The Magic of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt Jr.

The Magic of Recluce (1991)

by L. E. Modesitt Jr.

The Death of Chaos by L. E. Modesitt Jr. (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The Death of Chaos is the direct sequel to The Magic of Recluce, and continues the story from Lerris' perspective. It is also written from Lerris' first-person perspective, unlike most of the other Recluce books which are in third-person.
    A Cast of Stones by Patrick W. Carr (Mav.Weirdo)
    The Initiate by Louise Cooper (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Two different takes on the theme of Order and Chaos, and the balance between them or lack thereof.

This is not the normal sort of book I’d read, as I’m not a huge fan of High Fantasy. But I read this as park of GroupRead on Instragram and I’m glad I did.
Modesitt has a talented for character and world-building. When we start, the main character Lerris is a bored whiny directionless boy. You know, a teenager. But in Recluse, his home country, a world of Order, his attitude creates Chaos. So he is sent on away, to find out if he wants to live by the rules of Recluse (Order) or if he wants to live in the Chaos that the rest of the world resides in.
Through this, Lerris learns and here is where Modesitt’s talent with character development because apparent. Lerris goes from a whiny child to an adult with courage and wisdom. It’s fantastic.
As for the world building – the idea of Order and Chaos as magic, the history of the planet, the dark and light, it’s intriguing. In particular, the idea that Chaos magic can help people (food and warmth) but too much causes problems, while Order seems cold and heartless, but in the end, in can bring balance. I want to read more of this world, to learn more about the difference between the magic.
If you enjoy well-developed characters, intriguing world-building, and epic fantasy stories, read this! ( )
  empress8411 | Nov 8, 2017 |
definitely a shallow book, but enjoyable. You don't see the character grow up, they simply change. But I liked the whole reversal of the typical White, Grey and Black of the types of magic. This is a series about Order vs Chaos. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I rather liked this. I suspect it's a marmite book though. Hence this being more of an anti-review than a review. I also suspect I will come back to this once I've read further down the series.

On the surface it's a typical fantasy saga starter - young boy of modest means, goes on a quest to save the world, kind of thing. Except it's made pretty clear that isn't what's happening at all. Lerris is not of modest means, he's not going on a quest by choice, it's exile, and his task is less to save the world, than to figure out how to not be a nitwit and ruin it all with the great power he might be able to wield, if he ever learns how. And so with a modicum of training (but not all that much, relatively) he is set adrift.

Specifics then: Lots of the things that other reviewers complain about didn't bother me, or even were my favourite bits.

The pace (or lack of, in places) was fine for me. I deeply appreciated the way Lerris figured out his own abilities, and how to finish his quest Lerris was very young - but smart. The idea that given time, enough clues, and left to his own devices, things would "click" did not at all surprise me, that's how my brain works, and how one of my daughters does too. She, in particular will ask all day long for answers to study questions - but I learnt long ago if I tell her the answer, and ask again tomorrow, she's forgotten. It makes her whine when I go all Socratic method on her, but then a half hour later when we're doing dishes or something else entirely, she'll suddenly say "Oh! I got it!" My other kids are not at all like this (despite which, they also got the Socratic treatment, because it's how *my* brain works, as mentioned.) I suspect she'd be very like Lerris, in the same situation, she would complain, be annoying as hell, procrastinate on reading the damn book - and then it would all go "click" for her one day and she'd see through it all.

Initially the tendency to describe surroundings (particularly furniture) seemed to drag, but after a while, and once I came to understand the magic system in place here, it actually became not just useful, but enjoyable. It was like I was learning to see things through Lerris eyes, in some small way.

The onomatopoeia - didn't bother me. I only even noticed it from Gairloch, who at several points in the story was my favourite character anyway, so it's only fitting he should get dialogue. Of a kind.

The First/Third person switching (Lerris adventures are told in first person, anything he's not around for in omniscient third): I liked it! I am so tired of the multiple POV character style that seems trendy these days, and having to spend the first paragraph of every chapter trying to figure out who's telling me the story now. It was a tiny bit jarring the first instance, but only because I wasn't ready for it, by the second I knew what was happening.

There's really not much more to say - this is book 1 of a series that has so far reached 18 books, yet it's actually the second to last, chronologically. That's a little disconcerting (I'm almost tempted to skip the next book, which is the last book chronologically, and start reading the history until I get back to here.) ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
This is a comfort read for me. Lerris is exiled from Recluse (home of magicians who work in Order) for asking too many questions and being too unreliable. During his time in the outside world, he slowly realizes why Recluse is the way it is--and why he can never go back. Probably the best of the Recluse series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Another big long book, and the start of one of those giant epic fantasy sagas.
However, again, I'm not going to go get the sequels.
I like fantasy because it has such potential to expand our concepts of what human society can be, in different and unusual, often dramatic situations.
One can tell, reading this book, that the author is conservative, christian, and non-feminist. This only occasionally intrudes jarringly into the story, but there's absolutely nothing in here that would stretch the comfort zone of the most typical inhabitant of stereotypical middle-America.
The main character is a bored young man who lives in a utopian society of peace and plenty (where women know their place). But he's bored.
His family sends him to a center where the various disaffected (the bored, criminals, feminists) are trained and then sent out of the lovely, ordered kingdom of Recluce to make their way in the dangerous wide world, only possibly to ever return.
Our protagonist goes questing and along the way discovers he has the potential to be a super-powerful wizard. MORE TO COME.... in the sequels, of course. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

L. E. Modesitt Jr.primary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob Muir, Clay Hunt, and Walter Rosenberry. Too belated an appreciation, but read for all the delay.
Growing up, I always wondered why everything in Wandernaught seemed so dull.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812505182, Mass Market Paperback)

With The Magic of Recluce, L.E. Modesitt made his impressive hardcover debut, breaking out in wide scope and grand scale with a novel in the great tradition of the war between good and evil in a wonderful fantasy world. Modesitt had been producing fast-paced, slickly-written novels of SF adventure, often compared to the work of Keith Laumer and Gordon R. Dickson. Then, in his biggest and best book yet, he broadened his canvas and turned to fantasy and magic, stepping immediately into the front rank of contemporary fantasy writers.

The Magic of Recluce is a carefully-plotted fantasy novel of character about the growth and education of a young magician. In it, Modesitt confronts real moral issues with gripping force, builds atmosphere slowly and convincingly and gives his central character, Lerris, real intellectual challenges. This is the kind of highly-rationalized fantasy that Poul Anderson and Gordon R. Dickson write when they write fantasy, colorful and detailed.

He is given the standard two options: permanent exile from Recluce or the dangergeld, a complex, rule-laden wanderjahr in the lands beyond Recluce with the aim of learning how the world works and what his place in it might be. Many do not survive. He chooses dangergeld.

Though magic is rarely discussed openly in Recluce, it becomes clear, when Lerris is sent into intensive training for his quest, that he has a natural talent for it during his weapons lessons. And he will need magic in the lands beyond, where the power of the Chaos Wizards reigns unchecked. He must learn to use his powers in an orderly way or fall prey to Chaos.

Lerris may resent order, but he has no difficulty choosing good over evil. As he begins his lonely journey, he falls into the company of a gray magician, once of Recluce, who tutors him in the use of magic and shows him some of the devastation caused by the Chaos Wizards in the great wars between Chaos and Order of past times.

Lerris pursues a quest for knowledge and power that leads him across strange lands, through the ghostly ruins of the old capitol of Chaos, down the white roads of the Chaos Wizards to a final battle with the archenemy of Order, discovering in the end true control of magic, true love, and the beginning of true wisdom. An epic adventure, The Magic of Recluce0, is a triumph of fantasy.

The Magic of Recluce is the first book of the saga of Recluce.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:32 -0400)

Lerris, a bored magician's apprentice, embarks on a quest for knowledge--called the dangergeld--during which he encounters the magic of the Chaos Wizards and battles the Archenemy of Order.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,799,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible