The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey
Title:The Rowan
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Ace (1991), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, SciFi Fantasy

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey (1990)

The Rowan by Anne McCaffery begins her series on people with paranormal abilities combined with spaceflight. Mankind proves the ability of people to use telekenesis, telepathy, and precognition and then discovers who has those abilities on a systematic basis. Further, mankind creates generators that amplify the ability of these talents. Occasionally a person has such immense ability, they can move an entire spaceship, not only into space, but also to neighboring stars. At the start of the book, there is a small network of "primes", as these special talents are called, linking together Earth, Procyon, Capella, and Altair with passenger and cargo shipments. It is on Altair, that our heroine, the Rowan is born.

The Rowan's growth from a frightened three-year-old who lost her parents in an accident into the full growth of her talent occupies the rest of the book. It covers twenty years of her life and includes the normal growing pains and adult issues.

I like the long scope of the book and the strong characters depicted within it. Some of the minor characters are more caricatures. Some of the dialogue is trite or repetitious--something I just noted while listening to the book on tape. When I first read the book 20+ years ago, I did not notice that then.

I also like the combination of paranormals with space travel--a good idea that has only been executed a few times in the thousands of science fiction books I've read. Perhaps Alfred Bester's book, "The Stars My Destination" did it better.

The book is the first in a series of five books, so be prepared to be hooked.

I give the book three stars. ( )
  jjvors | Jul 9, 2015 |
A natural disaster on Altair has left a three-year-old girl the lone survivor of The Rowan Mining Company’s base camp. When her mental cries reach every telepath on the planet a search for her becomes a race against time. She was trapped in a hopper under a landslide of mud. No food, no water, no comfort and running out of air. The trauma has left her no memory of her previous life, so she becomes a ward of the planet Altair and is known as The Rowan. The Rowan grows up a powerful telepath/telekinetic and it’s inevitable she will become one of the few Primes of FT&T (Federated Telepath & Telekinetic).

Her life is a lonely one until she meets Jeff Raven, a Wild Talent from a far flung colony on Deneb VIII. Together they face the alien invaders pummeling his planet and then they begin a life together. Sounds easy, right? Oh, no…nothing is ever easy for a Prime, let alone two.

Picking up hundreds of years after the original Talents series, The Rowan begins a new era for FT&T. Well-written with a fast pace the story of the Rowan’s life flows by smoothly. An orphan and a powerful T-1 the Rowan is an unusual child and leads an interesting, if lonely, life. I was happy for her when Jeff entered the picture. He’s quite the character and even more of a powerhouse than she is with considerable more charm, too.

I also loved reading about a descendant of Peter Reidinger. Peter Reidinger IV is Earth’s Prime and it’s nice to see the family line continue. Another interesting part of the story is how Deneb is handling the aftermath of the devastation. A new colony only three generations old and they just lost three-fifths of their population and both of their major cities. Deneb is a cash-strapped planet that needs to get it’s major export (minerals) up and running again in order to pay off the colonization debt. It makes me appreciate all of the things I have and how I can just make a run to the store if I need something. All-in-all a great story to get lost in.

*Book source ~ My home library ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 21, 2013 |
I used to love this series when I was younger and it did stand up to re-reading for me.

The Talents are spread out over the Nine Star League using their psionic abilitiies to help things along. Among these abilities there's a lot of variety and power, but there are very few high-powered telepaths, the ones who can help push cargo, and onto a small mining colony one is born. Orphaned at an early age and known as The Rowan she's trained by the Prime on her planet. The first part follows her youth. Her life changes when she comes into contact with another telepath, male and needing her help. She discovers more about herself and her abilities and has to face some of her fears.

I liked it, there were some casually sexist moments in it but it was published in 1990, and the author is of an age where some of that was normal. Still the attitudes have improved from the first book, I do want to continue with this series and see where and how it continues to entertain (I hope) ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 29, 2012 |
This book is good as far as sci-fi novels go. I didn't like how the Rowan's lover just kinda popped up and all the sudden they were in love and everything was mushy and lovey-dovey. That kinda killed it for me, actually. She's also referred to as his wife, but there's never any ceremony. If it wasn't for that, I would have thoroughly enjoyed the book and would probably read all the rest of the books in the series. As it is now, I'm not sure if I want to keep reading the unreal romantic garbage. On the other hand, it isn't writted to be sexy, to the point where the characters will be having sex, and you're wondering if maybe they're just touching hands. Yeah. ( )
  LCoale1 | Feb 10, 2012 |
A fun mix of science fiction and romance novel that I think will remain popular for some time to come.

http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.com/2011/12/rowan-anne-mccaffrey.html ( )
  ElenaGwynne | Dec 14, 2011 |
La Rowane est à mon sens l'un des meilleurs romans du cycle des Doués. Après les deux premiers, très intéressants mais un peu décousus, on a ici une histoire certes très conventionnelle, mais pleine de fougue, à l'image de son héroïne. C'est de la SF sympathique, très space-opera, typique des années 50/60 ou des Perry Rhodan. A l'inverse des romans suivants qui se diluent un peu, celui-là nous offre de bonnes heures de lecture "détente", légères, avec des personnages proches de nous, comme McCaffrey sait si bien les faire...

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kukalis, RomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

Respectfully dedicated to
Jay A. Katz
because we enjoy a meeting of the minds
(well, most of the time)
Torrents of rain covered the western side of the great Tranh mountain range of Altair, streaming in muddy runnels down slopes already saturated with nine days of steady precipitation.
Carrie lists for The Rowan and Pegasus in Space somehow got mangled together.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441735762, Mass Market Paperback)

The Rowan was destined to become the greatest Prime Talent in human history, facing a lonely existence of servitude. Until she receives a telepathic plea from across the stars from a Prime named Jeff Raven-and falls in love with him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:47 -0400)

The Rowan was one of the strongest Talents ever born, but she was also lonely and without family, friends --or love. Then a telepathic message came from a distant world facing an alien threat, a message sent by an unknown Talent named Jeff Raven, and be it power, danger, or love--the Rowan is about to meet her match.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible