The Postman by David Brin

The Postman (edition 1997)

by David Brin

3,015631,891 (3.72)1 / 168
Member:dandelionroots
Title:The Postman
Authors:David Brin
Info:Spectra (1997), Edition: paperback / softback, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Fiction

The Postman by David Brin

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: Not a similar plot, but a classic book about a post-apocalyptic civilization.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (redroc)
    Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling (MikeBriggs)
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Although the language is very different the themes are similar
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Postman was influenced by Alas, Babylon.

English (61)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (63)
A guy struggles to survive in a post cataclysm world, traveling from township to township, avoiding bandits and murderers on the road. He comes across a US Postal Service uniform, and is inspired to invent a story out of whole cloth of a renascent United States Government to which he reports back to. He's the reluctant hero, always hoping to avoid the responsibility of his vision, but unable to step aside at the crunch moments, fighting the barbarians literally at the gates.

The writing is a bit stiff and dated, and the final parts of the story hinge around a form of women's liberation, but if feels patronisingly told. Would not rush out to find more Brin. ( )
  Matt_B | Feb 28, 2016 |
I really loved this book. It was a gripping tale of Gordon Krantz, an American survivor of the Doomwar that has left America (and presumably the rest of the world) in a state of near pre-industrialization disarray. After being robbed, Gordon stumbles upon a long-deceased postal service worker and takes over his uniform. Not long after he realizes that the people he encounters are treating him differently - almost with reverence - because of the uniform. They take it as a sign of hope for recovery, and after a while, Gordon stops disabusing them...

This was a wonderfully written book that asks big questions and provides answers that are refreshing and complicated. A great ride. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
A personal take on what one man decides do - that asks us to consider what might do in similar circumstances. As end-of-the-world genre books go it’s okay. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
In my experience people who pretend to be postmen are usually up to no good, they are more apt to enter your homes under false pretenses and rob you blind than attempt to unite the post apocalyptic Disunited States of America. The protagonist of this book has to be the most heroic postman in fiction. You thought Postman Pat and Cliff Clavin from Cheers are the bees knees? They got nothing on Gordon The Postman, he really knows how to deliver!

This is the second Brin book for me, the previous one I read was [b:Startide Rising|234501|Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)|David Brin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1432746993s/234501.jpg|251634] which was fun but just a wee bit disappointing in that it did not resonate with me much (those "uplifted" dolphins are just a little too cute for me, even the badass ones). Still, I like Brin's writing and the basic premise of The Postman so I thought I'd give it a go, and it turned out to be one of my more inspired decisions. An optimistic post apocalypse book is a rarity, if this is a sub-sub genre I doubt it will catch on, you don't warn people about the errors of their ways only to have things eventually turning out OK. I think this book is more about idealism than a commentary about where the world is heading today. It is about a lie that grows into a truth rather than “A lie told often enough becomes the truth” which is an entirely different mailbag.

While the story is sentimental in places, and not entirely unpredictable or cliche-free, Mr. Brin pushes the right buttons most of the time (leaving the left buttons entirely untouched). He has me cheering "AMERICA F*CK YEAH!" and I am not even American. I also like it that when the climactic kickassery ensues it is not between the titular Postman and the "boss villain", let the more interesting side character do the heavy lifting for a change. This is an excellent read that touches me at the emotional core. Five stars? I'd award it all the stars in the sky plus those residing in Hollywood!

Note: I don't think I want to see the Costner movie after reading this factoid on IMDb. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
Excellent book by one of the best of today's scifi writers. Good story, moves right along. Even if you've seen the movie, the book is worth reading. It differs significantly from the movie. ( )
  rondoctor | Jun 13, 2015 |
The great virtue of "The Postman" by David Brin is that it takes nothing for granted...Mr. Brin offers no simplistic formulas; nothing comes easy for the postman or the people he tries to help... Still, I found myself wishing that the ''war for men's minds'' in this book had a convincing personal as well as a sociological dimension. I am afraid that it would take a more complex character than his likable but limited postman to do justice to the important issues Mr. Brin raises.

David Brinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hallman, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Benjamin Franklin,
devious genius,
and to Lysistrata,
who tried
In dust and blood - with the sharp tang of terror stark in his nostrils - a man's mind wil sometimes pull forth odd relevancies.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553278746, Mass Market Paperback)

Gordon Krantz survived the Doomwar only to spend years crossing a post-apocalypse United States looking for something or someone he could believe in again. Ironically, when he's inadvertently forced to assume the made-up role of a "Restored United States" postal inspector, he becomes the very thing he's been seeking: a symbol of hope and rebirth for a desperate nation. Gordon goes through the motions of establishing a new postal route in the Pacific Northwest, uniting secluded towns and enclaves that are starved for communication with the rest of the world. And even though inside he feels like a fraud, eventually he will have to stand up for the new society he's helping to build or see it destroyed by fanatic survivalists. This classic reprint is not one of David Brin's best books, but the moving story he presents overcomes mediocre writing and contrived plots.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

In the aftermath of a war that has devastated the nation, a traveling storyteller borrows the jacket of a long-dead postal worker and is transformed unwittingly into a symbol of hope for America's future.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible