The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

The Grand Sophy (original 1950; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:Crazymamie
Title:The Grand Sophy
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Completed in 2012

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (1950)

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (Bjace)
    Bjace: While it's not in the same genre, the books are similiar. Both Sophy and Flora Post are Miss Fix-its, whose practical, problem-solving approach to life is a contrast to the silliness of their relatives. Also, both are delightful reads in different ways.
    Lord Rutherford's Last Retort by Elizabeth Harcourt (ClareDauncey)
    Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.

English (85)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (90)
Another delightful novel by Georgette Heyer! When Sophia Stanton-Lacy makes arrives at the Ombersley residence to spend the season, her entrance was certainly "grand" and created a noticeable shift in the tone of the book. Suddenly the world Ombersley's world seemed to brighten and all sorts of mischief came into play. I loved Sophy's attitude and she was certainly fearless! Her antics kept Charles on his toes and much to my delight, frustrated his "dead bore" of a fiancee. As always, Heyer treats us to a lovely HEA with lots of humor and memorable characters to help make it happen along the way. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Jun 22, 2016 |
This is not my favorite Georgette Heyer book (Cotillion still holds my heart, I'm afraid), but her books are remarkably readable and fun and this was definitely an enjoyable romp.

Regency romances (and this is, although that is probably not really my favorite part, a Regency romance) and I have a curious relationship. They are one of those genres that I tend to like the idea of more than the actual result. Some of it is my curious relationship with the whole romance genre (I like, and often even require romance in my books, but generally heavily mixed with something else), and some of it due to the fact that Jane Austen kind of holds the title for the genre, and very few things really manage to hold up in comparison for me.

Setting that minor digression aside, The Grand Sophy was charming, and a large portion of that was due to the main character. Sophy is one of those characters you want to see succeed at whatever she is currently turning her hand to. She's outrageous enough you completely understand London being turned upside-down simply by her existence, but despite a bit of a temper and maybe just a soupçon of bossiness, she genuinely has people's best interests at heart, even when she seems not to, and watching her arrange things to the satisfaction of herself and those she loves best is a remarkable venture.

I did see pretty early on where this was actually going in almost all respects, but the journey itself was worth every moment. People are in love who shouldn't be. People aren't in love who should be. Good people deserve a happy ending and bad people don't. It's relatively basic fare, but it's all handled with a style and panache that makes you genuinely like the characters and thus care about their ends.

I think this book may have sent me rushing back into a Georgette Heyer mood, and I don't regret that a bit. I've heard this book described as one of her best, and I can absolutely see that. ( )
  Hyzie | May 30, 2016 |
The Grand Sophy - Heyer
audio performance by Sarah Woodward
4 stars

All’s well that ends well. With a nod to Jane Austen, a pinch of Charles Dickens and a healthy dollop of Oscar Wilde; this Regency comedy of manners is pure lighthearted entertainment. Sophia Stanton-Lacy arrives for an extended visit with her Aunt and numerous cousins. Her stated goal is husband shopping, but she proceeds to turn the entire household upside down. She shocks the gentry, pulls several irons out of the fire, and rearranges established couples. The plot moves quickly with comic characters and witty dialog. I kept waiting for Sophy to get her come-uppence, but she always stays one step ahead of disaster. And it all comes right in the end.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Not much is apparent in the way of plotting in “The Grand Sophy”, but rather several recurring themes that persist throughout the narrative hold the story together.

Numerous amusing scenes and a cast of entertaining characters make this a good-fun read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Apr 21, 2016 |
The first Heyer book I read was execrable, so I was surprised at how enjoyable I found this one. Yes, the main character is feisty and take-charge, but she’s written consistently (no fainting spells when it pleases the author to have a suddenly submissive heroine) and with a plausible background, so she doesn’t seem anachronistic. It’s a fun little romantic romp. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Woodward, SarahNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The butler, recognizing her ladyship's only surviving brother at a glance, as he afterward informed his less percipient subordinates, favored Sir Horace with a low bow, and took it upon himself to say that my lady, although not at home to less nearly connected persons, would be happy to see him.

When the redoubtable Sir Horace Stanton-Lacy is ordered to South America on diplomatic business, he leaves his only daughter Sophy with his sister's family, the Ombersleys , in Berkeley Square. Upon her arrival, Sophy is bemused to see her cousins in a sad tangle. The heartless and tyrannical Charles is betrothed to a pedantic bluestocking almost as tiresome as himself; Cecilia is besotted with a beautiful but feather-brained poet; and Hubert has fallen foul of a money-lender. It looks like the Grand Sophy has arrived just in time to sort them out, but she hasn't reckoned with Charles, the Ombersleys' heir who has only one thought - to marry her off and rid the family of her meddlesome ways...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140221894X, Paperback)

Sophy sets everything right for her desperate family in one of Georgette Heyer's most popular Regency romances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

When Lady Ombersley agrees to take in her young niece, no one expects Sophy, who sweeps in and immediately takes the ton by storm. Sophy discovers that her aunt's family is in desperate need of her talent for setting everything right: Ceclia is in love with a poet, Charles has tyrannical tendencies that are being aggravated by his grim fiancee, her uncle is of no use at all, and the younger children are in desperate need of some fun and freedom. By the time she's done, Sophy has commandeered Charles's horses, his household, and finally, his heart.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,753,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible