For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2) by Ray…

For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2) (edition 2017)

by Ray Porter

Series: Bobiverse (2)

"Bob Johansson didn't believe in an afterlife, so waking up after being killed in a car accident was a shock. To add to the surprise, he is now a sentient computer and the controlling intelligence for a Von Neumann probe. Bob and his copies have been spreading out from the Earth for 40 years now, looking for habitable planets. But that's the only part of the plan that's still in one piece. A system-wide war has killed off 99.9% of the human race, nuclear winter is slowly making the Earth uninhabitable, a radical group wants to finish the job on the remnants of humanity, the Brazilian space probes are still out there, still trying to blow up the competition, and the Bobs have discovered a spacefaring species that sees all other life as food."--Publisher's description.… (more)
Member:walrii
Title:For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)
Authors:Ray Porter
Info:Audible Studios, Audible Audio, 9 pages

For We Are Many by Dennis E. Taylor

Recently added byMrPikes, graysonw, Benona, private library, kingmeena, dcortell, redkian

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
Book 2 in the Bobiverse trilogy. The story from book 1 continues on without interruption, with the characters and events continuing to develop. Totally fun and enjoyable as we see AI Bob flourish and multiply. If you enjoyed book 1, just keep going, you'll like book 2 just as much. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
I love reading great SF, but sometimes we just stumble across a novel or two that just make us beam with wonder and shared nerdiness and delight... and that basically describes these two Bob novels.

The scale is particularly delightful. You've gotta love a snarky nerd engineer-turned-AI distributed over 30 light years who's wondering what the hell the humans are doing. I mean, he's pretty well-adjusted, copying bits of himself into new iterations and letting them rename themselves as cultural nerd-pieces from the reader's culture.

But what's more, he's a pretty nice guy. He's doing everything in his ability to save stupid people and aliens and terraforming new worlds... while running up against an even bigger threat.

This second book can be seen as more of the same as the first book, but with one huge caveat. It's a character novel or (multi-character AND single-character) series. Confused? Don't be. It's all just Bob.

Of course, it looks like Bob has come up against something much bigger than him. And he's also considering a bit of a branching, I think. If he can't bring his crush along the immortality slide, then there's definitely other options opening up... :) A certain alien, perhaps? Humans are so untrustworthy with immortality... :)

Speculation. Just speculation. :)

Easily a series I'll always be chomping at the bit to get a copy of. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I loooooved the first book. The second, not so much...and it really, really pains me to say that.

Overall, it was a decent story, but the first half didn't do a good job of reminding me who were the different Bob's were, their purpose, and location. The time seems all screwy also. I had trouble following some (seemingly) basic things.

There were definitely some redeeming qualities of the story, but you really had to get through some mud before you got there. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
FOR WE ARE MANY (Bobiverse #2), in my opinion was even better than the first book and Ray Porter plays a large part in that.

For those who don't know, in the first book the first Bob had his head frozen and he was woken up many, many years later having had his consciousness installed in an AI. Since then, many things have happened, and Bob has created many clones of himself, as he was designed to do. His, (their), goal is to save humanity, (we are killing our planet and there are only about 15 million of us humans left), by finding or making proper environments to which we can be relocated. Which also involves providing food, finding a way for us to get to this new environment, and a way to protect us while on the way there. He, (they), also has to play referee to the factions of humanity that are left, because we never stop arguing amongst ourselves, do we?

While doing this, the Bobs, (the Rikers, Homers, Hals, Howards, Charlies and so forth), face numerous obstacles-the scariest of which is a Mandarin speaking species that the Bobs call THE OTHERS. If you are a Star Trek fan, the best way I can describe them is a combination of the Borg with Species 8472. To be blunt, they give no fucks about humanity or anything else, we are either a food or an enemy-neither of which is a good option for Bob/us.

I discovered this book blessed (?) some of the Bobs, (most especially Howard), with defined human feeling. Even though the Bobs are all clones of the original Bob and they have his memory, once they set off on their own, they develop their own personalities, and they get to name themselves. In Howard's case, that seems to include the development of feelings towards a few humans, and this portion of the story touched my heart so much, I can't even.

I have to say that the narrator here, Ray Porter, imbues the Bobs, Admiral Ackbar, Guppy, (who sounds like Sean Connery), Butterfield, and everyone with their own personalities and voices. I don't know how he does it without getting confused, but he does do it and he is SUBLIME. There's no other word I can think of to properly describe his performances in this book. In fact, I am SURE that I would not have enjoyed this volume as much as I did if I had read it instead of listening.

I am going to keep my Audible subscription even when it goes back up to full price because I have to get the next book and I need to listen to it on audio. Reading it will just not do.

Bravo to Dennis E. Taylor and to Ray Porter for bringing the Bobiverse alive- in all its snarky glory, humor, and love for humanity.

My highest recommendation! ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
The story bogged down in the middle just a titch, but the momentum of the second half of the book propels me right into the arms of the third book. Ray Porter again does a great job with voice differentiations of all of the Bobs. ( )
  2wonderY | Aug 22, 2019 |

Dennis E. Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,648,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible