The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer

The Quiet Gentleman (original 1951; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

1,039268,114 (4)82
Member:TheAmateur
Title:The Quiet Gentleman
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Library Roulette

The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer (1951)

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
The Quiet Gentleman the story of the eventful homecoming of the new Earl of St. Erth after a military career fighting Napoleon. His stepmother and half-brother wish he had died in the wars and are hardly thrilled to see him come home, but things seem to be going smoothly enough—until someone starts trying to kill him. It will take all of Gervase's wits to keep himself alive long enough to find his adversary. Maybe he should have stayed in France.

A fun historical mystery. Recommended for Heyer fans and those who enjoy Regency-set mysteries. ( )
  inge87 | Apr 14, 2014 |
Excellent Heyer romance, with a bit of mystery thrown in. Who is trying to kill Gervase Frant, Earl of St Erth? Napoleon's army couldn't do it, but are his spiteful half-brother and stepmother planning to finish the job? And will Gervase steal his brother's sweetheart, the beautiful Marianne, or fall for the less lovely but smart Drusilla?

I've enjoyed almost all of Heyer's books, and this one is no exception. The excellent review at audiogirls.com inspired me to add it to my to-listen list. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I don't know how Georgette Heyer manages to send me into flutters with each new (to me) book of hers I read. This one kept me occupied with a murder mystery as well, which I always like (though strange to say, I don't enjoy Heyer's non-Regency mysteries). It's an interesting set of characters, and an interesting choice of romance -- Heyer really wasn't locked in to any stereotypes of romance, but picked characters that were different enough in each book to avoid too much repetition. I love the ending, too, with Miss Morville's father arguing with the Countess!

This is a quieter sort of romance than in, say, The Grand Sophy. It isn't characterised by witty banter and point-scoring, but by a gentle understanding unfolding as background to a drama of characters. Characters who I came to love -- even the villain of the piece, though it doesn't help there that his motives seem a little thin. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 13, 2013 |
Returning home from the Napoleonic Wars, Gervase Frant found himself confronted by a hostile step-mother and half-brother, neither of whom was happy that he had survived to become the new Earl of St. Erth. Struggling to come to terms with his unhappy relations, Gervase soon found himself the target of a series of assassination attempts. But was his envious half-brother Martin behind it all...?

Although a pleasant enough read, particularly for Georgette Heyer devotees, The Quite Gentleman isn't entirely successful, either as a romance or a suspense novel. The "mystery" was immediately obvious in its solution, and the romance wasn't very well developed. Given that Gervase actually comments on how unappealing he finds Drusilla Morville at the beginning of the novel, Heyer might have dwelt a little longer on his change of heart, rather than allow the reader to assume it from the narrative developments. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 25, 2013 |
Very enjoyable. It lagged a bit in the middle, but the rest of the book made up for that. I like the way Heyer could make fun of the romantic conventions that she herself had developed, in this case by having the most prosaic of heroines (named Drusilla, of all things). The hero, the Earl of St Erth, is likeable, but we get very little inkling of his thought process, despite the fact that he is the main focus of of the narration. The humour is more low key than in some of Heyer's books. It is good, but not one of her best. ( )
  SylviaC | Jun 7, 2013 |
In the guide-books it figured as Stanyon Castle; on the tongues of the villagers, it was the Castle; the Polite World spoke of it as Stanyon, as it spoke of Woburn, and of Cheveley.

"I hate you, St Erth! From the bottom of my heart, I hate you!"

When Gervase Frant, the seventh Earl of St Erth arrived somewhat belatedly at his family seat, he found a family who looked less than kindly on his homecoming...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836848, Mass Market Paperback)

An unwelcome return . . .

Unscathed from the wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he must establish himself as the new head of the house . . . and ignore his family's rising hostility.

And a resented rival

Then Gervase's eye is caught by a lovely young woman -- the same woman already much in favor with his half brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new Earl of Stanyon dead . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:28 -0400)

Upon his return from Waterloo, Gervase Frant expected a hero's welcome-instead he's given a frigid cold shoulder. But when he begins to fall for his half-brother's sweetheart, his chilly reception goes from unfriendly to murderous as Gervase finds himself in several life-threatening "accident."… (more)

81 wanted2 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,498,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible