The Ship Who Sang The Ship Who Sang by Anne…

The Ship Who Sang The Ship Who Sang (original 1969; edition 1993)

by Anne McCaffrey (Author)

Member:mfagan
Title:The Ship Who Sang The Ship Who Sang
Authors:Anne McCaffrey (Author)
Info:Random House (1993), 248 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (1969)

Recently added byrena75, eldorz, Smok112500, private library, KimMcNamara

English (21)  Dutch (2)  All languages (23)
This novel is actually a collection of five short stories, written between 1961 and 1969, strung together into a coherent single narrative. Although slightly choppy to read due to that, it does come together in the end, with each single episode contributing something the ending that matters.

This book also begins the series, some written by McCaffrey.

As for the story itself, it is excellent speculative fiction. What if the minds of people with severe physical disabilities could be taken from the body and put into computers, or in Helva’s case, into a space ship. How would those very real human emotions withstand a life so outside human experience?

Intriguing, with fast-paced plot, complex characters, and a balance between action and thought, this book is classic sci-fi at its best. At the center is Helva’s search for a true partner, her “Brawn” and what that means to a mind encased in a rocket ship – where walking on a planet is impossible but hurtling through the stars is the norm.

For anyone who enjoy solid sci-fi, this is a must read. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 14, 2018 |
After having read the Crystal Singer series, I decided I wanted to read more about the Brain Ships. I wasn't disappointed. I borrowed the whole set from the library one after the other. I wished there were more. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Dated but entertaining. Will I read the other two in this series? Not sure. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The first few chapters of this book did not encourage me to read the rest, but I hate to give up on any story, especially by an author I generally like...so I persevered and finished it last night. McCaffrey fans may enjoy it. I have no plans to reread or continue the series. Not one of McCaffrey's better stories, imo. ( )
  fuzzi | Jul 9, 2015 |
I cannot remember the first time I read this book and this series, but I ENVY Helva! I mean, SERIOUSLY, who would not want to be a BrainShip with a titanium hull?

Oh yes, I recognized the downsides. It "objectivizes people with disabilities," or some such. It is "Gnosticism 101," completely separating body and… Spirit? Soul?

Anne McCaffery is a novelist, not a theologian. She was one of the first novelists that I read that had a WOMAN with a disability as a first rate Hero. I enjoyed it the first time I've read it, and every time since. When I have graduated, I may make time to read it again. ( )
1 vote WorthyWoman | Jul 23, 2014 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Biffignandi,Alessand…Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of the Colonel, my father
GEORGE HERBERT MCCAFFREY
citizen, soldier, patriot
for whom the ship first sang
She was born a thing and as such would be condemned if she failed to pass the encephalograph test required of all newborn babies.

HELVA HAD BEEN BORN HUMAN

.... but only her brain had been saved - saved to be schooled, programmed, and implanted in the sleek titanium body of an intergalatic scout ship.
But first she had to choose a human partner - male or female - to share her exhilarating escapades in space!

Her life was to be rich and rewarding ... resplendent with daring adventures and endless excitement, beyond the wildest dreams of mere mortals.
Gifted with the voice of an angel and being virtually indestructible, Helva XH-834 anticipated a sublime immortality.

Then one day she fell in love

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345334310, Mass Market Paperback)

Helva had been born human, but only her brain had been saved and implanted into the titanium body of an intergalactic scout ship. But first she had to choose a human partner, to soar with her through the daring adventures and exhilarating escapades in space.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:00 -0400)

Helva had been born human, but only her brain had been saved and implanted into the titanium body of an intergalactic scout ship. But first she had to choose a human partner--male or female--to share her exhilarating escapades in space. Her life was to be rich and rewarding, resplendent with daring adventures and endless excitement, beyond the wildest dreams of mere mortals. Gifted with the voice of an angel and being virtually indestructible, Helva XH-834 anticipated a sublime immortality. Then one day she fell in love!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,869,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible