The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey

The Rowan (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Anne McCaffrey

Member:aapike
Title:The Rowan
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Ace (1991), Paperback, 336 pages

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey (1990)

A romance novel disguised as science fiction. Part 1 is mostly okay; after that it's fairly nauseating. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
The Rowan was the sole survivor of a mudslide and she was found because she was a strong telepath. When she grew up she used her mental powers to send cargo loads between the inhabited planets. However, her talents also distanced her from ordinary people. Then a voice appeared in her mind and it was that of a male telepath (Jeff Raven) whose planet was threatened. The Rowan helped Jeff to save his planet and then fell in love with him.

It's an excellent story of what could happen if psychic powers really do exist. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 31, 2018 |
Ohhhh goddamnit McCaffrey I just don't know.

So the first like 3/4 of this book is actually surprisingly great and features some really good female characters and The Rowan is powerful and sometimes scary and ... it actually had me going like maybe it is actually possible for McCaffrey to write a good story

and then Rowan falls in love "at first sight" with this powerful stranger telepath dude and like

Okay, actually, I am okay with this, because you just like fused minds with him and so I can get on board with that, it's romantic, you know each other SO WELL now

But then The Rowan turns into this weepy girl-child, she gets all weird and needy

and it turns out he's MORE POWERFUL than her because OF COURSE HE IS otherwise how could he be lovingly protective of her

and then he mind-rapes her SO THAT'S COOL I GUESS

and then there's all this shit about how all she wants to do is make babbies and now she finally feels happy and complete and FEMININE

and dude gets a promotion and is off having an active career while she decides to sort of lay low and be domestic

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ( )
1 vote wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: The Rowan Series: The Tower and the Hive Author: Anne McCaffrey Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 334 Synopsis: Humanity has moved out into space, with help of the Talented. Those special people who have Extra Abilities, whether of the mind or body. The most sought after, the rarest, are the Primes, Talents with multiple abilities and who can transport cargo from planet to planet, system to system. One day, a Prime is discovered, a young child with no memories and no antecedents. She will grow up to become The Rowan, one of the Most Powerful Primes Earth has ever seen. But what she discovers is even greater than her. My Thoughts: I remember reading this when it first came out. It was probably my first SFF book that was as heavy on the romance as it was on the SFF. So that was my memory, but it has been some time so I wanted to re-read this series and get my thoughts in writing. I'd like to start out by saying that I did enjoy this book and will be continuing the series. However, this was a puff piece of girl power and the Perfect Man. Much like the Mack Bolan/Executioner series is a puff piece of Macho'ness. It was fun seeing Rowan grow up. Meeting the heretofore new Prime and finding out about the Alien Menace. And dealing the first decisive blow. I am glad McCaffrey didn't make her characters sit around and debate the ethics of dealing with a real menace. A good solid dray horse of a tale, even if not a racing stallion. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Rowan is an orphaned girl with incredible psychic power and a cute little psychic pet. Oh the pain she suffers from being an orphan! Oh the oppression of being so powerful! Oh the agony of no one understanding your Speshulness! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
La Rowane est à mon sens l'un des meilleurs romans du cycle des Doués. Après les deux premiers, très intéressants mais un peu décousus, on a ici une histoire certes très conventionnelle, mais pleine de fougue, à l'image de son héroïne. C'est de la SF sympathique, très space-opera, typique des années 50/60 ou des Perry Rhodan. A l'inverse des romans suivants qui se diluent un peu, celui-là nous offre de bonnes heures de lecture "détente", légères, avec des personnages proches de nous, comme McCaffrey sait si bien les faire...

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kukalis, RomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stromberg, MikeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

Respectfully dedicated to
Jay A. Katz
because we enjoy a meeting of the minds
(well, most of the time)
Torrents of rain covered the western side of the great Tranh mountain range of Altair, streaming in muddy runnels down slopes already saturated with nine days of steady precipitation.
Carrie lists for The Rowan and Pegasus in Space somehow got mangled together.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441735762, Mass Market Paperback)

The Rowan was destined to become the greatest Prime Talent in human history, facing a lonely existence of servitude. Until she receives a telepathic plea from across the stars from a Prime named Jeff Raven-and falls in love with him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:47 -0400)

The Rowan was one of the strongest Talents ever born, but she was also lonely and without family, friends --or love. Then a telepathic message came from a distant world facing an alien threat, a message sent by an unknown Talent named Jeff Raven, and be it power, danger, or love--the Rowan is about to meet her match.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,502,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible