Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton

English (39)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (41)
Reviews: I believe this was her last book. It reads as if she and someone else wrote it because it’s not as tight and smooth flowing and plot is hard to follow.
Quality: good but her other books in this A-Z series are much better ( )
  RickWeaver | Apr 22, 2019 |
When I started this, the alphabet still ended at "Z."

Bittersweet to finish this book just after Grafton herself has left this mortal plain. There will be no "Z" and Kinsey will have to live on in A-Y alone.

There were a lot of twists and turns and typical Kinsey-in-danger moments - I certainly enjoyed the book, though, I think it could have been tightened up. I got a little tired of the jumps between 1979 and 1989 as we slowly got details of the original murder in the story.

Still, I enjoyed the story and the am happy for all the volumes in Kinsey's career. I first read these as audiobooks read, like this one, by Judy Kaye. She will always be the voice of Kinsey Milhone in my mind.
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
very good indepth story. lits of twists and turns. ( )
  sandra.pinkerton83 | Apr 16, 2019 |
BOTTOM-LINE:
A good last book, not an awesome one
PLOT OR PREMISE:
With Sue Grafton's death, there will be no Z book, so this is the last official Kinsey story. In it, she looks back at a cold case where four rich students filmed the rape of a young girl, someone stole the tape and was murdered, a court case sent two to jail, and the ringleader skipped town. Fast-forward, one of the jailed ones is out of prison, and he receives a copy of the missing tape with a blackmail demand. The parents want Kinsey's help to ensure they only pay once, or ideally, not at all.
WHAT I LIKED:
As with previous cold cases, the story bops back and forth between the past and the present. Unlike the previous books, the jumps back don't seem as jarring, and the "kids" in the past seem realistic. Angst, jealousy, bravado, all of it.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The story drags a bit in the present getting to the end, and the premise of all the kids in the present still being in contact together is really far-fetched. The explanation of what exactly happened in the past for the murdered girl was great right up until the murder. And the epilogue is extremely unsatisfying.
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow her on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Mar 23, 2019 |
(11) Oh so sad - the end of the series. . . before Z. It has been awhile since I have read X (? a year or two) and I was so sad to hear the author died recently. I was disappointed but surely understood why no one felt they should finish the series for her. But I feel a bit bereft to end Kinsey without any type of closure. But lets face it; knowing what we know about Grafton. . . you know Kinsey wouldn't have just ended; tied up in a neat bow -- it would have been just another case, just another day, just another peanut butter and pickle sandwich and a glass of cheap chardonnay - hey look, you know you are just like me down deep inside, you just won't admit it. So certainly besides the author's death, this is likely the way Kinsey would have chosen to go out anyway.

This is a good case -a sex tape made by some clueless prep school kids in the late 80's -- ooh, a 'VHS tape.' A murder of a classmate seemingly solved; the perp gets out of juvie 10 years later and voila someone finds the missing sex tape and the intrigue starts all over. In addition, the serial killer after Kinsey shows up again. I seem to have forgotten a lot about him; but vaguely remember the concept of someone after Kinsey from book to book. In this one he snatches Ed! Unforgiveable! Oh - and a dog enters Kinsey's life.

All and all, while there were some duds in the series and I do concede that Grafton loves to describe pointless detail about pedestrian interior design and clothing - I have only positive things to say about the series as a whole. I mean really - as a professional woman of a certain age - how can you NOT love Kinsey? So self-deprecating, so arch, so cut out the bullshit. Her honesty about what one really values in life ( I mean not the things you write in your cover letter but the things you feel in your heart) are so refreshing. We all hate to exercise, we love when we think we got something for nothing, we hate pretentious people who are fashionable, tan, and rich, we're kinda cheap, love processed food, wear the same outfit again and again even if less than squeaky clean, and let's face it -- we think wine goes with everything. (OK, maybe that's just me.) But it is certainly Kinsey, and I will miss her.

R.I.P. Sue Grafton. A liberating detective series. I am better for having met Kinsey, Henry, Rosie and company. This was a fine installment. ( )
  jhowell | Mar 4, 2019 |
This book is dedicated to those in our small clan who will carry forward into the future: Addison and Taylor, Kinsey and Houston, Erin and Daniel, and Jacob. May you live with honesty, integrity, and compassion, offering the occasional heartfelt hurrahs to your ancient Nana, who loves you beyond belief.
Iris stood at the counter in the school office, detention slip in hand, anticipating a hand-smack from Mr. Lucas, the vice principal.

The darkest and most disturbing case report from the files of Kinsey Millhone, Y begins in 1979, when four teenage boys from an elite private school sexually assault a fourteen-year-old classmate—and film the attack.  Not long after, the tape goes missing and the suspected thief, a fellow classmate, is murdered. In the investigation that follows, one boy turns state’s evidence and two of his peers are convicted. But the ringleader escapes without a trace.
                Now, it’s 1989 and one of the perpetrators, Fritz McCabe, has been released from prison. Moody, unrepentant, and angry, he is a virtual prisoner of his ever-watchful parents—until a copy of the missing tape arrives with a ransom demand. That’s when the McCabes call Kinsey Millhone for help. As she is drawn into their family drama, she keeps a watchful eye on Fritz. But he’s not the only one being haunted by the past. A vicious sociopath with a grudge against Millhone may be leaving traces of himself for her to find…

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Mar 2017 14:02:35 -0500)

"Of #1 New York Times-bestselling author Sue Grafton, NPR's Maureen Corrigan said, "Makes me wish there were more than 26 letters." With only one letter left, Grafton's many devoted readers will share that sentiment. The darkest and most disturbing case report from the files of Kinsey Millhone, Y is for Yesterday begins in 1979, when four teenage boys from an elite private school sexually assault a fourteen-year-old classmate--and film the attack. Not long after, the tape goes missing and the suspected thief, a fellow classmate, is murdered. In the investigation that follows, one boy turns state's evidence and two of his peers are convicted. But the ringleader escapes without a trace. Now, it's 1989 and one of the perpetrators, Fritz McCabe, has been released from prison. Moody, unrepentant, and angry, he is a virtual prisoner of his ever-watchful parents--until a copy of the missing tape arrives with a ransom demand. That's when the McCabes call Kinsey Millhone for help. As she is drawn into their family drama, she keeps a watchful eye on Fritz. But he's not the only one being haunted by the past. A vicious sociopath with a grudge against Millhone may be leaving traces of himself for her to find"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,473,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible