All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

All the Pretty Horses (1992)

by Cormac McCarthy

Series: Border Trilogy (1)

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    Butcher's Crossing by John Williams (thatguyzero)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (sturlington)
    In The fall by Jeffrey Lent (jhowell)
    Close Range by Annie Proulx (chrisharpe)
    Griffintown by Marie Hélène Poitras (Serviette)

English (153)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (159)
Interesting coming of age movie in the old Southwest and Mexico. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
All the Pretty Horses is not only one of McCarthy's best novels, it stands as one of the best contemporary American novels of all time. It is a beautifully written coming of age tale set in the Western United States. Be prepared with tissues. It gets tragic. ( )
  Research_Track | Jan 18, 2016 |
Unlike the others I just didnt get this book or what made it so great, I was bored by descriptions of how to rope a horse and train it, I did not ever get the impression that Rawlins and John Grady were boys to me they always came across as too adult and mature and that distanced me from the book.
I had no real interest in the characters until they met Blevins and while from that point on the whole novel flowed better it was never really believable to me.
I hate westerns and this book has done nothing to change my mind. ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
McCarthy's writing style is not for me. The lack of quotation marks and commas drove me nuts. he's also too vague in some parts of the story and then goes into huge details about the landscape. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
A very powerful novel about life as a cowboy. John Grady's life is turned upside down when the ranch he was brought up on is sold. He goes to find his way across the border in Mexico with his friend Rawlins. Along the way they meet a third friend and things start to happen. Violent in places, a page turner throughout, this very evocative novel made me want to saddle up and go riding across the plains and in the mountains. I'd recommend it. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
You can’t just nip at darkness, so when you read this book, from page one you feel a threat following you, some animistic urging that keeps you going by the way McCarthy manipulates your demonic love of the sounds of speech.

All the Pretty Horses may indicate McCarthy's desire to come in out of the cold of those Tennessee mountain winters, but his imagination is at its best there with Arthur Ownby or with the monstrous Judge of Blood Meridian drowning dogs. He is best with what nature gives or imposes, rather than with the observations of culture.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Review of Books, Denis Donoghue (pay site) (Jun 24, 1993)

The magnetic attraction of Mr. McCarthy's fiction comes first from the extraordinary quality of his prose; difficult as it may sometimes be, it is also overwhelmingly seductive. Powered by long, tumbling many-stranded sentences, his descriptive style is elaborate and elevated, but also used effectively to frame realistic dialogue, for which his ear is deadly accurate.

Situada en 1949, en las tierras fronterizas entre Texas y México, la historia se centra en el personaje de John Grady Cole, un muchacho de dieciséis años, hijo de padres separados que tras la muerte de su abuelo decide huir a México en compañía de su amigo Lacey para encontrarse con un mundo marcado por la dureza y la violencia. Una novela de aprendizaje con resonancias épicas que inaugura un paisaje moral y físico que nos remite a la última epopeya de nuestro tiempo. Un estilo seco para una historia de emociones fuertes, ásperas, primigenias.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The candleflame and the image of the candleflame caught in the pierglass twisted and righted when he entered the hall and again when he shut the door.
There were storms to the south and masses of clouds that moved slowly along the horizon with their long dark tendrils trailing in the rain. That night they camped on a ledge of rock above the plains and watched the lightning all along the horizon provoke from the seamless dark the distant mountain ranges again and again. (p. 93 of original ed.)
The boy who rode on slightly before him sat a horse not only as if he'd been born to it which he was but as if he were begot by malice or mischance into some queer land where horses never were he would have found them anyway.
He thought that in the beauty of the world hid a secret. He thought the world’s heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world’s pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower.
Scars have a strange power to remind us of our past.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679744398, Paperback)

Part bildungsroman, part horse opera, part meditation on courage and loyalty, this beautifully crafted novel won the National Book Award in 1992. The plot is simple enough. John Grady Cole, a 16-year-old dispossessed Texan, crosses the Rio Grande into Mexico in 1949, accompanied by his pal Lacey Rawlins. The two precocious horsemen pick up a sidekick--a laughable but deadly marksman named Jimmy Blevins--encounter various adventures on their way south and finally arrive at a paradisiacal hacienda where Cole falls into an ill-fated romance. Readers familiar with McCarthy's Faulknerian prose will find the writing more restrained than in Suttree and Blood Meridian. Newcomers will be mesmerized by the tragic tale of John Grady Cole's coming of age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:21 -0400)

Cut off from the life of ranching he has come to love by his grandfather's death, John Grady Cole flees to Mexico, where he and his two companions embark on a rugged and cruelly idyllic adventure.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,252,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible