The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer

The Nonesuch (original 1962; edition 1969)

by Georgette Heyer

1,193None6,717 (3.9)81
Member:hailelib
Title:The Nonesuch
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Bantam Books (Mm) (1969), Paperback
Collections:Challenge Books, Your library, 2012 Books Read
Tags:romance, regency

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer (1962)

English (42)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (44)
Or maybe even 2.5 stars. I didn't dislike it, but it was rather slight and staid.

The hero's perfection is rather generic, and the "it was all a misunderstanding" plot device is not my favorite. I do prefer Heyer's older heroines, but this wasn't quite up to par. And I usually enjoy Heyer's unusual name choices, but with Waldo and Ancilla she is--shall we say?--doing it a bit too brown! ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I've read quite a few Heyers, but this was definitely not a favorite.

I felt that some of the internal dialogue ran on a little long (was a little repetitive at times) and found myself wishing for the action to pick back up on these occassions. I also thought that Heyer had stuffed too much 19th century slang into the dialogue - so much so that it made it hard to understand at times. Usually when she uses slang phrase its within a certain context or conversation that makes it obvious what is being said/talked about/ecc. But in this book I often felt like these phrases or words were piled on top of each other so that I had a hard time following the meaning. I think I'm generally pretty good at understanding the language from this period since I read so much based in the period, but I had hard make of it at times.

Lastly, I wished the book didn't end so aprubtly after the misunderstading was cleared up. This seems to always be how Heyer ends her books, and while she remains one of my favorite authors, I always find myself wishing for a more developed ending.

Other than that, the characters were typical Heyer - fun and fully developed. The two leads had that dry, satirical humor that Heyer does so well and the supporting characters were equally interesting and added to the action.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read, but not one I will be keeping on my bookshelf. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |
Definitely not my favourite Heyer. It seemed to drag, even. Sir Waldo and Miss Trent are too good to be true; Lord Lindeth isn't far behind; Tiffany is just too bad to be true! Perhaps over-familiarity with Heyer is breeding contempt, but mostly I think it's just that I found the conflict so manufactured -- one of my least favourite tropes ever: the mistaken meaning, for example -- and I found the various combinations of characters pretty insipid. Tiffany could've brought more life to it if she were just a little easier to sympathise with, but she's like all the worst parts of the impulsive heroines of Sprig Muslin, Charity Girl and, indeed, the secondary heroine in Lady of Quality, without their good sides.

In fact, listing all those makes me think regretfully of how similar Heyer novels can be to one another in some details. Perhaps it's time for a break. Alas. But then, this one didn't really make me laugh, or even raise a flutter, which is not a charge I can lay at the door of most of her novels. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 17, 2013 |
I love Georgette Heyer's novels! I started reading them as a teenager, and have reread them periodically ever since. The Nonesuch is an enjoyable entry, although not one her best (or worst). ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
When Sir Waldo Hawkridge and his young cousin, Lord Lindeth, arrive in the small Yorkshire village of Oversett in order to inspect some property that Sir Waldo has inherited, the two unmarried gentlemen excite all the attention and admiration that one would expect at the arrival of such cosmopolitan strangers in a provincial area.

The subsequent romantic entanglements of Sir Waldo and Lord Lindeth, the former with superior and very genteel lady's companion Ancilla Trent, and the latter, first with beautiful but narcissistic heiress Tiffany Weild, and then with virtuous vicar's daughter Patience Chartley, play out with all the twists and turns one would expect of a Heyer concoction.

There are elements of The Nonesuch which are strongly reminiscent of Jane Austen's beloved classic Pride and Prejudice, and Heyer tells her tale with all her customary aplomb. But for all that I enjoyed this light-hearted romp, I cannot think it as delightful as some of the author's other titles, nor could I entirely suspend my disbelief, as it concerns Ancilla Trent's treatment as a paid companion, or with regard to some of Tiffany's more outrageous behavior. However that may be, while not one of Ms. Heyer's masterpieces, her legions of fans - among whom I count myself - will still greatly enjoy it. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 24, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, wealthy, handsome, eligible, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess, believes he is past the age of falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:16 -0400)

Arriving at his unusual inheritance at Broom Hall in Yorkshire, Sir Waldo Hawkridge believes that he is past the age of falling in love. His arrival, however, leads to the most entertaining of ramifications.

71 wanted3 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible