pretty incoherent (Thorn mostly). I didn't particularly liked any of them.

What I did like was the hint that maybe the Seraphs and all weren't what they appeared.

Overall, this book was weak. The author had great ideas but failed in putting them to paper, getting side-tracked by things that probably didn't need to be included. The characters didn't get much development, though as this is a series, that isn't very serious. I felt like the story was confusing and the world-building needed... well, more building. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
There was a first chapter for this in the most recent Jane Yellowrock novel, so I decided to reread it. It's got some really interesting cool stuff, but it's got some really clumsy bits too. The interesting cool stuff is that it ISN'T any sort of vampire, werewolf, etc. And the whole development of the seraphs is interesting.

I like the Jane Yellowrock books better, but some of that is that she's become much better as a writer. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
What did I think? I liked it okay, enough to have moved on to the second book straight away. I like the characters, am interested in seeing where she goes with it.

There isn't really any sex to speak of in book one, but in the interest of full & fair disclosure she talks about it plenty. In fact she beats that proverbial dead horse on nearly every page. I'm hoping it isn't quite as "in your face" come book two. It got a bit annoying after a while.

Still, I'm really interested to see how this plays out, I haven't quite decided yet what she's trying to say about "religion" in general, and what the deal is with the Seraphim. Good Guys? or Bad Guys? The "dark things" are for sure bad guys...and the Seraphs fight them, but there's still something weird about them. ( )
  Ameliapei | Apr 18, 2013 |
The Rogue Mage series by Faith Hunter is set in a post-apocalyptic world, some generations after Seraphs revealed themselves to the world and joined forces with humans to battle demons. Magic is unleashed upon the world when the offspring of Seraphs & humans come of age; these "mages" have the ability to cast spells, create amulets & wards. Because of their powers, they are kept in enclaves and strictly monitored. The heroine of the series, Thorn St. Croix, is a rogue mage, living as a human outside the mage enclaves, which is illegal. Thorn makes a living crafting jewelry, which comes naturally to her since she is a stone mage, with an affinity for rocks & gemstones. Thorn is surrounded by close friends, none of whom know the truth about her magic abilities.

In Bloodring, the first book of the series, Thorn is reluctantly pulled into the limelight when she is suspected of involvement in the kidnapping her ex-husband. Thorn must clear her name. Complicating matters, she is attracted to the lead police officer, Thaddeus.

The series is an interesting blend of urban fantasy and apocalyptic theology (though it's a new theology -- upon their arrival, the Seraphs declared all major religions inaccurate and thus a new religion is created). The author's world-building is detailed and consistent, gorgeously described. In particular, Thorn's affinity for gemstones, colors, and the building of magic spells is beautifully covered in great detail; I found it fascinating, but working with gems & colors & magic may not be everyone's cup of tea. The characters are also well drawn, interesting, and likeable, even minor characters; and the relationships between the various characters are believable and ring true. I would read the series for the characters alone, but the unique setting and descriptive writing has me rushing out to get the next book. ( )
  cmwilson101 | Nov 24, 2011 |

In a post-apocalyptic world, mages are registered and separated from society in gilded cages of servitude and regulations. Thorn St. Croix, however, is on her own and living in hiding within a small mountain town. Until the disappearance of her ex-husband draws unwanted attention her way.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451462416, Mass Market Paperback)

In a near-future world, seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle. But a new species of mage has arisen. Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary “neomage.” Nearly driven insane by her powers, she has escaped the confines of the Enclaves and now lives among humans. When her ex-husband is kidnapped, Thorn must risk revealing her true identity to save him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:26 -0400)

FANTASY. In a near-future world, seraphs and demons fight a never-ending battle. But a new species of mage has arisen. Thorn St. Croix is no ordinary aneomage.a Nearly driven insane by her powers, she has escaped the confines of the Enclaves and now lives among humans. When her ex-husband is kidnapped, Thorn must risk revealing her true identity to save him.… (more)

Faith Hunter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

49 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible