Hölle by Will Elliott

Hölle (edition 2008)

by Will Elliott, Birgit Reß-Bohusch, Birgit Reß-Bohusch (Author), Will Elliott (Author)

Member:nordenhamerbuecherei
Title:Hölle
Authors:Will Elliott
Other authors:Birgit Reß-Bohusch, Birgit Reß-Bohusch (Author), Will Elliott (Author)
Info:Piper Verlag GmbH (2008), Broschiert, 400 pages
Tags:thriller

The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliott

Not quite as much horror as a very dark comedy, this book I sped through as a Halloween read. Its themes of addiction, identity, community, and evil really make for an interestingly thinky book. ( )
  pewterbreath | Nov 3, 2013 |
I read this a few years back when it won the ABC inaugural fiction award. It's truly original and if you ever found clowns just that bit too weird to pass as humorous, this book will reinforce that impression forever. The book itself is oozing with humour; I found it extremely funny, and it had some brilliant character descriptions. I'd go as far as to say I've not read anything quite like it - it's macabre in a less than obvious way, contemporary, stylish. It lagged a bit for me mid-way, but never lost me. Honestly, I had a wail of a time reading this book. ( )
  ZenMoon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Born and based in Brisbane, Will Elliott is the author of the multiple award winning fantasy novel The Pilo Family Circus.

After a bizarre incident in Brisbane on his way home from work, Jamie finds himself being harassed by clowns who trash his house in an obscene manner and eventually recruit him as a clown in their circus. The Pilo Family Circus is located on a different plane between earth and hell, and Jamie finds he is trapped in this strange community.

When Jamie puts on the white face paint of the clowns he becomes a different person, JJ an angry and vicious clown. When the paint is removed, Jamie re-emerges, horror struck at the behaviour of his nemesis JJ.

Not having read a lot of fantasy, the genre was a little unfamiliar to me, however I immersed myself in this new world as much as I could. The blurb promised the book would be 'darkly funny' and 'gleefully macabre' and it certainly was all that. The writing was strong, the violence and conflict felt very sharp and unique and the dilemma Jamie finds himself thrown into was very original and equally as dangerous.

I enjoyed reading about the different sections within the circus (i.e. acrobats, dwarfs, carnies) and would have liked to have discovered more about their individual stories and how they became trapped in the circus. I also recognise however that this would have slowed down the pace of the book, so I guess you can't have it all.

Will Elliott has certainly found success with The Pilo Family Circus, winning the ABC Fiction Award in 2006, amongst many others, including a nomination for the International Horror Guild Award. Will is the first Australian to be nominated in the novel category for this award, and I believe more Australian readers should be familiar with his work. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Dec 9, 2010 |
very disturbing, the only book I have read that has given me nightmares, but i had to finish it. ( )
  jhnhoc | Jun 14, 2010 |
This is an odd little book. Who doesn't find clowns just a tad bit creepy. This book draws you in from the beginning with it's scenes of psycho, killer clowns. Once part two kicks in we're whisked away to the Pilo Family Circus, a deranged place where our protagonist begins to fit right in. This is a novel, that you're never quite sure which way we're heading, but you'll enjoy the trip there nonetheless. Expect violence, a bit of non-explicit sex, and plenty of head games in the pages. Nothing seems out of place. I was a bit worried, once we arrived at the circus that this would turn into a dreamy, psychotic place where it would be difficult to follow, but I was rewarded with a story that was easy to read and understand. One disappointment I had was the ending did wrap up a bit too quickly and cleanly leaving quite a few threads hanging. Not sure if this was too increase the mystery or to pave the way for a sequel.

This book was set in Australia and I've got to say that I was a bit nervous starting this. When I read books by authors from outside the US (mostly British) I tend to find the subtle differences in language and sentence structure difficult to follow at times. It's a subtle thing and hard to truly explain, I just find British books hard to read and enjoy. I was expecting the same from this one. But I have to say that this was an easy read and other than a few town names I didn't realize I was reading a book set elsewhere. Some may find that a negative, but I was happy. For me, the book became much more accessible. Truly enjoyed this one. ( )
1 vote harpua | Mar 16, 2010 |
Für meine Eltern
Jamie's tyres squealed to a halt, and the first thought to pass through his head was I almost killed it, rather than, I almost killed him.

“You have two days to pass your audition. You better pass it, feller. You’re joining the circus. Ain’t that the best news you ever got?” Delivered by a trio of psychotic clowns, this ultimatum plunges Jamie into the horrific alternate universe that is the centuries-old Pilo Family Circus, a borderline world between Hell and Earth from which humankind’s greatest tragedies have been perpetrated. Yet in this place - peopled by the gruesome, grotesque, and monstrous - where violence and savagery are the norm, Jamie finds that his worst enemy is himself. When he applies the white face paint, he is transformed into JJ, the most vicious clown of all. And JJ wants Jamie dead!

Jamie is plunged into the horrific alternate universe of the Pilo Family Circus, a borderline world between Hell and Earth from which humankind's greatest tragedies have been perpetuated. Yet, in this place - peopled by the gruesome, grotesque, and monstrous, where violence and savagery are the norm-Jamie finds that his worst enemy is himself. When he applies the white face paint, he is transformed into JJ, the most vicious clown of all. And JJ wants Jamie dead.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible