The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

The Grand Sophy (1950)

by Georgette Heyer

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Lord Rutherford's Last Retort by Elizabeth Harcourt (ClareDauncey)
    Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.

English (101)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (106)
This is a gorgeously warm-hearted story, with one of the most appealing Heyer heroines I’ve met so far. Having lost her mother as an infant, Sophia Stanton-Lacy has been brought up by her erratic diplomat father, Sir Horace. While most girls would be planning coming-out balls, Sophy has been playing hostess to officers and noblemen in Spain, Brussels and Paris. Capable, shrewd, game and compassionate, she makes friends easily and delights in helping those she loves – though her plots are rarely suitable for the faint-hearted. When Sir Horace is posted to Brazil, Sophy comes to stay with her aunt Lady Ombersley’s family in London. Expecting a poor little orphan, they are little prepared for the storm of personality that sweeps in among them. And this is only the beginning, for Sophy rapidly sees that her family have got themselves into a terrible tangle, which only she can solve…

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2019/04/28/the-grand-sophy-georgette-heyer/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Apr 28, 2019 |
When her father is ordered to South America on Diplomatic Business, Sophy Stanton-Lacy, is parked with his sister in Berkeley Square where she takes it upon herself to right the many wrongs she finds. Admittedly, this isn't really my cup of tea, but I thought I should give one Heyer a chance since she is so well thought of by many readers. It's an entertaining read, but Sophy irritates me a lot when she is bossy and decides that she knows better than anyone else. Of course, the story is made for her, so her schemes work out beautifully, so she's like an Emma that never learns humility. Hmm, not sure I like that. Decent way to spend my time, but am not picking up any more of Heyer's novels. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 22, 2019 |
I adored this book! The Grand Sophy descends upon her cousins, schemes madly to improve their lives and then comes up with an even crazier scheme to fix her mess. Sophy was an absolute delight, a clever roguish heroine, with a heart of gold, capable of driving fiesty horses, firing pistols, matchmaking and planning parties. Georgette Heyer seems to be a genius writer, like Jane Austen gone wild. I was smiling from start to finish. I can't wait to read the rest of her books. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
When I first wanted to try Heyer's romances to see what all the fuss was about, the two books that were most often recommended to me were this one and Frederica. I started with this one, and it was the beginning of a beautiful relationship between Georgette and me.

The Ombersleys are leading a relatively quiet life among the Upper Ten Thousand of British society in the Regency period, when Lady Ombersley's brother, a diplomat who lives abroad mostly, drops his 19-year-old daughter, Sophia, on them for an extended visit. Sir Horace is being sent to Brazil and doesn't want to take Sophy along (her mother having died when she was a little girl).

It doesn't take long for Sophy to upend the family, with her gifts of pet monkeys and knack for ruffling the feathers of high society in general and stodgy eldest son Charles in particular. It's a madcap ride toward the eventual happy ending for all involved, and Heyer's deft touch with meticulously recreating the time period combined with her sly sense of humor keeps the pages turning all the way. ( )
  rosalita | Jul 17, 2018 |
I first read this book 50 years ago. The re-read had me laughing out loud many times. I believe the word "irrepressible" suits Ms. Sophy well. I thought it was delightful that her father had her number and that she found a man who was not only willing to take her on but knew exactly what he was getting into in doing so. Such fun. ( )
  whymaggiemay | May 7, 2018 |
"By now entrenched in the Regency subgenre she had created, for her next novel, The Grand Sophy, Georgette Heyer created a protagonist able to both challenge its rules and manipulate its characters, and a tightly knitted plot whose final scene almost begs for a stage dramatization. The result is either among her best or most infuriating books, depending upon the reader. I find it both."
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Mari Ness (May 28, 2013)

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coulter, CatherineForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Donkersloot, PietCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kauer, Edmund TheodorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kesteren-Clifford, Milly vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodward, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The butler, recognizing her ladyship's only surviving brother at a glance, as he afterward informed his less percipient subordinates, favored Sir Horace with a low bow, and took it upon himself to say that my lady, although not at home to less nearly connected persons, would be happy to see him.

When the redoubtable Sir Horace Stanton-Lacy is ordered to South America on business, he leaves his only daughter Sophia with his sister, Elizabeth Rivenhall, in Berkeley Square. Newly arrived from her tour of the Continent, Sophy invites herself into the circle of her relatives. When Lady Ombersley agrees to take in her young niece, no one expects Sophy, who sweeps in and immediately takes the ton by storm. Beautiful, gay, impulsive, shockingly direct, Sophy swept into elegant London society and scattered conventions and traditions before her like wisps in a windstorm. Resourceful, adventurous and utterly indefatigable, Sophy is hardly the mild-mannered girl that the Rivenhalls expect when they agree to take her in. Kind-hearted Aunt Lizzy is shocked, and her arrogant stern cousin Charles Rivenhall, the Ombersley heir, vows to rid his family of her meddlesome ways by marrying her off.

But vibrant and irrepressible Sophy was no stranger to managing delicate situations. After all, she'd been keeping opportunistic females away from her widowed father for years. But staying with her relatives could be her biggest challenge yet. But Sophy discovers that her aunt's family is in desperate need of her talent for setting everything right: her aunt's husband is of no use at all, her ruthlessly handsome cousin Charles has tyrannical tendencies that are being aggravated by his pedantic bluestocking fiancee Eugenia Wraxton; her lovely cousin Cecelia was smitten with an utterly unsuitable suitor, a beautiful but feather-brained poet; her cousin Herbert was in dire financial straits and has fallen foul of a money-lender; and the younger children are in desperate need of some fun and freedom, and Sophy's arrived just in time to save them all.

With her inimitable mixture of exuberance and grace Sophy became the mainstay of her hilariously bedeviled family, as a horsewoman, social leader and above all, as an ingenious match-maker. Using her signature unorthodox methods, Sophy set out to solve all of their problems. By the time she's done, Sophy has commandeered household and Charles's horses, but she finds herself increasingly drawn to her eldest cousin. Could it be that the Grand Sophy had finally met her match? Can she really be falling in love with him, and he with her? And what of his betrothal to grim Eugenia?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140221894X, Paperback)

Sophy sets everything right for her desperate family in one of Georgette Heyer's most popular Regency romances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

When Lady Ombersley agrees to take in her young niece, no one expects Sophy, who sweeps in and immediately takes the ton by storm. Sophy discovers that her aunt's family is in desperate need of her talent for setting everything right: Ceclia is in love with a poet, Charles has tyrannical tendencies that are being aggravated by his grim fiancee, her uncle is of no use at all, and the younger children are in desperate need of some fun and freedom. By the time she's done, Sophy has commandeered Charles's horses, his household, and finally, his heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,715,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible