Lord of Chance by Erica Ridley

Lord of Chance

by Erica Ridley

**This book was reviewed via Netgalley**

First in the Rogues to Riches series, Ridley’s Lord of Chance sweeps us back in time, to England's Regency period. Charlotte Devon is a young woman traveling alone through Scotland, searching for her father. All she has for clues are a name, and some family jewels. At the amusingly named Kitty and Cock Inn, Charlotte is allowed to join a gambling table, where the vagaries of fate win her the services of Anthony Fairfax for the night. While he teased otherwise, Anthony is content to serve in the most mundane capacities requested, in this case, serving as a hallboy for the night. He had his own reasons for wagering a night of service. Win or lose, those needs are met.

In the wake of several misunderstandings, when Anthony pretends to be Charlotte's husband in order to protect her from undesirables, the pair find themselves married in truth due to quirks of Scottish law intended to preserve the virtue of maidens from unscrupulous men who might take advantage of them. To compound things, debt collectors have found Anthony, and witnessed his declaration of being married. If he cannot repay his debts, Charlotte's family jewels will be seized towards them, and Anthony will be sent to the infamous Marshalsea prison. Now, as the pair travel back to London, they must get to know one another- both the good sides and the bad, yet both have secrets they are reluctant to reveal to a near stranger. And they dare not consummate this false marriage, despite the growing attraction, or an annulment will not be possible.

This is one of my first forays into romance, a genre I have long avoided. As one who prefers historical fiction, a romance in this genre seemed just the ticket. Regency England is not an era I am familiar with, though it's close enough to eras I do enjoy. Victorian is a big favourite. I loved Ridley's attention to detail, and to language. I did grow somewhat weary of the word 'fashionable’, though. I'm not really sure why. It was appropriate to context.

Reading this got me to thinking that, while romance is considered by many to be 'trite’ and 'shallow’, a romance writer's job is harder in some ways. These stories are more character driven than plot driven. They have to dig deeper in their characters heads. There may also, as in this case, still need to be a lot of research done.

While I occasionally found Charlotte, and Anthony's musings somewhat angsty, I had the realisation that, well, this *is* quite rather how people blather on inside their heads. Where no one can hear, and we argue only with ourselves, we play, and replay, and replay our deepest fears and darkest secrets, turning molehills to mountains with self-criticisms, 'what ifs’, and 'could have beens'. We make assumptions about others and their motivations all the time, and more often than not, when the truth is revealed, we couldn't have been further from it if we had tried. Anthony’s thoughts were so sweet, even when he was being incorrigible. Yet it was Charlotte, with her terribly low self-worth, that I could identify with most. I suffer the same, and it sucks.

This book gave me a greater appreciation for a genre I previously disdained and helped me be more willing to try others in the future. I hope delving into other sub-genres besides historical will lead to the same satisfactory results. I'll certainly be on the lookout for future works by Ridley.

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻 Recommended for those who like historical romance ( )
  PardaMustang | Apr 29, 2017 |
I received a copy for an honest review. I thought Anthony was a bit weak and not very convincing in the storyline and a bit ridiculous. I wish he was more determined and not so much a dandy. Charlotte on the other hand was very believable in her quest to find her father and her experiences. ( )
  FReads | Apr 25, 2017 |
Lord of Chance by Erica Ridley is a most excellent new Regency series. #1 in "Rogues to Riches".

**"The single title 2017 release is an expanded "Author Edition" of the story that first appeared in the Scandal's Daughters anthology."**

Charlotte Devon desperate to leave London and her tattered reputation behind, flees London to Scotland, in hopes of finding her estranged father,. She is hoping his noble blood will finally make her respectable. Anthony Fairfax, a charming rake, with a gambling problem, meets Charlotte, while on vacation. Hoping to find his fortune…and escape his creditors, but he founds himself married to Charlotte instead.

Well written, engaging characters, and the plot is mysterious, enticing and intriguing. A well thought out story of addiction, estrangement, passion, secrets, with laugh out loud moments and romance. Will they be able to leave their past demons behind, find their HEA? Or will all be lost?

A very enjoyable read with characters that will capture your heart and hold you glued to the pages of "Lord of Chance". Anthony and Charotte are definitely flawed characters but they are also lovable and Anthony is redeemable. I can't wait to read Book 2. Strongly recommended. A must read for Regency Romance fans.

Rating: 4.5
Heat rating: Mild
Reviewed by: AprilR ( )
  tarenn | Apr 17, 2017 |
The author's style makes you want to like the characters quickly and lets more than one character have a voice. It was an easy book to read and like all Dickensian novels, hope springs eternal! I have read better books, but this one was more fun than most. Good beach read! ( )
  pa-roots | Apr 15, 2017 |
How far would you go to find peace? Charlotte just has to find her father but she isn't having a good time trying, she has gone from town to town and still nothing. Will she ever find the man or will she need to go back to London?
Anthony needs to win some more money so that he can pay off his gambling debts and just when he thinks that he is got, he loses to a young woman that he invited to join the game. There isn't anything that he can do now but the debt collectors have found him and given him two weeks or else. By accident they land up married and now they are stuck with each other but this isn't what they both want but they don't have a choice yet. Anthony knows that he has to protect Charlotte as they will come for what she has if he can't pay the debt and she is angry as she will never find her father now. Can they work together so that they both get what they want?
A great story of new love, understanding and acceptance. I was lucky enough to receive a copy via the author in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Lillian-Maddocks9389 | Apr 14, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible