All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy,…

All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, Book 1) (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Cormac McCarthy

Member:remooney
Title:All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (1993), Paperback, 301 pages
Rating:***

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (1992)

Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (mabith)
    mabith: McCarthy's border trilogy reminded me so heavily of Steinbeck. I think if you enjoy one author you'll enjoy the other as well.
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    Butcher's Crossing by John Williams (thatguyzero)
    In The fall by Jeffrey Lent (jhowell)
    Close Range by Annie Proulx (chrisharpe)
    Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (sturlington)
    Griffintown by Poitras Marie Helene (Serviette)

English (131)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (136)
Sixteen-year old John Grady Cole was left adrift after his mother moved away from Texas, his father returned from war with problems, and his grandfather died. No one is left to run the generations-old ranch so he saddles up his horse and heads south. He is joined by his best friend, Lacey Rawlins, and they are subsequently joined by a much younger boy named Blevins. Crossing this wild and bleak landscape, they run into difficulties and John falls in love.

John is a man of few words and the author highlights this by neglecting to use conversational punctuation. This gives the reader a need to read between the few words to understand our young men and adds a feeling of the starkness of the landscape. ( )
  mamzel | Nov 11, 2014 |
a wonderful wonderful book and absolutely worthy of its accolades ( )
  sianpr | Sep 30, 2014 |
This book was really, really well written. Kind of beautiful. Still, it took me forever to read - it's only 300 pages and it took me nearly two months. But I finally finished it and I'm really glad I stuck it out. It was completely worth it. ( )
  GraceZ | Sep 6, 2014 |
This is my second Cormac McCarthy book and I liked it much more than I did the first one (Blood Meridian). Written in his signature southern, rustic drawl the story follows a young rancher and his friend who have nothing to lose.

The two teens leave Texas with nothing but their horses and dreams of a quiet existence in the wild Mexican frontier. On the way they encounter another young man who ends up tampering with their dreams of an idyllic future. What can their friendship withstand? Trials, guilt, love?

Narrated by Brad Pitt, I was mostly pleased, but wished he would have spoken a little louder. He was very soft spoken, and at times sounded dispassionate. I have yet to see the movie adaptation.

This is a must read for fans of westerns, literary novels, and Cormac McCarthy. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 21, 2014 |
I couldn't put Cormac McCarthy's "All the Pretty Horses" down.... I read it in one day, which is unusual for me. What a terrific story.

The novel tells the story of John Grady Cole and his friend Lacey Rawlins as they their ride horses into Mexico to leave their life in Texas behind. Troubles abound, of course, once they cross the border.

McCarthy's prose is very sparse here -- the lack of quotation marks really grated on me at first, but I guess I got used to it-- but it's very fitting with the gruff and abrupt style of the cowboys he's portraying. This was an excellent story that went places I didn't expect. I'll happily be picking up the next books in the Border Trilogy. ( )
  amerynth | Jul 20, 2014 |
You can’t just nip at darkness, so when you read this book, from page one you feel a threat following you, some animistic urging that keeps you going by the way McCarthy manipulates your demonic love of the sounds of speech.

All the Pretty Horses may indicate McCarthy's desire to come in out of the cold of those Tennessee mountain winters, but his imagination is at its best there with Arthur Ownby or with the monstrous Judge of Blood Meridian drowning dogs. He is best with what nature gives or imposes, rather than with the observations of culture.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Review of Books, Denis Donoghue (pay site) (Jun 24, 1993)

The magnetic attraction of Mr. McCarthy's fiction comes first from the extraordinary quality of his prose; difficult as it may sometimes be, it is also overwhelmingly seductive. Powered by long, tumbling many-stranded sentences, his descriptive style is elaborate and elevated, but also used effectively to frame realistic dialogue, for which his ear is deadly accurate.

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolf, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The candleflame and the image of the candleflame caught in the pierglass twisted and righted when he entered the hall and again when he shut the door.
There were storms to the south and masses of clouds that moved slowly along the horizon with their long dark tendrils trailing in the rain. That night they camped on a ledge of rock above the plains and watched the lightning all along the horizon provoke from the seamless dark the distant mountain ranges again and again. (p. 93 of original ed.)
The boy who rode on slightly before him sat a horse not only as if he'd been born to it which he was but as if he were begot by malice or mischance into some queer land where horses never were he would have found them anyway.
He thought that in the beauty of the world hid a secret. He thought the world’s heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world’s pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679744398, Paperback)

Part bildungsroman, part horse opera, part meditation on courage and loyalty, this beautifully crafted novel won the National Book Award in 1992. The plot is simple enough. John Grady Cole, a 16-year-old dispossessed Texan, crosses the Rio Grande into Mexico in 1949, accompanied by his pal Lacey Rawlins. The two precocious horsemen pick up a sidekick--a laughable but deadly marksman named Jimmy Blevins--encounter various adventures on their way south and finally arrive at a paradisiacal hacienda where Cole falls into an ill-fated romance. Readers familiar with McCarthy's Faulknerian prose will find the writing more restrained than in Suttree and Blood Meridian. Newcomers will be mesmerized by the tragic tale of John Grady Cole's coming of age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:14 -0400)

The story of young John Grady Cole, the last of a long line of Texas ranchers, who, along with two companions, sets off on an idyllic, sometimes comic adventure, to a place where dreams are paid for in blood.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible