The Late Show by Michael Connelly

The Late Show

by Michael Connelly

Series: Renée Ballard (1)

It took me a little bit to like Detective Ballard, I am so used to Bosch and Haller that it was a little bit of a change. I really enjoyed this book and it reading for a female who struggles with being a female in the department. However I am disappointed by the Carr story line, I felt it wasn't completed- the why's? Overall another great Connelly read- can't wait until the next book in October! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Follows the formula, nothing new here. Fast airplane read. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Synopsis: Renee Ballard has been banished to the Late Shift - she and her partner are only assigned cases that are active around midnight and later. However, they never get to complete the cases; they are passed to the day shift. She becomes involved in two cases that she is able to keep on the night shift. These nearly cost her life but she is invited to go back onto the day shift.
Review: This story nicely handles the issue of sexual harassment in the police department. It also depicts a very strong woman who does not compromise her principles. ( )
  DrLed | Jul 26, 2018 |
This book almost became a DNF for me! I haven’t read many “procedurals” so I don’t have much to compare. I do watch TV cop and detective shows and that may be why I felt this was written with stage directions for such a show. The author provided way too much detail in terms of physical movements for the detective. I almost gave up on it a number of times. I kept going because that is what I do and also because the plot was interesting enough that I wanted to see how it played out. I have learned that most (not all) books are worth the effort to complete and I am glad I persevered. I really enjoyed the second half of the book. I felt like the narrative took over and I was finally free of all the stage directions. The characters became much more real and their emotions and their motivations were revealed. The mystery was interesting with a few good twists. I came away really liking the detective character who I understand is the focus for this new series. ( )
  beebeereads | Jul 25, 2018 |
Great start to a new series - can't wait to see what's next in store for Renee! ( )
  RachelAmphlett | Jul 23, 2018 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harms, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moennig, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly, a new thriller introducing a driven young detective trying to prove herself in the LAPD

Renée Ballard works the night shift in Hollywood, beginning many investigations but finishing none as each morning she turns her cases over to day shift detectives. A once up-and-coming detective, she's been given this beat as punishment after filing a sexual harassment complaint against a supervisor.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 12 Feb 2017 01:33:01 -0500)

"Renee Ballard works the night shift in Hollywood, beginning many investigations but finishing none as each morning she turns her cases over to day shift detectives. A once up-and-coming detective, she's been given this beat as punishment after filing a sexual harassment complaint against a supervisor. But one night she catches two cases she doesn't want to part with: the brutal beating of a prostitute left for dead in a parking lot and the killing of a young woman in a nightclub shooting. Ballard is determined not to give up at dawn. Against orders and her own partner's wishes, she works both cases by day while maintaining her shift by night. As the cases entwine they pull her closer to her own demons and the reason she won't give up her job no matter what the department throws at her."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,021,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible