Rituals: The Cainsville Series by Kelley…

Rituals: The Cainsville Series (edition 2017)

by Kelley Armstrong (Author)

Member:krau0098
Title:Rituals: The Cainsville Series
Authors:Kelley Armstrong (Author)
Info:Random House Canada (2017), 496 pages
Collections:Already Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:urban fantasy, mystery, faerie

Rituals by Kelley Armstrong

Talk about bad mothers, it's hard to imagine worse than Seanna, Gabriel's druggie abusive, absent, but the story behind that is a huge darkness of sluagh manipulations. Lots of great bits in this fast moving complex story, but I remained totally unclear as to what Liv's exact choices were - how in any sense she could choose the sluagh other than becoming evil in a way that just wasn't her, how her choosing one or the other of Tylwyth Teg or Cŵn Annwn would benefit the sluagh considering all the efforts they are revealed to gone to to get to the point where she has to make one. Could the sluagh be trying to corrupt one or both of the champions as a result of Liv's choice? The revealed details of the original Arawn's actions are the most interesting bits, but that really just gets us back to the original 'those two guys were real twits, our new guy are actually improvements'. I was expecting the final choice to be one whereby Tylwyth Teg and Cŵn Annwn were more unified and could both be part of a more enriched realm as a sort of re-unified entity, and thus my disappointed expectation re-enforce the confused view of the book's thrust. Oh, and Liv's adoptive mother and her whole previous life have entirely been dropped for the last two volumes, leaving a sort of hollowness behind her character. ( )
  quondame | Apr 15, 2018 |
A fitting ending to a great series, and what a rollercoaster ride it's been. Twists and turns in this last installment, with quite a few that weren't even hinted at before giving this series new surprises until the very end. As we turn the last few chapter on Cainsville, I must say I'll miss this odd crew of fae, mythical creatures, mayhem, murder, mystery, traps, betrayals, double crosses and so much more. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
This is the final volume of the Cainsville books and brings the story to a satisfying conclusion. Gabriel's mother makes a surprising reappearance. After years of abusing him, she abandoned him when he was fifteen leaving him to survive on the street. Gabriel is a success but it has come at great cost. It is only recently the Liv discovered photos showing that Gabriel's mother died of an overdose soon after she abandoned him. Turns out that Seanna faked her own death and ran from trouble.

Liv has some mother-issues too. Her parents are convicted serial killers. She was adopted and her new family had a loving father and a distant mother. Now that her adoptive father is dead, she doesn't have much of a relationship with her adoptive mother. Gabriel was her parents' lawyer which is how they met. After growing up as a trust fund baby, Liv now works for him as an investigator. They are investigating the murders her parents supposedly committed. Liv would love to get her father out of prison because she is convinced that it was her mother who was the murderer. But her father remains loyal to her mother and isn't quite as innocent as Liv believes.

Learning more about the crimes is where the magic comes into this story. Liv, Gabriel and Liv's ex-boyfriend Ricky are the latest iterations of an ancient trio who control the fates of the fae. Gabriel and Ricky represent the two main kinds of fae with Liv supposed to choose which of them to love. And by choosing, strengthening that sort of fae. Throughout these stories Liv has been told that she has to choose and both groups are courting her.

It is in this story that Liv, Gabriel and Ricky learn that there is a third sort of fae who has been manipulating them all from before they were born. The sluagh manipulated events that caused Gabriel's birth and Liv's parents' crime spree. Unlike the other two groups of fae, they are threatening Liv rather than trying to court her. This manipulation makes Liv, who is already stubborn, even more determined to chart her own path. All three agree that they need to stand together to set their own future instead of repeating the errors of the past.

The story was filled with action and adventure. I liked the romance between Gabriel and Liv. I also like the touches of humor supplied by the dryads and also liked how they became heroes too. This was a very enjoyable series with a fascinating story and engaging characters. ( )
  kmartin802 | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was the fifth and final book in the Cainsville series. I absolutely loved this whole series and this book was just as wonderful as all the others. I am so sad this series is over.

This is the book where all the secrets and mysteries finally come together. Gabriel’s supposedly dead mother enters the story and we find out even more about both Gabriel’s and Olivia’s pasts. The story continues to be mainly an urban fantasy mystery with some elements of fae in it.

I don’t want to say a whole lot else about the plot because of spoilers. So, let’s talk about the writing style. This book is so well written and so easy to read. The settings are easy to picture and really come alive, the characters are engaging and interesting, the story mysterious and masterfully revealed.

You do get a lot of page space with Olivia and Gabriel in this book and that was absolutely amazing. I was just very pleased with how engaging and entertaining this was and happy with how everything was wrapped up.

Overall this was an excellent conclusion to the Cainsville series. While I am sad to see this series end, I was also very please with how everything wrapped up. I would recommend this series to those who enjoy investigative urban fantasy with fae themes. This is one of my favorite urban fantasy series and I hope to re-read it at some point. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 10, 2017 |

The fifth book and the exciting conclusion to bestselling author Kelley Armstrong's "impossible-to-put-down" Cainsville series, in which she mixes hard-hitting crime writing with phenomenal world-building to create a brand of fiction all her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Mar 2017 12:03:59 -0500)

"When Olivia Taylor-Jones found out she was not actually the adopted child of a privileged Chicago family but of a notorious pair of convicted serial killers, her life exploded. Running from the fall-out, she found a refuge in the secluded but oddly welcoming town of Cainsville, Illinois, but she couldn't resist trying to dig out the truth about her birth parents' crimes. She began working with Gabriel Walsh, a fiendishly successful criminal lawyer who also had links to the town; their investigation soon revealed Celtic mysteries at work in Cainsville, and also entangled Olivia in a tense love triangle with the calculating Gabriel and her charming biker boyfriend, Ricky. Worse, troubling visions revealed to Olivia that the three of them were reenacting an ancient drama pitting the elders of Cainsville against the mysterious Huntsmen with Olivia as the prize. In the series' fifth and final novel, not only does Gabriel's drug addict mother, who he thought was dead, make a surprise reappearance, but Kelley Armstrong delivers a final scary and surprising knock-out twist. It turns out a third supernatural force has been at work all along, a dark and malevolent entity that has had its eye on Olivia since she was a baby and wants to win at any cost."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,973,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible