Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by…

Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions (edition 2003)

by Daniel Wallace (Author)

Now that his father is dying, William Bloom realizes he hardly knows him, but the father is more interested in evading his questions than answering them. So Bloom reconstructs his father's life with a series of heroic tales and in the process gets to know him.
Member:benkroll
Title:Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions
Authors:Daniel Wallace (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2003), Edition: Reissue, 208 pages
Collections:Prose - Short Stories

Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (msouliere)
    Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For infuriating fathers.
    Ray in Reverse by Daniel Wallace (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Considered second in the trilogy that is Big Fish, Ray in Reverse and Watermelon King.

English (54)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (56)
Full Review

“You’re not necessarily supposed to believe it…You’re just supposed to believe in it.”
― Daniel Wallace, Big Fish

This story is many things: funny, sorrowful, and sweet to name a few. As little kids we all look up to our parents as are heroes and want to be them when grow up. The stories they told us about their own childhood is often mythized. It not until we are adults ourselves do; we see them eye to eye as a human being.

This is the overall theme of the book. The story is heavily narrator driven and has a southern tone to it. I would like there to be a little more with some of the stories. Like the one about the giant and the one about the old lady with the glass eye. The whole story is about Edward Bloom and so all the other characters are push to the background. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Full Review

― Daniel Wallace, Big Fish

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
This was such a sweet book in so many ways. First, it immediately called to mind a favorite childhood book of mine, [b:Tall Tales of America|7543710|Tall Tales of America|Irwin Shapiro|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|9820416]. Yup, Wallace has written a novel jam packed full of one tall tale after another. And the jokes - oh my! But in and around all of that is a son's love for his dying father. I lost my own mother just this past Thanksgiving, so that is still freshly raw, and I found comfort in "Big Fish." ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Mar 18, 2020 |
I was thinking of movies that I have loved and wondered what ones might have been inspired by books that I was unaware of. I quickly thought of Big Fish and decided to listen to it.

If you are unfamiliar with this book, it is basically a tall tale. The film was full of whimsy; it followed the book very well. I have enjoyed both. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 4, 2020 |
I loved the movie so had to read the book when I saw it at the library but was very disappointed. I didn't like the father at all and I found the writing very sparse. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

For my mother
~
In memory of my father
On one of our last car trips, near the end of my father's life as a man, we stopped by a river, and we took a walk to its banks, where we sat in the shade of an old oak tree.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,490,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible