The Good Byline: A Riley Ellison Mystery by…

The Good Byline: A Riley Ellison Mystery

by Jill Orr

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When Riley Ellison learns that her childhood best friend Jordan has committed suicide, she’s both grieved and shocked. Jordan’s mother asks her to write the obituary, so Riley begins to investigate Jordan’s life. She soon becomes convinced that Jordan didn’t kill herself, and she teams up with a local journalist to discover the truth. Meanwhile, in an attempt to get over being dumped by her long-term boyfriend, she subscribes to an online dating service, with entertaining results. I have to say, I enjoyed the chick lit aspects of this novel much more than the mystery aspects—Regina H., Personal Romance Concierge, was a delight! But the mystery was very predictable, and I didn’t buy Riley’s somewhat indifferent reaction to her former BFF’s death. I’d consider reading a future book in the series, but I won’t be waiting with bated breath. ( )
  christina_reads | Jun 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m not usually a mystery person, but the back cover of this one attracted me. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I thought a bit of the story was obvious, but still like it. The heroine was delightful and - in my opinion - fairly original. ( )
  stephivist | Jun 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good, fun mystery. The main character is struggling with her life in a small southern town when her high school friend is found dead of an apparent suicide. The friends parents ask Riley to write her obituary for the local paper. In the meantime while researching her friends life she joins an online dating service. Many twists, turn and misdirections lead to a good story. ( )
  CheryleFisher | May 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Good Byline by Jill S. Orr is a wonderful unique mystery starting a series with the delightful Riley Ellison. Set in a small Southern town, you meet Riley with her love of obituaries and sadness over a breakup. Then comes the death of an old friend and Riley is now the obituary writer. That sets up the action and I love its originality. Seeing more Riley and her imaginary obituaries would be great. I hope to see more characters of the small town as well. Riley needs not be compared to Ms. Plum to make it as a heroine.
  jeshakespeare | May 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Good Byline: A Riley Ellison Mystery by Jill Orr is a fun blend of murder mystery with romantic comedy. Riley works as a library assistant (not a librarian, as her coworker likes to point out) and is still dealing with her boyfriend of 7 years leaving her. She decides to get her life in order, joining a dating website and looking up her old friend from high school. Unfortunately, her high school friend Jordan is dead, an alleged suicide. Riley is asked to write Jordan's obituary, and as she attempts to learn more about her old friend she becomes convinced that it was not a suicide. Between work and amateur sleuthing, she also attempts to reenter the dating scene and get over her old boyfriend.

The author manages to balance mystery, suspense, and a sense of danger with the comedy of Riley's romantic misadventures and interactions with the other people in her town. The emails from the dating site concierge are a great source of entertainment, accurate to the culture of upselling and hashtags that prevails today. The only thing I could've asked for would be more obituaries from Riley's collection - not necessarily connected to the storyline as much as an opportunity to showcase the idea that an obit can be a celebration of life as well as a potential source of humor. Riley's self-obits whenever she faces a problem are fairly entertaining. ( )
  paigeedd | May 11, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jill Orr's book The Good Byline is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible