The Golden Torc by Julian May

The Golden Torc (original 1981; edition 1982)

by Julian May

Title:The Golden Torc
Authors:Julian May
Info:Pan MacMillan (1982), Paperback
Tags:fiction, sf, bibliophil, read, 2005, A081, A136

The Golden Torc by Julian May (1981)

Recently added byDuchessofHazard, Veronica.Sparrow, Dr.RTC, Spurts, ChristophTC, private library

Dutch (3)  English (3)  All languages (6)
The Golden Torc follows the wonderful start of this Pliocene Exile series, The Many-Colored Land. This book is just as good as the first. Humans in the near future have been discovered by the aliens of the Galactic Milieu. This 'intervention' was precipitated by the development of active mental powers in humans. The aliens have a benevolent galactic 'Unity', or mental collective. However - not all humans fit in, as usual. A time portal back to a specific location and time is discovered, back to the Pliocene Era. Unfortunately aliens from another galaxy arrived first and the humans that go back in time must contend against them.
In this second book, the humans and aliens try to find a balance. Some want to go back, others want to be left alone and others want to live in peace. There's also a new faction - a group of renegade human operants from the future.
I found these books to be excellent in setting and plot. They aren't overly heavy on details or characters. The characters are bold and memorable and the setting is very, very well done. One of my favorite books. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 26, 2015 |
I'm rereading a much loved series. And while it is a little dated, it's still a charming series with creative world building and great breadth of vision. Excellent fantasy, set when humans from the future go back to the pliocene era in a one way, one stop time machine and find that there is already a sentient race living there. All sorts of adventures ensue. ( )
  amf0001 | May 18, 2007 |

Julian Mayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Open the door to us, and we will see the orchards,
We will drink their cold water where the moon
     has left its trace.
The long road burns, hostile to strangers.
We wander without knowing and fine no place . . .

Before us is the door; what use for us to wish?
Better to turn away, abandoning hope.
We will never enter. We are weary of seeing it.
The door, opening, let so much silence escape.

That neither the orchards appeared nor any flower;
Only the immense space where emptiness and light are
Was suddenly everywhere present, overflowed the heart,
And washed our eyes almost blind under the dust.

—"The Threshold," Simone Weil
translated by William Burford
For Barbara,
nurse and redactor and sternman
The dragonfly hovered, a golden spark, just above the bare mast of the motionless boat.

Exiled beyond the time-portal into the world of six million years ago, the misfits of the 22nd century are enmeshed in the age-old war of two alien races. In this strange world, each year brings the ritual combat between the Firvulag and the Tanu. This is the sequel to "The Many-Coloured Land".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:34 -0400)

A small group journeyed through a time-gate into Europe's prehistoric past. Yet this supposedly unspoilt sanctuary holds two alien races locked in combat. In a world where the human-like Tanu have the upper hand, Elizabeth Orme soon encounters trouble. When they find she possesses rare mind powers, they want her for their own. She won't be used as a pawn in a Tanu versus Firvulag war, but Aiken Drum can't wait to get involved. Aiken discovers the Tanu's mind-enhancing torcs have given him his own powerful abilities. And it's not long before he devises a plan to challenge the Tanu's leader - for rule of the Many-Coloured Land itself. But another faction seeks the slaughter of all humans, and he stands in their path.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible