The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer

The Nonesuch (original 1962; edition 1969)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:hailelib
Title:The Nonesuch
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Bantam Books (Mm) (1969), Paperback
Collections:Challenge Books, Your library, 2012 Books Read
Tags:romance, regency

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer (1962)

Recently added byprivate library, soraki, M1c3, Eowyn1, a_r_smiley, Aneris, Kaethe, AlexGriffin

English (52)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (54)

I feel cheated by the abrupt ending. It doesn't even end with the two main characters.

That being said, it surprised me how much I enjoyed this book. There is no real plot one could point out. The Nonesuch's strength are its characters.
Some of them are adorably lovely (I loved Julian), some hilariously childish and greedy (Laurie), gossipy and mean (some of the village matrons), goodhearted (Mrs. Underhill, Miss Trent's employer) and some will drive you crazy (Tiffany). I don't even want to give her more attention than she deserves (most characters gave her more than enough attention in the book).

As for the love story, it kind of feels as if Heyer forgot to explain or at least show why would Sir Waldo fall for Ancilla Trent. I liked her, but I got to read her thoughts. He didn't have that.

Still, even with the flaws I had lots of fun with these characters.
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Still, even with the flaws I had lots of fun with these characters.
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Set in the 19th century, this book was written in the 1930s. Perhaps this is why 19th society societal conventions were more consciously weaved into the plot since it was not natural to that age. Nevertheless, this is a well-written story about an unlikely relationship blossoming between two people of different classes. The basic premise is similar to that in Pride and Prejudice although what keeps the two apart is societal conventions, and not the female protagonist's misperception of the male protagonist. ( )
  siok | Aug 20, 2016 |
Sir Waldo is fabulously rich, and when he inherits yet another estate his relatives groan--out of envy, and also because they suspect Waldo will just turn the mansion into an orphanage. Their suspicions are correct. While getting the estate ready for his brats' arrival, Waldo notices Miss Trent, the poised governess to a local beauty. He tries to court Miss Trent (whose wry humor matches his own) while distangling his younger cousin from an infatuation with the spoiled beauty.

Funny and sweet. The cant terms Heyer uses so liberally are a little less obtrusive here, and her hero and heroine are wonderful fun to read about. I do with it ended a bit less abruptly. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Waldo, a philanthropic Corinthian, inherits a run-down house. He moves there temporarily with a young cousin to supervise repairs, and quickly gets to know some of the local folk. The heroine is the rather prudish Ancilla Trent who is companion/governess to the spoilt beauty Tiffany. Ancilla is blessed with great integrity, and also a wonderful sense of humour. The characters are delightful, even if some of the minor ones are rather caricatured. It's cleverly plotted, as always with Heyer; there are several amusing misunderstandings, which actually made me chuckle aloud in the last few pages. I thought it exellent overall - though possibly a bit slow-moving in places - even after the fifth re-read. Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, wealthy, handsome, eligible, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess, believes he is past the age of falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, confirmed bachelor and one of the wealthiest men in London, comes instantly to the aid of the intrepid Ancilla Trent to stop a young, tempetuous woman's flight, and in the process discovers that it's never too late for the first bloom of love.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,831,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible