The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry,…

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear

by Audrey Wood, Don Wood

2,204522,944 (4.24)9

I love this book for many reasons. First, I have emotional ties to this book. It was the first book my younger brother, who has a learning disability, was able to read and understand on his own. Another thing that I like about this book was the way it was written. Instead of third or first person, the narrator is talking to the little mouse character. It is a refreshing change of perspectives. I have yet to see another children's book use this technique. The way it is written relies on the reader to use their comprehension skills to follow along with the conversation between the narrator and wordless mouse. For example, the book starts "Hello, little Mouse. What are you doing? Oh, I see. Are you going to pick that red, ripe strawberry?" The mouse never answers but stands next to a strawberry with a latter and a smile. For my brother who had a real difficulty comprehending anything he read, this book was a great tool to use. Finally, I liked the plot twist at the end. The whole time the narrator was trying to help the mouse hide the strawberry from the bear, but he/she really was tricking the mouse into sharing the strawberry. There is no real moral or big message to the story other than to entertain the reader. ( )
  cduke3 | Dec 4, 2014 |
As I have read more and more this semester, I have found that there are so many fantastic books for teaching math. This is one that takes a concept that can sometimes be hard, fractions, and makes it easy and fun. I love books that can do that for kids! ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 4, 2014 |
This is a very cute book. It is about a little mouse trying to save a big ripe strawberry from a big bear! As the reader, we are working together to save this strawberry. Then, we will soon share it together. The illustration is perfectly done to fit the story. ( )
  kfisher524 | Nov 23, 2014 |
The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and THE BIG HUNGRY BEAR is one of my most favorite children’s fictional books for two specific reasons: the point of view, and the illustrations. Throughout the book each of these reasons support the message of the story to its readers: don’t let fear prevent you from doing or getting what you want.

First, the narrator’s point of view enables this story to be very funny, unique, and engaging. The reader becomes aware that the point of view is of a narrator based off the first page which reads, “Hello, little Mouse. What are you doing?” The next page reads, “Oh, I see. You are going to pick that red, ripe strawberry?” Also, I love how the mouse looks as though he is looking directly at the readers, as though we are really conversing with the little mouse. Furthermore, I feel as though it is the narrator who is putting fear in the little mouse. Thus, the message of the story is derived from the narrator. The little mouse should not fear what the narrator is saying, and do what he wishes.

Next, the illustrations are absolutely fabulous throughout the whole book! I especially loved a particular page where the whole page looks as though it is shaking. The little mouse is holding the strawberry, and looks absolutely terrified. The text that coincides with this picture reads, “The big hungry Bear can smell a red, ripe strawberry a mile away…” So, the picture is showing how scared he is of this unseen bear.

Read this book! It’s such a cute read! ( )
  sarahbassett | Nov 2, 2014 |
This mouse found this really ripe strawberry and he has to come up ways to try and keep the strawberry away from the bear that wants to eat it. This story is a cute one to read to kids because it's kind of suspenseful but also funny at the same time. The picture in it huge so it helps the kids feel fully engaged in the story. This story is better for younger kids because it is a semi simple read. ( )
  jordyngingeryan | Oct 19, 2014 |

Wood, Audreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, Donmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hello, little Mouse.

First published in 1984, a picture book in which the Little Mouse will do all he can to save his strawberry from the Big, Hungry Bear, even if it means sharing it with the reader. The Little Mouse and the Big Hungry Bear are known and loved by millions of children around the world. Little Mouse loves strawberries, but so does the bear...How will Little Mouse stop the bear from eating his freshly picked, red, ripe strawberry.

Book Details:Format: HardcoverPublication Date: 1/1/2001Pages: 32

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:37 -0400)

Little Mouse worries that the big, hungry bear will take his freshly picked, ripe, red strawberry for himself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible