The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer

The Quiet Gentleman (original 1951; edition 2011)

by Georgette Heyer

1,204416,655 (3.93)144
Member:TheAmateur
Title:The Quiet Gentleman
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2011), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Library Roulette

The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer (1951)

English (40)  German (1)  All (41)
Earl of Stanyon returns home to take charge of his estates, only to find seething hostility and competition for position as the master. Attempted murder and various other plots heighten the adventure. Some fairly implausible episodes but an amusing story nonetheless. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 25, 2017 |
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 25, 2017 |
I think in this novel Ms. Heyer must have been thinking about writing her mysteries because this was far more about "who did it" Then it was about a love story.

Gervase St. Erth has come home a year after his father died making him the Earl. At home is his step-momma and half-brother as well as what seems to be a less well-to-do young woman, a Miss Morville. Of course there Gervase is handsome and of course Miss Morville is smart and wise but not a great Beauty. But truly this romance had so little chemistry between the two if one didn't know better you might question whether this was a romance - almost gothic in nature.

I found myself not really caring if Gervase got the girl. I was far more interested in who was trying to kill him. Entertaining read that shows Ms. Heyer can be versatile. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Not bad, but not a good Heyer. It's a little too funny to be as deep as it is, and a little too deep to be properly funny. I quite like both Gervase and Drusilla, but their interactions are a little off for me. The mystery is rather neat - it's well-seeded, in the sense that after the revelation I was rethinking quite a few scenes that had made one kind of sense at the time. The usual proportion of idiots that Heyer provides, in pretty much the standard distribution. Not a favorite, but not bad. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 10, 2016 |
Didn’t think I was going to like this one at first, owing to the opening being a long-winded explanation of backstory. Even when the characters were introduced the narrative seemed tinged with something mundane. Thankfully this feeling gradually ebbed away, allowing a humorous and mysterious tale to play out.

I like most of the characters, especially Martin, Drusilla, Gervase, and the dowager. Marianne was my favourite – she’s one of Ms Heyer’s classic air-headed yet good-hearted beauties, brightening up every scene she appears in.

An entertaining read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 3, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Garret, CorneliusNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the guide-books it figured as Stanyon Castle; on the tongues of the villagers, it was the Castle; the Polite World spoke of it as Stanyon, as it spoke of Woburn, and of Cheveley.

"I hate you, St Erth! From the bottom of my heart, I hate you!"

When Gervase Frant, the seventh Earl of St Erth arrived somewhat belatedly at his family seat, he found a family who looked less than kindly on his homecoming...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836848, Mass Market Paperback)

An unwelcome return . . .

Unscathed from the wars, Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Earl of Stanyon. But his stepmother's resentment and his half brother's open disdain put a chill on Gervase's welcome. Now he must establish himself as the new head of the house . . . and ignore his family's rising hostility.

And a resented rival

Then Gervase's eye is caught by a lovely young woman -- the same woman already much in favor with his half brother. Now the brothers face direct competition as they bid for the lady's attentions. But as Gervase struggles to maintain a gentlemanly balance, he begins to find himself the victim of repeatedly cruel accidents. Soon it becomes increasingly clear that someone wants the new Earl of Stanyon dead . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Upon his return from Waterloo, Gervase Frant expected a hero's welcome-instead he's given a frigid cold shoulder. But when he begins to fall for his half-brother's sweetheart, his chilly reception goes from unfriendly to murderous as Gervase finds himself in several life-threatening "accident."… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,159,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible