The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

The Masqueraders (original 1928; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

1,220366,537 (4)108
Member:alexiscartwheel
Title:The Masqueraders
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, romance, regency

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer (1928)

Recently added byceroussea, syke87, private library, SylviaC, The_Book_Nook, FlorenceArt, M1c3, Eowyn1, andejons

English (35)  German (1)  All (36)
Utterly delightful frothy romance - and not Regency but Georgian! Which somehow, despite the cover, I was not expecting. (I don't read plot summaries of Heyers before I read them, I just dive in.) I had a little bit of trouble sorting out who was who in the first couple of chapters, but once I got a handle on the cast it was lovely. I always love a cross-dressing romance. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 26, 2016 |
This is my favorite Heyer book. The book opens with a brother and sister's arrival at an inn, where they cleverly prevent an attempted abduction. It rapidly becomes clear that they are something more than the simple gentlefolk they appear to be. Through attacks by rufians, duels, love affairs and court cases, the story follows the pair as they strive to maintain their facade in society. I was particularly pleased by the license Heyer takes with gender and societal norms; few characters take either all that seriously. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book isn't set in Heyer's usual Regency period, but in the time just following the Jacobite rebellion, so there are mentions of the tragedy of Culloden, albeit brief, and the horrors of executions. Perhaps that makes it slightly more thought-provoking than some of her other books, and also a bit more blasé about serious duels and violence.

On the other hand, there are some delightful caricatured people, most of all the amazingly vain - but utterly charming - father of the two main characters. He's lived an adventurer's life, and likes events to be convoluted and as complex as possible. His talk is so outrageous I found it very amusing.

There's romance too - as ever - and very likeable main characters who are quite distinct and very believable.

All in all, a good book. Some of the slang and other language used may seem archaic, but it's not necessary to understand every word to enjoy a great story. Recommended.

Re-read again in 2012, enjoyed every bit as much as before. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Not one of Georgette Heyer's better novels. It involves improbable disguises with fantastical plots.
A brother and sister, hiding their identities in the wake of their father's ill-advised political venturings, come to England to await their father's return. In the meantimes, they fall in love and into society.
An appealing heroine, almost a modern lady. About 2.5 stars. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Not the first Heyer book I've read featuring a woman dressed as a man, but it is the first I've read in which a man dresses as a woman.

Beforehand I suspected it may be too complex and perhaps too silly, though it turned out to be pretty good fun.

I liked one of the secondary characters best, namely Letty, who is a woman dressed as a woman. She's highly entertaining, often causing me to smile.

I found the plot interesting rather than engaging. At times I grew a little bored but the good outweighs the bad. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jun 7, 2015 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sillers, RuthNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It had begun to rain an hour ago, a fine driving mist with the sky grey above.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836066, Mass Market Paperback)

She could disguise everything -- except her love for him . . .

Prudence Marriot, along with her roguish brother Robin, is the darling of high-society London -- but the two rarely appear as themselves. Instead, Prudence disguises herself as a young lad named Peter, while her brother dons the fashionable attire of a gentlewoman. Their costumes serve as a useful decoy to protect the Marriot family . . .

But when she meet Sir Anthony Fanshave, Prudence wonders if she has finally met her prince. The elegant Sir Anthony is everything Prudence has ever wanted. The only problem is that Sir Anthony has never met Prudence . . .only a young, handsome fellow named Peter. In revealing her true identity, she risks losing everything she holds dear . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:03 -0400)

"Such a daring escape...could cost them both their hearts...Their infamous adventurer father has taught Prudence Tremaine and her brother Robin to be masters of disguise. Ending up on the wrong side of the Jacobite rebellion, brother and sister flee to London, Prudence pretending to be a dashing young buck, and Robin, a lovely young lady...Then Prudence meets the elegant Sir Anthony Fanshawe, and Robin becomes the mysterious hero of the charming Letitia Grayson, and in order to have what they truly want, the two masqueraders must find a way to unmask themselves without losing their lives..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,795,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible