The Nonesuch (1962)

by Georgette Heyer

Sir Waldo Hawkridge - wealthy, handsome, eligible, illustrious, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess - believes he is past the age of falling in love. But when he comes North to inspect his unusual inheritance at Broom Hall in the West Riding, his arrival leads to the most entertaining of ramifications.… (more)

English (59)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (61)
A delicious ride. A delightful end-place. A read to be savored as much in memory as in experience. Ancilla and Tiffany getting their just deserts makes the fate of the Nonesuch so much more appealing! ( )
  richardderus | Apr 7, 2020 |
Heyer is the master of intricate sparkling conversations. ( )
  notalice | Mar 28, 2020 |
After a long break from Georgette Heyer, I was inspired by a recent Goodreads friend review to pick this one up and I'm so glad I did - this was by far my favorite of hers so far and probably won't be surpassed. The Nonesuch seemed a very deliberate homage to Jane Austen novels as I found situations that were very reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice and Emma especially. I loved this!! ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
My reactions to this book are . . . mixed. On the one hand, Waldo and Ancilla are wonderful, as are most of the supporting cast. The setting and situations are entertaining. On the other hand . . . Tiffany Wield. I don't think I've seen many characters as obnoxious and self-centered and in need of a set-down as Tiffany. Additionally, it baffled me that essentially everyone around her--even when they acknowledged her behavior as odious--refused to do anything other than coddle her and come up with excuses as to why they continued to spoil her. She may have been seventeen years old, but her behaviour was that of an over-tired three-year-old being told to take a nap or share toys. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
One of the best Heyers I've read so far. A delight. ( )
  JBD1 | Apr 5, 2018 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,734,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible