Until It Fades: A Novel by K. A. Tucker

Until It Fades: A Novel

by K. A. Tucker

K.A. Tucker always seems to amaze me with her heart-felt and original stories. Her characters and plot are always intriguing and easy to read.

This story was no different in those aspects. I found myself turning page after page, wanting more. I fell in love with the characters almost instantly. The story took on a life as its own.

I can never seem to get enough of Tucker's stories. I never seem to want them to end. The love, warmth, likeable characters, and ever moving plot will always keep me coming back to read her books! ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
What a wonderful slow-building romance! Until it Fades was such a sweet treat for me. The story slowly unfurls starting with the backstory of Catherine Wright. Then it moves on to the crash that nearly cost Brett his life and dealing with the aftermath that would come with saving a hockey hero. For lovers of romance there are some swoony times which culminates with the sweetest happily ever after. A perfect romance story for anyone looking to enjoy two people falling in love without any unnecessary and complicated drama.

The story is set in a small town in Pennsylvania and the main character Cath has been on the receiving end of small town ostracizing due to her relationship with a well-connected scumbag….oh wait sorry, I meant older gentleman 😉. Trying to scrape her life together after reality slaps her upside her head, Catherine has had a tough go of things but has managed this far. She has kept her head down with her only focus being her beautiful daughter.

Until everything goes up into the air after Catherine manages to miraculously save Brett Madden, a pro-hockey player. Although she tried to stay out of the limelight she was not able to remain anonymous for long. Caught up in a media storm Cath had to accept that she would have to publicly acknowledge that she did indeed save his life. This was not what she wanted at all after having lived through one scandal she did not want this new sensation to dig up her old dirt.

Gratitude doesn’t begin to explain how Brett and his family feel but after meeting Cath, Brett is feeling more than just gratitude. He is enamored with this slight of a woman who saved his life. What follows is the push pull of attraction versus fear. Catherine has to choose to overcome her fears in order to allow herself to experience all that Brett has to offer. If she is going to have the fairytale ending then she needs to be all in.

This was a darling little romance that isn’t completely predictable. There were some potential problems and obstacles thrown in to the story that made me wonder if things were going to turn for the worst. I did keep waiting for the inevitable conflict that would arise between the two characters that would threaten to tear them apart in an overly dramatic fashion. Luckily, there was none of that. This was a romance of boy meets girl and they fall in love. Yes, there is doubt and conflict over trust but it was just such a cute romance. I loved it!

If I could change anything it would have been that the story included Brett’s point of view. I would have given almost anything to have been in this character’s head. His feelings were well described but I would have loved to read how he felt, what he thought, and to experience his emotional reactions both said and unsaid. There is only so much that can be described from another’s point of view.

The characters in this story are very realistic and I really appreciated the attention the author paid to not only the main characters but the supporting characters as well. The cast as a whole really made this story utterly charming and it is a book I would read again! This is a happily ever after romance and a perfect read for all romance readers. Just a lovely delight of a read.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jun 16, 2017 |
4.5 "Accidental Love" Stars!

I love how KA Tucker can switch romance sub-genres and prove that she's a great writer no matter what she writes! Please note that Until it Fades has a very different feel from some of Ms. Tucker's prior works. This is a sweet romance, not romantic suspense. Unlike many of Ms. Tucker's prior romances which have a strong suspense element and a darker, more angst-filled feeling to them overall, this book is a gem to be treasured when you're in the mood for a light, sweet, hope-filled and inspiring romance. In the right mood, this book is sure to leave you with a warm, contented feeling.

There are some experiences that are so fundamental that they can completely shape your life in either a positive or negative way. Unfortunately for Catherine Wright, the first such experience happened when she was but a teenager and too young to perhaps know any better but blamed nonetheless. Having experienced her 15 minutes of infamy, she approaches her life content to wallow in anonymity, even if it does mean that with a few exceptions, including her young daughter, she leads a fairly solitary life (eschewing any attempts at a romantic connection).

All that changes, however, when a chance meeting on a winding road places her face to face with an accident scene. Rather than flee at the first sign of danger, however, she does a rather selfless act, and saves a man. What she couldn't have known at the time was that the man she saved was none other than Brett Madden, a hockey legend and the son of a famous movie star. As you can imagine, being the good samaritan who saves someone like Brett, sparks the potential for a whole new, even bigger 15 minutes of fame. Moreover, this time a positive one. Although she would be viewed as a hero this time, however, she nonetheless was so traumatized by her prior experience that she prefers to grasp on to her anonymity, even to the point of refusing to allow her friend and police officer who is handling the case to disclose her name to Brett.

But Brett is a powerful man, who comes from an even more powerful family, and he is reluctant to take no for an answer. So when he inevitably finds her and seems drawn to her, Catherine is forced to make a very difficult decision of determining whether she's ready to break her own rules and allow someone to get close to her again.

Until it Fades drew me in and warmed my heart. Moreover, I really enjoyed a number of the secondary characters which added depth to the plot. In the end, I was left with a hopeful feeling that even those in the most unfortunate of situations are equally capable of reversing their fortunes provided they are willing to trust and open up their hearts.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | May 4, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150113339X, Digital)

"Tucker is adept at spinning stories with hot romance, unexpected twists and turns, and a strong, independent female lead who is not afraid to take charge, who is not perfect-which is why she feels so real." -Toronto StarTwenty-four-year-old truck stop waitress and single mother Catherine Wright has simple goals: to give her five-year-old daughter a happy life and to never again be the talk of the town in Balsam, Pennsylvania (population three thousand outside of tourist season). And then one foggy night, on a lonely road back from another failed date, Catherine saves a man's life. It isn't until after the police have arrived that Catherine realizes exactly who it is she has rescued: Brett Madden, hockey icon and media darling. Catherine has already had her fifteen minutes of fame and the last thing she wants is to have her past dragged back into the spotlight, only this time on a national stage. So she hides her identity. It works. For a time. But when she finds the man she saved standing on her doorstep, desperate to thank her, all that changes. There's an immediate connection, and it's more electric than the bond of two people who endured a traumatic event. It's something neither of them expected. Something that Catherine isn't sure she can handle; something she is afraid to trust. Because how long can an extraordinary man like Brett be interested in an ordinary woman like Catherine...before the spark fades?

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 24 Mar 2017 17:26:12 -0400)

"A sexy new romance about a small-town woman who saves the life of a mysterious man, and finds herself unexpectedly thrown into a whirlwind love affair, featuring bestselling author K.A. Tucker's signature "well-constructed, pulse-pounding suspense" (USA TODAY). Twenty-four-year-old truck stop waitress and single mother Catherine Wright has simple goals: to give her five-year-old daughter a happy life and to never again be the talk of the town in Balsam, Pennsylvania: population two thousand outside of tourist season. And then one foggy night, on a lonely road back from another failed attempt at a relationship, Catherine saves a man's life. It isn't until after the police have arrived that Catherine realizes exactly who it is she has saved: Brett Madden, hockey icon and media darling. Catherine has already had her fifteen minutes of fame and the last thing she wants is to have her past dragged back into the spotlight, only this time on a national stage. So she hides her identity. It works. For a time. But when she finds the man she saved standing on her doorstep, desperate to thank her, all that changes. What begins as an immediate friendship quickly turns into something neither of them expected. Something that Catherine isn't sure she can handle; something that Catherine is afraid to trust. Because how long can an extraordinary man like Brett be interested in an ordinary woman like Catherine ... before the spark fades?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible