The Garden of Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

The Garden of Rama (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Arthur C. Clarke

Member:jbrains
Title:The Garden of Rama
Authors:Arthur C. Clarke
Info:Spectra (1992), Paperback, 528 pages

The Garden of Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (1991)

Torn on this one...the story might have gotten three stars for being a relatively mindless read with fairly good flow, it was still mightily flawed. First, two men should not presume to write first person from a female perspective - even if one of those men claims to have bounced the story off of his wife; the first quarter of the book was in the form of diary entries of a carryover female character from Rama II...and reminded me of early sci-fi sexism. The second quarter was decent enough science fiction, but the entire last half of the book was a tiresome play on the failings of the human race, replete with a ton of caricatures and cardboard characters. And if the authors's bludgeoning polemic wasn't enough, what made them write dialogue using 20th century slurs and prejudices when the story takes pace 200 years in the future? I am guessing that much of this came from Gentry Lee, but then Clarke typically was weak on human interactions. I think I'll need to put some time between this one and Rama Revealed (I'm stubborn - I still intend to read as much Clark this year as I can.) ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
5 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
Aarrgghhh! These people are succeeding in getting me totally frustrated -- the ending gave me no choice but to read the next installment. I'm hooked! ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
The problem of human aggression, and What Clarke things would result from cooping up people with other life forms is dealt with here, as well as peripherally, the problems of lack of transparency in government. The addition of Gentry Lee to the writing team may be a mark of ACC's advancing age. An interesting but not compelling read. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 16, 2013 |
Sooo, disappointing. Enjoyed reading about the parts about Rama, totally disliked the whole human parts of it and specially towards the end. And hated how suddenly when people are found alone on strange lands/ships/planets where they might never see another living person, they immediately think "Oh my, how are we EVER gonna populate this place? Lets get it on!"
Nevermind at the point they still could have explored a lot more of Rama's secrets, or minded their survival even more than they did, or even tried to interact more with other species, etc. No no, lets propagate our species first.
Also totally miffed about insertion of typical human reaction ("shoot first, ask later"). Since we're doing sci-fi, can we 'fictionize' it a bit more and pretend humans actually think?
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |

Clarke, Arthur C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Gentrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Gentrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swendsen, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two nights ago, at 10:44 Greenwich time on the Earth, Simone Tiasso Wakefield greeted the universe.

In the spellbinding Arthur C. Clarke tradition, here is an exhilarating adventure into the hearts of both the Universe and mankind...

By the twenty-third century Earth has already had two encounters with massive, mysterious robotic spacecraft from beyond our solar system--the incontestable proof of an alien technology that far exceeds our own. Now three human cosmonauts are trapped aboard a labyrinthine Raman vessel, where it will take all of their physical and mental resources to surviv. Only twelve years into their journey do these intrepid travelers learn their destination and face their ultimate challenge: a rendevous with a Raman base--and the unseen architects of their galactic home. The cosmonauts have given up family, friends, and possessions to live a new kind of life. But the answers that await them at the Raman Node will require an even greater sacrifice--if humanity is indeed ready to learn the awe-inspiring truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

Sequel to: Rama II. During the 23rd century, three human cosmonauts learn of their destination and their challenge in a rendezvous with a Raman base.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible