The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer

The Quiet Gentleman (original 1951; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:TheAmateur
Title:The Quiet Gentleman
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Library Roulette

The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer (1951)

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Not bad, but not a good Heyer. It's a little too funny to be as deep as it is, and a little too deep to be properly funny. I quite like both Gervase and Drusilla, but their interactions are a little off for me. The mystery is rather neat - it's well-seeded, in the sense that after the revelation I was rethinking quite a few scenes that had made one kind of sense at the time. The usual proportion of idiots that Heyer provides, in pretty much the standard distribution. Not a favorite, but not bad. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 10, 2016 |
I found the beginning of The Quiet Gentleman so slow that I put it down and didn't pick it up again for at least a week. Gervase Frant, the new Earl of St Erth and possessor of some strange names, isn't exactly welcomed home by his stepmother and younger half-brother, and seems set to - predictably - fall in love with the local beauty, but the story didn't seem to be going anywhere.
And I didn't care about enough of the characters enough to be happy meandering around their immediate surrounds with them without much plot.

However, I persevered and I am really glad I did! The tension picked up and The Quiet Gentleman surprised me.

It isn't as humorous as some of Heyer's other novels, because it's a more serious story, but there are still some funny scenes. (Why aren't there any BBC-type adaptations of Heyers novels yet?) And there's character development, and characters showing awareness of Gothic tropes, and a mystery that didn't unfold as I expected. This is the best Heyer I've read in ages!

My favourite character is Miss Drusilla Morville, because she's so level-headed and resourceful, and that was satisfying to read about.

Not even when his lifeless body had been carried into the Castle had she conducted herself like a heroine of romance! Had she fainted at the sight of his blood-soaked raiment? Had she screamed? No! All she had done had been to direct Ulverston to do one thing, Turvey another, Chard to ride for the doctor, while she herself had done what lay within her power to staunch the bleeding.
At this point the prosaic [side of] Miss Morville intervened. "Just as well!" she said.
"He would have liked me better had I fallen into a swoon!" argued Drusilla.
"Nonsense! He would have been dead, for well you know that no one else had the least notion of what to do!"
  Herenya | Mar 31, 2016 |
My second Heyer book was a bit different because there was a big mystery in it, still it was not one of her true mystery novel. There is romance, mystery and the stillness that is proper manners.

First I was not sure about this one, mostly cos I felt Gervase was going after the wrong woman. Well I feared so. Though that fixes itself because he is a very quiet gentleman. A proper and nice man, a bit too nice actually. But then I do think Heyer seemed to like second chances and being all nice and all.

Back to the story. Gervase comes home. His younger step-brother resents him because he wants to be lord of the manor and get the pretty girl. Soon strange things start to happen. Who wants to kill Gervase? And that is the question. The way she continued to spin things did have me wondering even if I guessed it (ok I did not settle, I had options).

Martin the step-brother was very young and rushed into things. Still I never disliked him. Cousin Theo was all nice and managed things around the place. Miss Morville I liked from the start and hoped Gervase would fall for her. Miss Bolderwood was the beauty everyone fell for but yes just too pretty and nice (not the smartest cookie in the jar). Lucy (not a girl, just a nick-name) was Gervase's friend and fell for the local beauty too. But before you think everyone fell for her, I think I can spoil things and say that Gervase did not. It's not really a spoiler since he kind of realizes it at once. It was a full cast of characters who all brought something to the book.

And again, everyone is just so proper and it is fantastic. The style is truly Austen and the language so too. I can't help to giggle when a certain young woman cries that someone tried to make love to her. Oh the phrasing is just wonderful. She meant kiss, nothing more.

Still I did feel it was a bit slow at times, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Conclusion:
Heyer is just fun.

blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
After surviving the Battle of Waterloo, Gervase Frant returns to his family home to take up the mantle of Earl of St.Erth. His step-mother and her son are not pleased to see him: they had hoped he would die so that Martin would succeed to the title. Several attempts on Gervase's life later, he uncovers the identity of the would-be assassin and marries his True Luv. Since I knew the identity of both within about ten pages, this book drags. I often laugh out loud while reading a Heyer novel, but I was never tempted while reading this one. I didn't care about the love affairs either; they each felt predetermined and lusterless.
Still and all, worth an afternoon. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
There's more action than usual in this Regency novel: clever plotting with a bit of mystery, and as ever with Heyer, an exciting and satisfying conclusion.

There are wonderfully drawn characters, although the opening pages are a bit long-winded, and for someone new to Heyer it can take a while to get into the dialect and descriptive language, even though it's apparently quite authentic.

The Earl of St Erth is a quiet, almost dandified young man who really doesn't like conflict; yet it appears that his half-brother Martin loathes him. Having read it so many times before I remembered the outcome, and even the last few scenes, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment at all.

I'd give it three and a half stars if I could. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Feb 8, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garret, CorneliusNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the guide-books it figured as Stanyon Castle; on the tongues of the villagers, it was the Castle; the Polite World spoke of it as Stanyon, as it spoke of Woburn, and of Cheveley.

"I hate you, St Erth! From the bottom of my heart, I hate you!"

When Gervase Frant, the seventh Earl of St Erth arrived somewhat belatedly at his family seat, he found a family who looked less than kindly on his homecoming...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836848, Mass Market Paperback)

An unwelcome return . . .

Unscathed from the wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he must establish himself as the new head of the house . . . and ignore his family's rising hostility.

And a resented rival

Then Gervase's eye is caught by a lovely young woman -- the same woman already much in favor with his half brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new Earl of Stanyon dead . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Upon his return from Waterloo, Gervase Frant expected a hero's welcome-instead he's given a frigid cold shoulder. But when he begins to fall for his half-brother's sweetheart, his chilly reception goes from unfriendly to murderous as Gervase finds himself in several life-threatening "accident."… (more)

81 wanted2 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,568,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible