Girl Genius: Omnibus Edition #1 (No. 1) by…

Girl Genius: Omnibus Edition #1 (No. 1) (edition 2006)

by Phil Foglio, Kaja Foglio

Member:Jussiv
Title:Girl Genius: Omnibus Edition #1 (No. 1)
Authors:Phil Foglio
Other authors:Kaja Foglio
Info:Studio Foglio (2006), Edition: Omnibus Ed, Paperback, 312 pages
Tags:comics

Girl Genius: Omnibus Edition #1 by Phil Foglio

Summary: Agatha is a student at the university, but when the Baron comes for a surprise inspection, everything starts going haywire. The lab explodes, a machine she was tinkering with in the shed suddenly comes to life, and her parents disappear -- and she's about to discover secrets about herself and her family that she never suspected.

Review: A friend and fellow comics fan recommended this to me, and we usually have pretty similar tastes, but this one was an exception. I really didn't care for this one at all. I'm pretty sure this is the first volume (it is called "Agatha Awakens", after all), but it felt like it dropped me right in the middle of an unfamiliar universe with a LOT going on, and didn't even bother with introducing the characters other than Agatha (and maybe the Baron's son, but certainly not any of the numerous other secondary or peripheral characters) or doing any worldbuilding or anything. I've seen the "in media res" style of worldbuilding done effectively, but this was not it. (At least not for me.) I don't think the artwork helped much - it was bright and colorful but there was a lot going on, and something about the style of figure drawing made it really difficult for me to keep the dozens of characters straight. Story and writing-wise, it was interesting enough, and there were some funny parts and some germs of good ideas, but I had such a hard time figuring out what the heck was going on at any one point that a few good jokes weren't enough to salvage it. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: Clearly there are people out there that love it, but it didn't work for me, so if you're looking for steampunk-y graphic novels, I'd recommend something like Daisy Kutter: The Last Train instead. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 8, 2017 |
I've heard wonderful things about this web comic series for years. It's pure steampunk: airships galore, crazy inventions, monstrosities of science, mad scientists and more.

I struggled at the start of the book because many new elements of world-building were thrown my way and things weren't explained quickly. It was really at the 2/3 point that I really got into it and found myself cheering for Agatha and the rest of the cast. ( )
  ladycato | Jun 25, 2014 |
Adventure! Romance! MAD SCIENCE!

I don??t read many graphic novels ƒ?? though Iƒ??ve tried many of them, theyƒ??re just not my thing. In fact, I only read one graphic novel and thatƒ??s GIRL GENIUS by Phil & Kaja Foglio. I love this comic and I must not be the only one ƒ??itƒ??s won the Hugo Award three times (and lots of other awards, too). Therefore, I was thrilled to see that Tor is releasing hardback omnibus versions of GIRL GENIUS because this comic is a work of art that deserves to be beautifully bound and displayed on coffee tables everywhere.

GIRL GENIUS is a ƒ??gaslamp fantasyƒ? set in a Victorian-style world which produces ƒ??Sparksƒ? ƒ?? admired, but also somewhat mad, geniuses who are able to create bizarre machines and biological constructs ƒ?? some which make life easier for... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/agatha-awakens/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I had been wanting to read the Girl Genius graphic novels for a long time. When I ran into this Ominbus at Half Price Books I was super excited. This was a highly amusing and entertaining read. It has a complex story, wonderful characters, a fantastic world, and is a hilarious read.

Agatha Clay lives in a world where inventors are king and help to keep the peace. The best inventors possess the Spark which enables them to create powerful and creative inventions. However, Agatha’s inventions always fail. Then her locket gets stolen by a soldier on the street and Agatha start developing some interesting abilities. It ends up Agatha might have the Spark after all and this makes her interesting to Baron Klaus Wulfenbach and his son Gil. Baron Wulfenbach is trying to maintain order in the city.

This book was so much fun to read. I love the characters, the world, and the story. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustration style (it’s a bit cartoony for me), but it does fit this quirky and manic story very well. The colors are bright and fun. All of the characters are also illustrated in a way that makes them all look kind of manly, this bothered me a bit but I prefer it over strangely proportioned female bodies, so I guess it’s okay.

The world is complex and just spectacular, I really enjoyed the blend of steampunk and magic. The characters are hilarious, complex, and fun to read about. There is a lot going on in this story and so many things I am curious to learn more about. How will Agatha use her Spark? Will Gil figure out how to actually talk to women? Will the lost Heterodyne family ever be found? Is Baron Wulfenbach evil or is he just trying to keep his city safe?

Overall I really really enjoyed this graphic novel. I laughed so many times reading this and enjoyed the characters so much. I can't wait to read the next installment in this series. Highly recommended for fans who are looking for an over-the-top, laugh-out-lot steampunk graphic novels series. It was a lot of fun to read. ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 17, 2014 |
A rollicking steampunk tale of adventure and fun, rendered in bright colours. There is a lot of humour and an interesting plot, as well as some gloriously over-the-top characters, bosomy girls and silly accents. What's not to like? ( )
  questbird | Mar 3, 2014 |

Phil Foglioprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foglio, Kajamain authorall editionsconfirmed

Collects three adventures of Agatha Clay, girl genius and descendent of the Heterodyne line of mad scientists.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible