The Many-Colored Land by Julian May

The Many-Colored Land (1981)

by Julian May

Series: Saga of the Exiles (1)

Recently added byastockto1403, mcountr, GraemeSH, paulcampbell, Serpyke, cindywho, private library, Dvdvnr, daves0
    The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon (wegc)
    wegc: Both are about humans enslaved by aliens and both feature humans with super-senses.

English (17)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
Among the misfits and mavericks of the 2nd Century, there are those who pass through the time-doors of the Pilocene Epoch into the battleground of two warring races from a planet far away.
Characters
Madame Angeliqur Guderian - time-gate keeper and leader of the free human resistance.
Mercy - quest for
Stein Olsen - Large viking decendant
Richard Voorhees - Disgraced space pilot
Felice Laundry - super strong athelete
Elizabeth Orme - Metapyhsical
Aiken Drum - Unreformed criminal
Annamarie Roccaro - nun, doctor
Claude Majewski - exopaleontologist
Bryan Grenfell - anthropologist ( )
  UGRLibThing | Jul 14, 2018 |
Enjoyed the first book in this award winning series well enough, but not so intrigued as to read the rest. Only so much time to read all the books in the world, you gotta choose! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 27, 2016 |
This is the original start to the Pliocene Exile series. Later on some pre-quel books were added, but this is the book you should start with.

This book is just excellent. By today's standards, it isn't hard sci-fi, there's a bit of hand-waving when it comes to science, but it sure doesn't feel like it, the author does a very good job of making this feel futuristic. (Like almost all books that pre-date the 90's, there's no Internet equivalent). There's also a strong fantasy aspect to these books that actually blends well. What's perhaps best about this book is the setting - Pliocene Earth and the way it is described. The characters are also strong points, as is the plot. There really isn't much I didn't like about this series. ( )
  Karlstar | Aug 6, 2015 |
This book (and really, the whole series) falls into that strange spot between Sci-Fi and Fantasy that is really neither. The story is original, the characters are well fleshed out and very human (even the ones who aren't human), and the plot is just unpredictable enough to be very interesting. The themes are sweeping and develop throughout the series. May weaves together a huge cast of characters and sub-plots without confusion. She is clearly a highly intelligent and organized author, who put a huge amount if work into perfecting the details of her world. Spoilers would ruin this book, I think, but I highly recommend reading it! ( )
1 vote nolipajoli | Nov 1, 2014 |

Julian Mayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barr, KenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bradbury, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My heart is sore pained within me:
and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.

Fear and trembling have seized me:
and darkness has overwhelmed me

And I said: O that I had wings like a dove!
For then I would fly away and be at rest.

Lo, would I flee far away,
and live in the wilderness.

I would wait for him who will save me
from my cowardice and from the storm.

—Psalm 55
For Tadeusz Maxim,
the noblest of them all
To confirm that it was indeed near death, the great vessel broke through into normal space with lingering slowness.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033026656X, Paperback)

This is the first book in "The Saga of the Exiles" series. Among the misfits and mavericks of the 22nd century, there are those who pass through the time-doors of the Pliocene Epoch into the battleground of two warring races from a planet far away.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:23 -0400)

An enchanting seasonal title which introduce the youngest of children to engaging subjects in a friendly and informative way. Young children will adore following the icy delights of a snowy day, from sparkling frost to pretty snowflakes and sleepy squirrels to frozen frogs. 2 yrs+… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible