Dream Eater (Portland Hafu Book 1) by K.…

Dream Eater (Portland Hafu Book 1)

by K. Bird Lincoln

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Set in America, Dream Eater follows college student Koi Pierce as she attempts to get her life in order. This tale follows the tradition of supernatural powers in young women, whereby the power reaches its maturity with the onset of adolescence.

A unique mystery lies at the heart of an action-packed plot line. New friends and foes reveal themselves, pushing a naturally introverted Koi to her limit. I identified with Koi on various levels; I am also an introvert and have always felt like an outsider in life. I found Koi to be a plucky and quick-witted heroine that still retained her humility and sensitive qualities that made her her own person.

The story progressed well with scenes unfolding at a brisk pace that kept my attention throughout. Koi's first person narration was well constructed and gave me a more intimate perspective of her issues.

A classic tale of good vs evil, rooted in Japanese mythology.

A harrowing and nail biting ride of a read.
Rated 5 stars! ( )
  DaccariBuchelli | May 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dream Eater by K. Bird Lincoln is an awesome fantasy with an Asian folklore flair. Our gal of the story is more than just a regular gal but something much more. She meets a guy that is more than a regular guy. She thinks her dad is losing his mind but he is trying to warn her about trouble coming. All her life she sees people's dreams when she touches them. She touches her teacher on accident and sees a memory/dream and it is horrifying. She knows she is next. Awesome story! Loved it. Won this book from LibraryThing. Will look for more books by this author. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Apr 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The idea of a "dream eater" was interesting but the writing and explanations in this book seemed awkward and hard to follow. Little bits of information were revealed but not enough to keep my interest. Maybe in book 2 more will be explained. ( )
  JLLeonard | Apr 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A young woman in Portland Oregon is living a hermit-like existence, because physical contact with other people seems to transfer their dreams or memories to her. Then she discovers that her affliction is actually a talent inherited through her Dad: they are both “Dream Eaters”, a mythological nonhuman being from Japan. Just as she is beginning to understand this, she is also forced to try to protect her father from other malevolent creatures who are attempting to exploit him for their objectives.

The story is told mainly from the point of view of the main character, Koi. Koi's often witty “interior” dialog makes the book fun to read, balances the more serious aspects of the story. A minor criticism is that I felt that Koi seemed to evolve from a social misfit to a poised, semi-super-heroine a little too quickly. But this is a fast-paced action novel, so I guess that's alright. I think the author has a talent for creating believable and likable characters. The premise of conflict and/or cooperation between the mythological beings or creatures from Japan, the Middle East and North America is interesting, but a little more explanation would have helped me to follow along better.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, and will look for the sequel. The subtitle, “Portland Hafu Book 1”, indicates that there will be more stories with the same character set in Portland. This book should appeal to people who like the fantasy/action genres, especially with plots grounded in world mythology. And Oregon readers should enjoy the local color. ( )
  dougb56586 | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The blend of mythology, the supernatural and different cultures was intriguing and kept me reading the book until the end. I was (still am) ambivalent about the main character, on one hand I sympathise with her, she has a number of difficulties to overcome, she cannot touch people, she is misunderstood, she is trying to make the best of a ‘bad situation’ and has been kept in the dark about her abilities etc etc BUT she is stubbornly, defiantly ignorant about her condition. Instead of trying to find out what’s going on, she repeatedly leaps into situations and trusts to luck that it will turn out ok! That said, I did find her ability an intriguing one. I would read the next book providing she is a little more clued more clued up. I feel that on the whole it would suit young adults; it was a little naïve for me – well written though ( )
1 vote Suzanne289 | Apr 18, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

K. Bird Lincoln's book Dream Eater is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible