Typhoon Fury by Clive Cussler

Typhoon Fury

by Clive Cussler

Other authors: Boyd Morrison (Author)

Series: Oregon Files (12)

1941089,688 (4.09)27

mom (216)

This bit of conversation between Hali and Max is funny because it captures how crazy the Corporation's missions get:
"What's going on with Juan?"
"They've run into resistance from the back of the train, but they're taking care of that. He said they've moved onto Plan C."
"Already? I didn't even know we'd tried Plan B. Did he say what Plan C was?"
Hali shrugged. "Sorry." (pg. 64)
Crazy situations and crazier solutions. The villain is evil, frightening, and calm under pressure- though that calmness scarily declines due to the Typhoon drug. The effects of that drug in how it changes the body, takes over lives, and destroys people were frightening.
I liked the introduction of Raven. She is skilled, loyal, determined, and gets along with the crew. She could end up joining the crew, but there was also a bit of chemistry with Juan. I thought Juan has a personal policy of not getting involved with other members of the Corporation? Will she join the crew and that chemistry is ignored? Will she not join the crew for some reason? It will be interesting seeing how that plays out. ( )
  Roxanne_Reading | Mar 10, 2019 |
Love this series. The technology that the Oregon carries never fails to amaze and the highly capable crew is up to any challenge or catastrophe presented to them. It's constant action from start to finish so be prepared. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 21, 2018 |
I enjoy this series but I like the historical aspects the best. The technology and weapons are a little bit above my comprehension sometimes but I do like the characters too. I like the action and adventure scenes but they seem to go on too long and I tend to get bored because of my lack of understanding the technology. I will, however, continue reading the rest of the books and I enjoy the group of people I read them with as the discussions we have are very interesting. ( )
  EadieB | Dec 20, 2018 |
Typhoon fury by Clive Cussler and Boyd Morrison
Starts out in 1945, Philippines island and they must invade the fortress and gain entrance before others do... With the help of Japanese captain they realize Hiroshima could be the next target.
Present day in Vietnam-they take the one with the knowledge of the memory stick with them so he can't notify his buddies.
Back in Phillipines and the order to go full power through the storm...but escort ships have fired on them, killing some.
Like hearing of the chip not detectable by wands implanted into the thigh and of the memory flash that could erase itself if tampered with.
Love hearing of the enhancements to the Oregon=so high tech.
Amazing how all the different stories all lead into one...
So much action, adventure, mystery and war things in one. Would read more from this author as everything is so well described.
  jbarr5 | May 11, 2018 |
A powerful drug left over from the Second World War, but lost, supposedly, because of enemy action, becomes the centre of interest for Juan cabrillo and his adversaries. Most of the action takes place in the Far East, and there is plenty of it. Throw in some long lost stolen paintings and an impetuous lady art historian and you have all the makings for disaster as well as excitement.
As usual Cabrillo does not disappoint - just what else can be hidden in a prosthetic leg? Boyd Morrison may not quite be Jack Du Brul, but the story is well managed and as inventive as anything else that Cussler has come up with. There are some really nasty, and strong, opponents throughout the story, opponents that will stop at nothing to achieve their ends. The prospect of this drug being unleashed upon the world is really not worth contemplating, and the Oregon and her crew are dedicated to preventing that happening.
I would really like to see a mock up of the ship - superficially it would be disgusting to behold (and smell!) but is obviously a veritable Tardis inside - truly amazing.
A darned good read, but one that hooks you and won't let go. If you want creative action, then here it is. ( )
  Alan1946 | Mar 26, 2018 |

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrison, BoydAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039957557X, Hardcover)

Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon sail into a perfect storm of danger to try to stop a new world war, in a thrilling suspense novel from the #1 New York Times-bestselling grand master of adventure.

Hired to search for a collection of paintings worth half a billion dollars, Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon soon find themselves in much deeper waters. The vicious leader of a Filipino insurgency is not only using them to finance his attacks, he has stumbled upon one of the most lethal secrets of World War II: a Japanese-developed drug, designed, but never used, to turn soldiers into super-warriors. To stop him, the Oregon must not only take on the rebel commander, but a South African mercenary intent on getting his own hands on the drug, a massive swarm of torpedo drones targeting the U.S. Navy, an approaching megastorm--and, just possibly, a war that could envelop the entire Asian continent.

"Cussler and Morrison take readers to the edge, at a pace so fast, you may find yourself needing oxygen." --Suspense Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:37:23 -0500)

As they hunt for a bunch of paintings worth a walloping half a billion dollars, Juan Cabrillo and the crew aboard the Oregon chance upon a much bigger problem. A Filipino rebel leader is not only using them to finance the insurgency but has discovered a drug developed yet never used by the Japanese during World War II that makes mega warriors of ordinary soldiers. Not so far-fetched given the revelations of Norman Ohler's recent Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich. "Hired to search for a collection of paintings worth half a billion dollars, Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon soon find themselves in much deeper waters. The vicious leader of a Filipino insurgency is not only using them to finance his attacks, he has stumbled upon one of the most lethal secrets of World War II: a Japanese-developed drug, designed, but never used, to turn soldiers into super-warriors. To stop him, the Oregon must not only take on the rebel commander, but a South African mercenary intent on getting his own hands on the drug, a massive swarm of torpedo drones targeting the U.S. Navy, an approaching megastorm, and, just possibly, a war that could envelop the entire Asian continent"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible