The Good Byline: A Riley Ellison Mystery by…

The Good Byline: A Riley Ellison Mystery

by Jill Orr

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Good Byline by Jill S. Orr is a wonderful unique mystery starting a series with the delightful Riley Ellison. Set in a small Southern town, you meet Riley with her love of obituaries and sadness over a breakup. Then comes the death of an old friend and Riley is now the obituary writer. That sets up the action and I love its originality. Seeing more Riley and her imaginary obituaries would be great. I hope to see more characters of the small town as well. Riley needs not be compared to Ms. Plum to make it as a heroine.
  jeshakespeare | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Good Byline: A Riley Ellison Mystery by Jill Orr is a fun blend of murder mystery with romantic comedy. Riley works as a library assistant (not a librarian, as her coworker likes to point out) and is still dealing with her boyfriend of 7 years leaving her. She decides to get her life in order, joining a dating website and looking up her old friend from high school. Unfortunately, her high school friend Jordan is dead, an alleged suicide. Riley is asked to write Jordan's obituary, and as she attempts to learn more about her old friend she becomes convinced that it was not a suicide. Between work and amateur sleuthing, she also attempts to reenter the dating scene and get over her old boyfriend.

The author manages to balance mystery, suspense, and a sense of danger with the comedy of Riley's romantic misadventures and interactions with the other people in her town. The emails from the dating site concierge are a great source of entertainment, accurate to the culture of upselling and hashtags that prevails today. The only thing I could've asked for would be more obituaries from Riley's collection - not necessarily connected to the storyline as much as an opportunity to showcase the idea that an obit can be a celebration of life as well as a potential source of humor. Riley's self-obits whenever she faces a problem are fairly entertaining. ( )
  paigeedd | May 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good beginning for Riley Ellison. I feel I have met many relatives of the townspeople of Tuttle Corner having lived in the South all my life. I starts out kind of rough, but this is a first novel, and smooths out at the end. Riley makes many of the predictable beginner mistakes, but I believe this would be worth checking out the next entry in the series. ( )
  bgknighton | May 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed myself while reading this book. A fun amateur sleuth mystery that had me laughing most of the time. My favorite bits were the words of wisdom from the Romance Concierge in between chapters and the mini-obituaries Riley writes for herself in each situation.
I liked watching Riley pull herself up by the bootstraps and get on with her life after her boyfriend of seven years left her to 'find himself' in Colorado. She has help from the people in her life, both new and old.
The mystery was well told and had me guessing the whole time and the solution made absolute sense. I do not like it when anything feels forced and there was absolutely nothing forced in the outcome.
I loved this book, the characters, the setting, the sayings...I really look forward to the next in the series.
Definitely recommend ( )
  Squeex | Apr 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a quick read and I enjoyed it. I thought it had a good blend of humor and suspense and I thought it was a great first novel for Jill Orr. I'm assuming there will be a second book in this series as there were several loose ends. I would definitely read it! ( )
  sherripo | Apr 26, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jill Orr's book The Good Byline is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,439,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible