The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World by…

The Stainless Steel Rat Saves the World (1972)

by Harry Harrison

English (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (5)
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Slippery Jim DiGriz is back. Back in time, that is. The evil villain who calls himself “He” has been using time travel to try to rid the world of the Special Corp (including Jim and Angelina) by eliminating them before they were even born. As his world is quickly fading in front of his eyes, Jim jumps back to a planet called “Dirt” (that’s Earth) in their year 1975 so he can kill He before He can work His evil plan. Before the adventure is over, Jim ends up fighting He-possessed Napoleon Bonaparte who has occupied London (the history is a little different in He’s time warp).

Don’t worry about the mind-boggling impossibilities and plot holes here — just go along for the ride and, if you can, do it in audio. I don’t know how the Stainless Steel Rat books come across in print, but in audio format, with their quick pace (less than 5 hours) and Phil Gigante’s wonderful voices, they’re immensely entertaining. In this installment, Mr. Gigante gets to show off a few more of his brilliant accents. This time it’s British, French, and Gangsta. Even when the plot gets a little slow for a few minutes, Gigante carries it along with his fabulous narration. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I thought this was quite weak -- certainly the weakest Stainless Steel Rat book. It was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't read any of the others first. Frankly the time travel premise is hard to believe, and the resolution at the end of the story is a total non-resolution.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Harry_Harrison/The_Stainless_Steel_Rat_Saves_The_Wor... ( )
  mikal | Nov 15, 2008 |
While this is not my favourite Stainless Steel Rat book (that is still The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You) , I enjoyed the way time travel was dealt with in this book, and I loved the depiction of Earth, 1984, and how casually Jimmy di Griz deals with security systems then. I'd also love it if memorygrams were real.

If I enjoyed the 1984 parts then there are no words for how much I enjoyed the Napoleonic bits. While I like the alternate reality idea, I love the way it's played out, the reasonable and rampant paranoia of the English and how they're good guys but still veneal.

I think the Count and his artillery master were my favourite characters, although the Martians and Angelina came close. Professor Coypu is such a fantastic mad professor that it's hard not to like him.

Jimmy di Griz is his usual dry and laconic self, if not quite as much fun as he is in 'Stainless Steel Rat Wants You'.

I enjoyed this a lot. ( )
1 vote redfiona | Dec 23, 2007 |
This was not as good as the previous two books in the series. Another adventure for him, a strange antagonist, and some time travelling that seemed a bit out of place. France? Jim has to stop people messing around with time.

Anyway, it is ok, but there are definitely better books in this series.

http://superprose.blogspot.com/2007/01/stainless-steel-rat-03-stainless-steel.ht... ( )
  bluetyson | Jan 15, 2007 |

Harry Harrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gigante, PhilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You are a crook, James Bolivar diGraz," Inskipp said, making animal noises deep in his throat while shaking the sheaf of papers viciously in my direction.

A master criminal from the far future, He is attempting to extinguish the Special Corps from its timeline. The Stainless Steel Rat travels to Earth, 1975, and then to Napoleonic France, to stop He from destroying the timeline - but discovers that his own actions might have brought He into being!

The villainous He has travelled back in time to mankind's distant past on the legendary planet Earth (or 'Dirt') of 1984, where he is altering events so that people who opposed him in the Rat's present cease to exist, Angelina amongst them. Using the Helix, a time-travel device invented by the Special Corps' Professor Coypu, diGriz travels to 1984 America, and then to Napoleonic France where tanks and aircraft are helping bring about Napoleon's victory.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,239,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible