Dream Eater by K. Bird Lincoln

Dream Eater

by K. Bird Lincoln

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dream Eater by K. Bird Lincoln is an awesome fantasy with an Asian folklore flair. Our gal of the story is more than just a regular gal but something much more. She meets a guy that is more than a regular guy. She thinks her dad is losing his mind but he is trying to warn her about trouble coming. All her life she sees people's dreams when she touches them. She touches her teacher on accident and sees a memory/dream and it is horrifying. She knows she is next. Awesome story! Loved it. Won this book from LibraryThing. Will look for more books by this author. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Apr 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The idea of a "dream eater" was interesting but the writing and explanations in this book seemed awkward and hard to follow. Little bits of information were revealed but not enough to keep my interest. Maybe in book 2 more will be explained. ( )
  JLLeonard | Apr 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A young woman in Portland Oregon is living a hermit-like existence, because physical contact with other people seems to transfer their dreams or memories to her. Then she discovers that her affliction is actually a talent inherited through her Dad: they are both “Dream Eaters”, a mythological nonhuman being from Japan. Just as she is beginning to understand this, she is also forced to try to protect her father from other malevolent creatures who are attempting to exploit him for their objectives.

The story is told mainly from the point of view of the main character, Koi. Koi's often witty “interior” dialog makes the book fun to read, balances the more serious aspects of the story. A minor criticism is that I felt that Koi seemed to evolve from a social misfit to a poised, semi-super-heroine a little too quickly. But this is a fast-paced action novel, so I guess that's alright. I think the author has a talent for creating believable and likable characters. The premise of conflict and/or cooperation between the mythological beings or creatures from Japan, the Middle East and North America is interesting, but a little more explanation would have helped me to follow along better.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, and will look for the sequel. The subtitle, “Portland Hafu Book 1”, indicates that there will be more stories with the same character set in Portland. This book should appeal to people who like the fantasy/action genres, especially with plots grounded in world mythology. And Oregon readers should enjoy the local color. ( )
  dougb56586 | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The blend of mythology, the supernatural and different cultures was intriguing and kept me reading the book until the end. I was (still am) ambivalent about the main character, on one hand I sympathise with her, she has a number of difficulties to overcome, she cannot touch people, she is misunderstood, she is trying to make the best of a ‘bad situation’ and has been kept in the dark about her abilities etc etc BUT she is stubbornly, defiantly ignorant about her condition. Instead of trying to find out what’s going on, she repeatedly leaps into situations and trusts to luck that it will turn out ok! That said, I did find her ability an intriguing one. I would read the next book providing she is a little more clued more clued up. I feel that on the whole it would suit young adults; it was a little naïve for me – well written though ( )
1 vote Suzanne289 | Apr 18, 2017 |
Koi can read other people’s dreams – it’s a curse she’s had from childhood; a curse that brings consequences every time someone touches her. It’s made life almost impossible, but she’s finally getting it together… though she’s not ready to look after her father with Alzheimer’s

And then Ken comes to town and he seems to be carrying a whole lot of mystery with him – and one of her university professors has some terrifying dreams. And he’s fixated on her.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Koi. There’s a lot about her characterisation, her struggle, the affect her power has on her and how she is struggling to make a life despite that often in the face of scorn from her sister.

I really think her experience is closely related to disability. She struggles a lot with daily life, crowds, dealing with people and in general making it very hard to go out, shop, go to school. At the same time she is criticised sharply and condescended to by her sister who doesn’t understand why Koi can’t just do better – not knowing what she has to struggle with and just seeing her failing.

I like the nature of Koi’s power as a really unique element that I haven’t seen in many places and Koi’s experience of them is a good element. She does have a tragic-dead-mother and a father with Alzheimer’s – but while both weigh on her and shape her character, she isn’t consumed by it. They’re not used as quick and lazy characterisation for her, they have meaning, they’re actually shaping her

Unfortunately while I like these elements, Koi herself tends to annoy me. One of that is unfortunate word choice. Authors ”said” is an acceptable word – stop looking for synonyms. In this case, stop using “snapped”. Koi seems to be constantly snarling and snapping at everyone around her. And I don’t know if this is intentional or just bad word choice. Especially when later, Koi decides she absolutely has to put herself at risk because she wants a burrito. And maybe that would make it a little better if we’d better establish how much she needs to eat after using her power.

It doesn’t help that I really don’t like how she interacts with Ken. It seems to bounce between over the top unnecessary sexual attraction (which, yes, I get it – Koi’s power means she can’t touch people easily so meeting a guy she can kind of touch without consequence is a wonderful thing. But my gods that’s an overused trope!) and then back to really excessive antagonism which feels like someone has decided to take a long love/hate attraction storyline, speed it up and shoe-horn it into the story.

On top of this is a really unnecessary dragging out of the supernatural. Koi must be aware she is supernatural – early in the book she is clear she know she is dreaming other people’s dreams, she doesn’t think it’s some kind of delusion. So it’s not like she’s completely naïve to the supernatural. Ken is clearly aware of the supernatural as a major member of the supernatural community and organisations. It is obvious that Koi has been kept in the dark

But we keep circling – Ken assumes Koi is lying to him so doesn’t explain things. She assumes Ken is kind of weird so doesn’t ask questions. And they just keep circling for a waaaay too long for the first half of the book without answering the obvious questions.

But I do like how we are introduced to the supernatural in that not everything is explained to Koi. In particular we learn that the supernatural inhabitants of Seattle Portland have some kind of beef with the organisation that Ken is part of. I love the clear philosophical tension that is repeatedly referred but never entirely explained. And it shouldn’t be – clearly there are lots of issues concerning “purity” “being tainted” relationship to humans, killing and not killing, territory and snobbishness. I like that we’re touching on the hugeness here – but Koi is clearly not interested because she wants to rescue her father and sister. She doesn’t have the time or inclination for a history lesson. While Ken and Kwaskwi are clearly not going to lecture us on past issues between them or the underpinnings of their society. It would be extremely weird for them to have a time out for world building.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Apr 17, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

K. Bird Lincoln's book Dream Eater is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,404,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible