The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer

The Nonesuch (original 1962; edition 1969)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:hailelib
Title:The Nonesuch
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Bantam Books (Mm) (1969), Paperback
Collections:Challenge Books, Your library, 2012 Books Read
Tags:romance, regency

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer (1962)

English (45)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (47)
Georgette Heyer's many fans can attest to the highly addictive quality of her Regency novels, and The Nonesuch is no exception. Despite its highly predictable plot, I couldn't put it down. And now that I've finished it, I want to immediately dip into another of her delectable creations and prolong my stay amidst her amusing characters.

The Nonesuch—thus nicknamed because, as a paragon in all his pursuits, there is "none such" like him—is the quintessential sporting gentleman. Admired by all his male acquaintance (and pursued by all his female), Sir Waldo Hawkridge is a seasoned man of the world who is not easily impressed. So when he crosses paths with the governess-companion Miss Ancilla Trent, he finds himself fascinated by her cool reserve. He also finds himself the object of flirtation of Miss Trent's charge, the utterly beautiful but selfish Miss Tiffany Wield who would like nothing more than to add the Nonesuch to her conquests.

Sir Waldo's character could have been developed a little more; he's almost too perfect both physically (with his shapely hands described more than once) and morally (with a penchant for charity as well as an astonishing lack of conceit). But it's hard to fault a man for being too perfect! The rest of the characters are excellent, from the kindly Mrs. Underhill and tempestuous Miss Wield to the good-natured Lord Lindeth and volatile Laurence Calver. Notable also is the broadminded Rector who is not scandalized by the innovative new dance, the waltz.

The novel does end a bit abruptly and not everyone's problems are wrapped up neatly as is usual in Heyer's plots. Miss Trent and Sir Waldo get over their misunderstanding, of course, but Laurie's horse-dealing dreams aren't resolved, nor is Miss Wield's deplorable behavior given any hope of change. But I suppose a reformation for either of them wouldn't ring true.

Though The Nonesuch isn't a standout amidst Heyer's impressive oeuvre, it is certainly a fun read and I spent several enjoyable hours in its company. ( )
  wisewoman | Aug 24, 2014 |
This was a good book. Although the plot was a bit disorganized and weak, the characters were charming and kept the book from becoming a lost cause. I love how Heyer develops the secondary characters - in this case, especially the relationship between Tiffany and Julian - so very well. While the plot structure left much to be desired (it was rambling, and very slow to get moving), I still enjoyed this book a great deal due to the witty dialogue and interesting interplay between the characters. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
After reading a few lacklustre romance stories I have returned to Georgette Heyer who, in The Nonesuch was able to completely steal my heart away. With wonderful characters, a good deal of humor and a romance that evolves through her intriguing story, this was a book that will remain dear to my heart for a long, long time.

Revolving around a small community in Yorkshire, the Nonesuch, Waldo, a well-renown man of his class, and his nephew, Julian, arrive to inspect and put in order an estate he has inherited. Becoming involved in the social circle of this rural parish, both Waldo and Julian each find a special someone that they hope to share their futures with. Of course true love never runs smoothly and the bulk of the story keeps us entertained with the ups and downs of their romances and the obstacles, such as a spoiled and silly heiress and a late arriving relative of Waldo’s, that put a few ripples into the course of true love.

With language that trips musically off the tongue, I relished sentences like “That damned resty, rackety, caper-witted cousin of mine - ! Vex me, she’s run off with that man-milliner, Calver!”. The always sparkling dialogue along with her detailed period research makes Georgette Heyer a guaranteed good read. The Nonesuch was a fun, relaxing and, yes, romantically satisfying book that will be listed among my favorites of this author. ( )
3 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 23, 2014 |
Or maybe even 2.5 stars. I didn't dislike it, but it was rather slight and staid.

The hero's perfection is rather generic, and the "it was all a misunderstanding" plot device is not my favorite. I do prefer Heyer's older heroines, but this wasn't quite up to par. And I usually enjoy Heyer's unusual name choices, but with Waldo and Ancilla she is--shall we say?--doing it a bit too brown! ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I've read quite a few Heyers, but this was definitely not a favorite.

I felt that some of the internal dialogue ran on a little long (was a little repetitive at times) and found myself wishing for the action to pick back up on these occassions. I also thought that Heyer had stuffed too much 19th century slang into the dialogue - so much so that it made it hard to understand at times. Usually when she uses slang phrase its within a certain context or conversation that makes it obvious what is being said/talked about/ecc. But in this book I often felt like these phrases or words were piled on top of each other so that I had a hard time following the meaning. I think I'm generally pretty good at understanding the language from this period since I read so much based in the period, but I had hard make of it at times.

Lastly, I wished the book didn't end so aprubtly after the misunderstading was cleared up. This seems to always be how Heyer ends her books, and while she remains one of my favorite authors, I always find myself wishing for a more developed ending.

Other than that, the characters were typical Heyer - fun and fully developed. The two leads had that dry, satirical humor that Heyer does so well and the supporting characters were equally interesting and added to the action.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read, but not one I will be keeping on my bookshelf. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, wealthy, handsome, eligible, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess, believes he is past the age of falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:16 -0400)

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, confirmed bachelor and one of the wealthiest men in London, comes instantly to the aid of the intrepid Ancilla Trent to stop a young, tempetuous woman's flight, and in the process discovers that it's never too late for the first bloom of love.… (more)

71 wanted3 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,360,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible