The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer

The Nonesuch (1962)

by Georgette Heyer

English (53)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (55)
Another of my Heyer favourites. The plot holds together well and the spoilt beauty is an excellent foil for the sweeter young women. The character development of the supporting characters is particularly enjoyable in this narrative. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Sep 24, 2017 |
For years, I repeatedly read that Georgette Heyer is a good author to check out after Jane Austen. Heyer sat on my to-read list, unread, until this year.

The Nonesuch started a little slow and I felt bombarded with characters. However, once the plot thickened, I really enjoyed Heyer’s wit. The author’s ability to create an immersive community and sense of humor did remind me of Jane Austen. Overall, it’s a sweet read for Regency fans. I wasn’t crazy about the name Waldo. I kept picturing “Where’s Waldo” in my mind, placing the hero in a red, striped shirt. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
Some great characters and funny moments make “The Nonesuch” a dashed good read.

If Tiffany was real, she’d drive me crazy with her vanity and selfishness, but as she’s safely housed within the pages of a book, I found her to be great entertainment. Many a time I laughed out loud at her petty antics.

At one point, she tells one of the men to “Go away!” four times in succession. So much better and more humorous than today’s “**** off!” equivalent response.

Funnier still, though, is Tiffany’s aunt, Mrs Underhill. A classic Yorkshire lass with principles and a sense of propriety. Only a secondary character, but she’s a first-rate entertainer. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 25, 2017 |
Set in the 19th century, this book was written in the 1930s. Perhaps this is why 19th society societal conventions were more consciously weaved into the plot since it was not natural to that age. Nevertheless, this is a well-written story about an unlikely relationship blossoming between two people of different classes. The basic premise is similar to that in Pride and Prejudice although what keeps the two apart is societal conventions, and not the female protagonist's misperception of the male protagonist. ( )
  siok | Aug 20, 2016 |
Sir Waldo is fabulously rich, and when he inherits yet another estate his relatives groan--out of envy, and also because they suspect Waldo will just turn the mansion into an orphanage. Their suspicions are correct. While getting the estate ready for his brats' arrival, Waldo notices Miss Trent, the poised governess to a local beauty. He tries to court Miss Trent (whose wry humor matches his own) while distangling his younger cousin from an infatuation with the spoiled beauty.

Funny and sweet. The cant terms Heyer uses so liberally are a little less obtrusive here, and her hero and heroine are wonderful fun to read about. I do with it ended a bit less abruptly. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, wealthy, handsome, eligible, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess, believes he is past the age of falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, confirmed bachelor and one of the wealthiest men in London, comes instantly to the aid of the intrepid Ancilla Trent to stop a young, tempetuous woman's flight, and in the process discovers that it's never too late for the first bloom of love.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,497,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible