A Poisoned Prayer by Michael Skeet

A Poisoned Prayer

by Michael Skeet

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fantastic! I didn't want to put this book down. A great historical mystery with a strong woman brandishing a rapier! There is also an element of magic that guides us through the pages. Love! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jun 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I hate it when I have to struggle to write a review. As a huge, HUGE fan of The Three Musketeers, a lover of Regency-styled romance stories and willing to dabble a little with fantasy reads, Skeet has come up with a rather fun combination: A young, rapier-wielding female heroine in a fantasy version of 17th century Paris with all of the basic trappings of a court with musketeers, a controlling cardinal and a dastardly plot to overthrow the current ruler on the go. A world where the aristocracy are "Blessed" with the ability to cast magical spells by way of prayer/song. From that general perspective, this story has a lot to offer a reader like me. I liked how the action pacing is steady and Skeet does a fabulous job keeping the identities of the perpetrators a mystery until the end. On the downside, the story tends to lurch a bit from section to section. I had to dispel belief when Lise has no problem dressing up as her cousin Robert, basically fooling everyone about her identity, especially when a courtesan friend of Robert's accosts Lise at a gaming house, engages Lise in sexual foreplay and doesn't even realize that it isn't Robert. That, and the inclusion of the dark spectre Shahrbaz (a minor character that really doesn't fit with the overall tone, feel and character of the story), tended to throw me off what is otherwise a rather good historical/fantasy adventure story.

Overall, a decent read and one that I would have felt was squarely targeted for the YA audience, expect for that courtesan encounter I mentioned above. That strikes me as requiring a bit of an older audience. ( )
  lkernagh | May 21, 2017 |
For Lorna, who knew first.
“By God, Julien,” Lise muttered, “if you’ve killed us I’ll never forgive you."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Michael Skeet's book A Poisoned Prayer is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible