The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer

The Nonesuch (original 1962; edition 1975)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:konallis
Title:The Nonesuch
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Pan Books (1975), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 284 pages
Rating:***
Tags:historical fiction, read 2012

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer (1962)

English (57)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (59)
My reactions to this book are . . . mixed. On the one hand, Waldo and Ancilla are wonderful, as are most of the supporting cast. The setting and situations are entertaining. On the other hand . . . Tiffany Wield. I don't think I've seen many characters as obnoxious and self-centered and in need of a set-down as Tiffany. Additionally, it baffled me that essentially everyone around her--even when they acknowledged her behavior as odious--refused to do anything other than coddle her and come up with excuses as to why they continued to spoil her. She may have been seventeen years old, but her behaviour was that of an over-tired three-year-old being told to take a nap or share toys. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
One of the best Heyers I've read so far. A delight. ( )
  JBD1 | Apr 5, 2018 |
Sir Waldo Hawkridge, leading Corinthian in London society, is known as the Nonesuch — as there is none such as awesome as he. Already obscenely rich, he inherits another estate, Broom Hall, from a reclusive uncle and conceives a scheme to set up the second of his philanthropic orphanages in the midst of the Yorkshire countryside. He travels there to set things in motion, stirring up what passes for the local society scene and losing his heart to a governess who has the misfortune of trying to tame 17-year-old beauty and heiress Tiffany Wield, one of the wildest, most spoiled, most selfish, most insufferable creatures that Heyer ever devised — and she's created some doozies. ( )
1 vote rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
A pleasant, rather standard Heyer. I like Waldo and Ancilla both, though the misunderstanding is a little (or a lot) silly. Tiffany is even more of a pain than most of Heyer's selfish young women; everyone else is rather generic (including Laurie and Lindeth, mostly). The odd thing is that I have no idea if I've read this before. I'd rated but not reviewed it, nor given it a Read date, which means I should have read it sometime in 2007...but reading, it all seemed vaguely familiar but not really. I can't tell if I've read _this_ book before, or it's merely a standard Heyer so I knew in general what would happen. Oh, and the ending is...not a cliffhanger, but much, much too abrupt for my taste - they haven't even gotten back home. I think I had read the beginning but no more (the first chapter or so was quite familiar, it got vaguer after that). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 24, 2017 |
Another of my Heyer favourites. The plot holds together well and the spoilt beauty is an excellent foil for the sweeter young women. The character development of the supporting characters is particularly enjoyable in this narrative. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Sep 24, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, wealthy, handsome, eligible, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess, believes he is past the age of falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:15 -0400)

A charming Georgette Heyer romance about finding love at any age.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,366,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible