The Sixth Victim by Tessa Harris

3.75 Stars → A poor flower girl named Constance with the gift of clairvoyance is searching for her missing teacher on the streets of Jack the Ripper's London in Tessa Harris' historical mystery THE SIXTH VICTIM. At the same time, an upper crust lady enlists Constance's help in finding her missing sister, fearing she may be the sixth victim of the deranged murderer.

This was an audio/eBook combo read for me. I enjoy Victorian mysteries, and this was a good one, definitely pulls readers into the dark and grizzly happenings of the time. Confusing at first, the book took me a few chapters before I felt comfortable with the characters and story, though overall I liked it. Constance is an intriguing and sympathetic character, and the perfect heroine for this new series.

The audiobook was performed by two narrators, Fiona Hardingham and Gemma Dawson. Their accents and inflections for the many characters helped make this an entertaining story. Eerie and gruesome!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley (eBook) and the publisher (audiobook) in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Aug 13, 2017 |
Thieves perpetuated from poverty and the hopelessness to survive! Constance and her sister Flo spend their day selling flowers to patrons doomed to have their pockets picked. Emily a teacher strives to make reality brighter for the unfortunate in the 1880's of London. Narration bounces between Constance and Emily and was quite confusing until the rhythm was obtained by this reader. The terror of Jack-the-Ripper plays a primary part in this story combined with the question of missing persons.
Many characters to keep track of that intertwine in the shadows of Tessa Harris' story. Entertaining read with a sprinkling of the paranormal involved. Dark, violent, sad and gruesome events are depicted. "A copy of this book was provided to me by Kensington Books via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read and my comments here are my honest opinion."
3 likes ( )
  marandajo | May 30, 2017 |
I love anything to do with Jack the Ripper and the late 1800's in the East End of London. "The Sixth Victim" by Tessa Harris does a absolutely fantastic job of bringing this time period to life in a very realistic and vivid way.
A young flower girl named Constance Piper is trying to live her life as best she can in the East End while trying to come to terms with her apparent clairvoyant abilities and also the fear of walking the streets while Jack is on the loose. She is also searching for her missing teacher, Emily Tindall who taught her to read and speak correctly, and saw much promise in the very intelligent young girl. Then Constance is contacted by a high-born lady who worries that the latest victim attributed to Jack is her sister and wants Constance to use her clairvoyant powers to help her find out the truth.
Jack the Ripper's East End is brought to life so very well. I know I said it before but I was very impressed by Tessa Harris's ability to bring a long forgotten time period to life. I felt as if I were walking along with Constance in the East End and the West End. The characters were so well developed and the story flowed so well that I was reluctant to put the book down. I can't wait for the next book in this series. I love historical mysteries and this seems like it will be among the best.
I received a copy of this book from Kensington Books via Netgalley for free in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Veronica.Sparrow | May 22, 2017 |
** spoiler alert ** Set in London during the days of the Jack the Ripper frenzy, this book was both entertaining and creepy. The murders of Jack the Ripper, while important to the story, are mostly in the background.

The main story is told of two characters. One is Constance who thinks she may be clairvoyant as she keeps dreaming things and seeing things while in a desperate attempt to find her friend, Emily Tindall. Emily is the second major character who has become Constance's friend. She has been trying to educate her in all things regarding being a lady. In the meantime, Constance comes to be introduced to a lady of means who is looking for her sister and inquires about Constance's help in her journey.

Suddenly Emily disappears and Constance is on the hunt to find her friend. This leads to the start of Constance's dreams and sets her on a path of regarding a sixth victim who has been found murdered. This murder is much different than the one's left behind by Jack the Ripper. However, is he the culprit and two women are missing? Could the body be one of those people that Constance is looking for?

A creepy, suspenseful and tragic read that held my interest way into the night.

Huge thanks to Kensington Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley to read and review with an honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  debkrenzer | May 20, 2017 |

London's East End, 1888: When darkness falls, terror begins ...The foggy streets of London's Whitechapel district have become a nocturnal hunting ground for Jack the Ripper, and no woman is safe. Flower girl Constance Piper is not immune to dread, but she is more preoccupied with her own strange experiences of late.Clairvoyants seem to be everywhere these days. Constance's mother has found comfort in contacting her late father in a s?ance. But are such powers real? And could Constance really be possessed of second sight? She longs for the wise counsel of her mentor and champion of the poor, Emily Tindall, but the kind missionary has gone missing.Following the latest grisly discovery, Constance is contacted by a high-born lady of means who fears the victim may be her missing sister. She implores Constance to use her clairvoyance to help solve the crime, which the press is calling "the Whitechapel Mystery," attributing the murder to the Ripper.As Constance becomes embroiled in intrigue far more sinister than she could have imagined, assistance comes in a startling manner that profoundly challenges her assumptions about the nature of reality. She'll need all the help she can get-because there may be more than one depraved killer out there...Praise for Tessa Harris and the Dr. Thomas Silkstone Mysteries The Lazarus Curse "Stellar . . . Harris's prose and characterizations have only become more assured." -Publishers Weekly (starred review)"Harris successfully balances history, homicide, sorcery and social justice in her idealistic hero's fourth case." -Kirkus Reviews The Devil's Breath "Excellent . . . Both literally and figuratively atmospheric, this will appeal to fans of Imogen Robertson's series during the same period." -Publishers Weekly (starred review)The?Dead?Shall?Not?Rest "Populated with real historical characters and admirably researched, Harris's novel features a complex and engrossing plot. A touch of romance makes this sophomore outing even more enticing. Savvy readers will also recall Hilary Mantel's The Giant, O'Brien ." -Library Journal The?Anatomist's?Apprentice "Densely plotted . . . We await-indeed, demand-the sequel." -The New York Times Book Review… (more)

Tessa Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,985,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible