The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer

The Masqueraders (original 1928; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

Title:The Masqueraders
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, historical fiction, romance, regency

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer (1928)

English (31)  German (1)  All languages (32)
Not the first Heyer book I've read featuring a woman dressed as a man, but it is the first I've read in which a man dresses as a woman.

Beforehand I suspected it may be too complex and perhaps too silly, though it turned out to be pretty good fun.

I liked one of the secondary characters best, namely Letty, who is a woman dressed as a woman. She's highly entertaining, often causing me to smile.

I found the plot interesting rather than engaging. At times I grew a little bored but the good outweighs the bad. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Jun 7, 2015 |
Loved this! One of the more purely enjoyable books I've read (or in this case, listened to) recently. The characters and language sparkles, and I actually find myself wishing it could have gone on longer (unusual for me).

devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
A wonderful work of escapist literature as Heyer, clearly inspired by Shakespeare's Twelfth Night amongst other, writes her own story of cross dressing siblings. Prudence and Robin who were on the losing side of the Jacobite Rebellion hide out in London by Masquerading as Kate (Robin) and Peter (Prudence) Merriot with sometimes hilarious consequences.

Heyer really goes for the fun in this book, there’s a masked ball in which Robin, dressed as a man, engages in some light flirtation with his intended, a duel, including the slap around the face with a glove, highwaymen and lots of intrigue.

Wonderful. ( )
  riverwillow | Mar 19, 2014 |

Infused with Heyer's typical humor and wit. I laugh out loud while reading Heyers' books more than anyone else's.

The style of writing (specifically the dialogue) is a little different than most of her other books, as this one is set earlier than the majority of her books and she adjusted the way that people speak to this period. Therefore, the language and style took a little getting used to. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It had begun to rain an hour ago, a fine driving mist with the sky grey above.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836066, Mass Market Paperback)

She could disguise everything -- except her love for him . . .

Prudence Marriot, along with her roguish brother Robin, is the darling of high-society London -- but the two rarely appear as themselves. Instead, Prudence disguises herself as a young lad named Peter, while her brother dons the fashionable attire of a gentlewoman. Their costumes serve as a useful decoy to protect the Marriot family . . .

But when she meet Sir Anthony Fanshave, Prudence wonders if she has finally met her prince. The elegant Sir Anthony is everything Prudence has ever wanted. The only problem is that Sir Anthony has never met Prudence . . .only a young, handsome fellow named Peter. In revealing her true identity, she risks losing everything she holds dear . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:03 -0400)

"Such a daring escape...could cost them both their hearts...Their infamous adventurer father has taught Prudence Tremaine and her brother Robin to be masters of disguise. Ending up on the wrong side of the Jacobite rebellion, brother and sister flee to London, Prudence pretending to be a dashing young buck, and Robin, a lovely young lady...Then Prudence meets the elegant Sir Anthony Fanshawe, and Robin becomes the mysterious hero of the charming Letitia Grayson, and in order to have what they truly want, the two masqueraders must find a way to unmask themselves without losing their lives..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,855,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible