A Ruckus of Awkward Stacking

by Matt Robinson

512,385,179 (3)None
This book is about memory -- memory as a poetic form through which refractions of loss, recovery, discovery and identity form an imaginative reshaping of the past. In raw brushstrokes, Robinson records the slow cascade of events and characters slipping through the thin membrane of experience, shaping our histories. At the same time, he experiments with style and form in a wonderfully sinuous writing. With this, his first book, Robinson makes a staggering debut on the North American literary stage.… (more)

This was my first read of poet Matt Robinson so I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I found pleasantly surprised me. Some wonderful pieces of poetry by a young Canadian poet.

Having just finished reading the novel The Language of Flowers, the first poem in the series A Ruckus of Awkard Stackings caught my attention immediately by speaking my language. This poem is poetically beautiful and I have to say after reading through the whole book it remains one of my favorite. The poems Matt wrote for his mother are heartfelt and honest. I was especially moved by 'at the funeral home', 'new gravestone in winter', and 'burial'. They brought back the memories of my father’s passing.

from 'october,once removed'

for a year.and it seems i’ve entered that
noisy stage of grief-the kind that creaks and
strains at night in this snap october cold
with the tension of metaphor’s gravel that crunches
and sticks to the bottom of a shoe, consciously

Mr. Robinson’s poetry appeals to my senses. I look forward to reading more of his work. These poems are worth reading. ( )
  Christine_Gail | Feb 28, 2013 |
For
my family and friends,
especially my mother;
for Marissa
when speech fails we learn
to communicate in
a syntax of bloom and
stem-length inflections.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,890,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible