Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer

Nonesuch (original 1962; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer

1,204456,655 (3.92)92
Member:skiourophile
Title:Nonesuch
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Kindle Edition, 354 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer (1962)

Recently added byprivate library, Trella2, LoriY, snrsbooks, IamFluff, kshukla, darcy36, Dejah_Thoris, klerulo

English (43)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
After reading a few lacklustre romance stories I have returned to Georgette Heyer who, in The Nonesuch was able to completely steal my heart away. With wonderful characters, a good deal of humor and a romance that evolves through her intriguing story, this was a book that will remain dear to my heart for a long, long time.

Revolving around a small community in Yorkshire, the Nonesuch, Waldo, a well-renown man of his class, and his nephew, Julian, arrive to inspect and put in order an estate he has inherited. Becoming involved in the social circle of this rural parish, both Waldo and Julian each find a special someone that they hope to share their futures with. Of course true love never runs smoothly and the bulk of the story keeps us entertained with the ups and downs of their romances and the obstacles, such as a spoiled and silly heiress and a late arriving relative of Waldo’s, that put a few ripples into the course of true love.

With language that trips musically off the tongue, I relished sentences like “That damned resty, rackety, caper-witted cousin of mine - ! Vex me, she’s run off with that man-milliner, Calver!”. The always sparkling dialogue along with her detailed period research makes Georgette Heyer a guaranteed good read. The Nonesuch was a fun, relaxing and, yes, romantically satisfying book that will be listed among my favorites of this author. ( )
3 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jun 23, 2014 |
Or maybe even 2.5 stars. I didn't dislike it, but it was rather slight and staid.

The hero's perfection is rather generic, and the "it was all a misunderstanding" plot device is not my favorite. I do prefer Heyer's older heroines, but this wasn't quite up to par. And I usually enjoy Heyer's unusual name choices, but with Waldo and Ancilla she is--shall we say?--doing it a bit too brown! ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I've read quite a few Heyers, but this was definitely not a favorite.

I felt that some of the internal dialogue ran on a little long (was a little repetitive at times) and found myself wishing for the action to pick back up on these occassions. I also thought that Heyer had stuffed too much 19th century slang into the dialogue - so much so that it made it hard to understand at times. Usually when she uses slang phrase its within a certain context or conversation that makes it obvious what is being said/talked about/ecc. But in this book I often felt like these phrases or words were piled on top of each other so that I had a hard time following the meaning. I think I'm generally pretty good at understanding the language from this period since I read so much based in the period, but I had hard make of it at times.

Lastly, I wished the book didn't end so aprubtly after the misunderstading was cleared up. This seems to always be how Heyer ends her books, and while she remains one of my favorite authors, I always find myself wishing for a more developed ending.

Other than that, the characters were typical Heyer - fun and fully developed. The two leads had that dry, satirical humor that Heyer does so well and the supporting characters were equally interesting and added to the action.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read, but not one I will be keeping on my bookshelf. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |
Definitely not my favourite Heyer. It seemed to drag, even. Sir Waldo and Miss Trent are too good to be true; Lord Lindeth isn't far behind; Tiffany is just too bad to be true! Perhaps over-familiarity with Heyer is breeding contempt, but mostly I think it's just that I found the conflict so manufactured -- one of my least favourite tropes ever: the mistaken meaning, for example -- and I found the various combinations of characters pretty insipid. Tiffany could've brought more life to it if she were just a little easier to sympathise with, but she's like all the worst parts of the impulsive heroines of Sprig Muslin, Charity Girl and, indeed, the secondary heroine in Lady of Quality, without their good sides.

In fact, listing all those makes me think regretfully of how similar Heyer novels can be to one another in some details. Perhaps it's time for a break. Alas. But then, this one didn't really make me laugh, or even raise a flutter, which is not a charge I can lay at the door of most of her novels. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 17, 2013 |
I love Georgette Heyer's novels! I started reading them as a teenager, and have reread them periodically ever since. The Nonesuch is an enjoyable entry, although not one her best (or worst). ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a twinkle in the Nonesuch's eye as he scanned the countenances of his assembled relations, but his voice was perfectly grave, even a trifle apologetic.

“I could not marry a man whose – whose way of life fills me with repugnance.”

At the age of five-and-thirty, Sir Waldo Hawkridge, known as the Nonesuch for his sporting prowess, believed he was past the age of falling in love.

Miss Ancilla Trent, a rather unusual governess, found that instead of regarding him revulsion, she could very easily be beguiled into flirtation. Such a state of affairs would never do…

The consequences of Sir Waldo’s arrival at Broom Hall provide some highly diverting predicaments for both parties, their friends, neighbours, and, more especially, their wards…

Sir Waldo Hawkridge, wealthy, handsome, eligible, and known as The Nonesuch for his athletic prowess, believes he is past the age of falling in love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:16 -0400)

Arriving at his unusual inheritance at Broom Hall in Yorkshire, Sir Waldo Hawkridge believes that he is past the age of falling in love. His arrival, however, leads to the most entertaining of ramifications.

71 wanted3 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,085 books! | Top bar: Always visible