The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey

The Rowan (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Anne McCaffrey

Member:fuzzi
Title:The Rowan
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Ace (1991), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, SciFi Fantasy
Rating:***1/2

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey (1990)

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: The Rowan Series: The Tower and the Hive Author: Anne McCaffrey Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 334 Synopsis: Humanity has moved out into space, with help of the Talented. Those special people who have Extra Abilities, whether of the mind or body. The most sought after, the rarest, are the Primes, Talents with multiple abilities and who can transport cargo from planet to planet, system to system. One day, a Prime is discovered, a young child with no memories and no antecedents. She will grow up to become The Rowan, one of the Most Powerful Primes Earth has ever seen. But what she discovers is even greater than her. My Thoughts: I remember reading this when it first came out. It was probably my first SFF book that was as heavy on the romance as it was on the SFF. So that was my memory, but it has been some time so I wanted to re-read this series and get my thoughts in writing. I'd like to start out by saying that I did enjoy this book and will be continuing the series. However, this was a puff piece of girl power and the Perfect Man. Much like the Mack Bolan/Executioner series is a puff piece of Macho'ness. It was fun seeing Rowan grow up. Meeting the heretofore new Prime and finding out about the Alien Menace. And dealing the first decisive blow. I am glad McCaffrey didn't make her characters sit around and debate the ethics of dealing with a real menace. A good solid dray horse of a tale, even if not a racing stallion. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The Rowan is an orphaned girl with incredible psychic power and a cute little psychic pet. Oh the pain she suffers from being an orphan! Oh the oppression of being so powerful! Oh the agony of no one understanding your Speshulness! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
McCaffrey has soul. Her characters always realize they're incomplete - and find ways to become more complete. The angst always makes me cry. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
The Rowan by Anne McCaffery begins her series on people with paranormal abilities combined with spaceflight. Mankind proves the ability of people to use telekenesis, telepathy, and precognition and then discovers who has those abilities on a systematic basis. Further, mankind creates generators that amplify the ability of these talents. Occasionally a person has such immense ability, they can move an entire spaceship, not only into space, but also to neighboring stars. At the start of the book, there is a small network of "primes", as these special talents are called, linking together Earth, Procyon, Capella, and Altair with passenger and cargo shipments. It is on Altair, that our heroine, the Rowan is born.

The Rowan's growth from a frightened three-year-old who lost her parents in an accident into the full growth of her talent occupies the rest of the book. It covers twenty years of her life and includes the normal growing pains and adult issues.

I like the long scope of the book and the strong characters depicted within it. Some of the minor characters are more caricatures. Some of the dialogue is trite or repetitious--something I just noted while listening to the book on tape. When I first read the book 20+ years ago, I did not notice that then.

I also like the combination of paranormals with space travel--a good idea that has only been executed a few times in the thousands of science fiction books I've read. Perhaps Alfred Bester's book, "The Stars My Destination" did it better.

The book is the first in a series of five books, so be prepared to be hooked.

I give the book three stars. ( )
  jjvors | Jul 9, 2015 |
A natural disaster on Altair has left a three-year-old girl the lone survivor of The Rowan Mining Company’s base camp. When her mental cries reach every telepath on the planet a search for her becomes a race against time. She was trapped in a hopper under a landslide of mud. No food, no water, no comfort and running out of air. The trauma has left her no memory of her previous life, so she becomes a ward of the planet Altair and is known as The Rowan. The Rowan grows up a powerful telepath/telekinetic and it’s inevitable she will become one of the few Primes of FT&T (Federated Telepath & Telekinetic).

Her life is a lonely one until she meets Jeff Raven, a Wild Talent from a far flung colony on Deneb VIII. Together they face the alien invaders pummeling his planet and then they begin a life together. Sounds easy, right? Oh, no…nothing is ever easy for a Prime, let alone two.

Picking up hundreds of years after the original Talents series, The Rowan begins a new era for FT&T. Well-written with a fast pace the story of the Rowan’s life flows by smoothly. An orphan and a powerful T-1 the Rowan is an unusual child and leads an interesting, if lonely, life. I was happy for her when Jeff entered the picture. He’s quite the character and even more of a powerhouse than she is with considerable more charm, too.

I also loved reading about a descendant of Peter Reidinger. Peter Reidinger IV is Earth’s Prime and it’s nice to see the family line continue. Another interesting part of the story is how Deneb is handling the aftermath of the devastation. A new colony only three generations old and they just lost three-fifths of their population and both of their major cities. Deneb is a cash-strapped planet that needs to get it’s major export (minerals) up and running again in order to pay off the colonization debt. It makes me appreciate all of the things I have and how I can just make a run to the store if I need something. All-in-all a great story to get lost in.

*Book source ~ My home library ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 21, 2013 |
La Rowane est à mon sens l'un des meilleurs romans du cycle des Doués. Après les deux premiers, très intéressants mais un peu décousus, on a ici une histoire certes très conventionnelle, mais pleine de fougue, à l'image de son héroïne. C'est de la SF sympathique, très space-opera, typique des années 50/60 ou des Perry Rhodan. A l'inverse des romans suivants qui se diluent un peu, celui-là nous offre de bonnes heures de lecture "détente", légères, avec des personnages proches de nous, comme McCaffrey sait si bien les faire...

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kukalis, RomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stromberg, MikeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is an expanded version of

Respectfully dedicated to
Jay A. Katz
because we enjoy a meeting of the minds
(well, most of the time)
Torrents of rain covered the western side of the great Tranh mountain range of Altair, streaming in muddy runnels down slopes already saturated with nine days of steady precipitation.
Carrie lists for The Rowan and Pegasus in Space somehow got mangled together.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441735762, Mass Market Paperback)

The Rowan was destined to become the greatest Prime Talent in human history, facing a lonely existence of servitude. Until she receives a telepathic plea from across the stars from a Prime named Jeff Raven-and falls in love with him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:47 -0400)

The Rowan was one of the strongest Talents ever born, but she was also lonely and without family, friends --or love. Then a telepathic message came from a distant world facing an alien threat, a message sent by an unknown Talent named Jeff Raven, and be it power, danger, or love--the Rowan is about to meet her match.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible