The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer

The Quiet Gentleman (original 1951; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:TheAmateur
Title:The Quiet Gentleman
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Library Roulette

The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer (1951)

Recently added byGanneC, MLLincoln_Library, Kays_Kindle, private library, thea-block, LT_Ammar

English (32)  German (1)  All languages (33)
Substance: The usual cast of underestimated heroes (male and female), duplicitous relations, clueless matrons, and amorous ladies. There is a substantial mystery component which is handled fairly in the best English whodunit tradition.
Style: Heyer is unfailingly humorous and engaging, but sometimes a little muddled; this book is actually more clearly written than some. ( )
  librisissimo | Dec 3, 2015 |
  Filzero | Nov 27, 2015 |
I haven't read a Georgette Heyer novel in more than 45 years. I'd forgotten how witty and ascerbic she could make her characters. Other passengers on my commuter train must have thought I was nuts for laughing out loud so often. The mystery here is slight. I figured it out before the 1/4 way point, but that's not important to me. I just loved the characters and watching them interact and find their ways. I clearly need to add more of her books to my list, this was a total romp! ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 10, 2015 |
In the guide-books it figured as Stanyon Castle; on the tongues of the villagers, it was the Castle; the Polite World spoke of it as Stanyon, as it spoke of Woburn, and of Cheveley.

"I hate you, St Erth! From the bottom of my heart, I hate you!"

When Gervase Frant, the seventh Earl of St Erth arrived somewhat belatedly at his family seat, he found a family who looked less than kindly on his homecoming...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836848, Mass Market Paperback)

An unwelcome return . . .

Unscathed from the wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he must establish himself as the new head of the house . . . and ignore his family's rising hostility.

And a resented rival

Then Gervase's eye is caught by a lovely young woman -- the same woman already much in favor with his half brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new Earl of Stanyon dead . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Upon his return from Waterloo, Gervase Frant expected a hero's welcome-instead he's given a frigid cold shoulder. But when he begins to fall for his half-brother's sweetheart, his chilly reception goes from unfriendly to murderous as Gervase finds himself in several life-threatening "accident."… (more)

77 wanted2 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,086,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible