The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter…

The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (Riyria Chronicles) (edition 2018)

by Michael J. Sullivan (Author)

Member:elliotss10
Title:The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter (Riyria Chronicles)
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan (Author)
Info:Riyria Enterprises (2018), 480 pages

The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter by Michael J. Sullivan

Gabriel Winteri is a wealthy whisky baron whose daughter has turned up missing. Convinced that the man she married only married her for her money, he hires Royce and Hardin to find her if She is still alive. Convince that she is dead, Gabriel Winter hires the two to wreck revenge on those who played any part in her murder. The job seems simple enough. If she’s alive, bring her home. If she’s dead, punish those responsible. Once in Rochelle, they discover there is something sinister going on. (A little didactic... too many ch “telling” of the views Royce and Hardin have about life and their opposite philosophies. ( )
  creighley | Nov 1, 2018 |
The Disappearance of Winter’s Daughter is the fourth book in The Riyria Chronicles but is a prequel to all that takes place in The Riyria Revelations. I would absolutely suggest that you read these series in order starting with The Riyria Chronicles. Royce and Hadrian are hands down my favorite duo of all time. I love every single story that they are in. Their combination of cynicism and optimism is utterly enjoyable. Whenever I read a story from either of these series it is like meeting up with old friends. I just adore these characters!

Hadrian and Royce are rogues for hire known as Riyria. They started a business doing what they do best and have been pretty successful at it. This time they are hired by Gabriel Winter to find those responsible for his daughter’s disappearance and once found are to proceed with bringing on some vigilante justice, Royce style. Hadrian though, being the optimist that he is, feels like maybe Gabriel’s daughter, the Duchess, has only gone missing and wants to search for her first before administering any justice. Once they arrive in Rochelle though things take an interesting twist, leaving Royce and Hadrian with a mystery to unravel regarding the disappearance of Winter’s daughter.

The Disappearance of Winter’s Daughter was an adventurous story that was an absolute joy to read. There was even mention of unicorns and who doesn’t love a story that discusses unicorns? Only it is not what you think and when you read it you will really appreciate the mention. I wish that there had been more action for Hadrian though, because those scenes are always fantastic but nevertheless I loved this story. The Disappearance of Winter’s Daughter added an additional layer of interest to both Royce and Hadrian and it was an immensely satisfying read. I highly recommend this series to all readers, you will not be disappointedin the least. Such a great read! ( )
  TheGenreMinx | May 9, 2018 |

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 344
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

Royce and Hadrian are hired to avenger the death of Genevieve Hargrave who is the daughter of Gabriel Winter, a rich merchant. She married Leopold Hargrave, the Duke of Rochelle and Winter is convinced that Leopold married her for her dowry and then murdered her. But no body has been recovered. So Winter wants the duo to find out what happened to her and then avenge her death with a fountain of blood, a fountain he is willing to pay for with everything from his coffers.

Once the duo reaches Rochelle, things don't quite add up. At the same time the head of the Church of Novron is calling for a new King and every noble must be present to be in the running. This leads into Church politic'ing and a desire for revenge by a Mir, a half-human, half-elf named Villar.

Villar wants to murder all the nobles, take over the city of Rochelle and make it the capital of a new Mir city-state. What looks impossible isn't so when it is revealed that he has the help of dwarves who can bring stone golems to life.

All this time Genny is alive and held captive by a faction of the Mir who just want equal rights in the town and a peaceful resolution to everything.

Everybody collides in a finale of bloody death but thankfully Hadrian and Royce rescue Genny, she is reunited with her husband who really does love her and events are set in motion that will have repercussions in the Riyria Revelations series.

My Thoughts:

Most Important!

This ebook says it has an ISBN of 978194336317 but if you can count, that is only 12 numbers. The hardcover I got through the Kickstarter has the correct isbn listed as 9781943363117. Goodreads still has it wrong. Business as usual for that place!
/End Important

I really enjoyed this read. The banter, the danger, the mystery. It all came together just like every other Riyria book has. There is a flavor, a tone, to the these books and Sullivan keeps it unique and never strays from it. I like that.

I also liked that we didn't have to wait until the end to know if Genny was alive or dead. She had her POV almost from the beginning and while it lessened that particular mystery, it simply increased the tension on other parts as I tried to figure out WHAT was going on and who was motivated by what.

I tore through this in about a day and a half. Kind of sad since I had been waiting 2 years since Death of Dulgath but hey, I'm not going to waste time artificially stretching my read out. I paid my money and I'm going to get my enjoyment Right Now!

Now that I've read this, I kind of want to re-read all 6 Riyria Revelations books and the previous 3 Riyria Chronicles books. Just to get a fuller picture. Also, to see how Sullivan's writing has progressed. Well, maybe in a year or two. Honestly, I'd really like to wait until there are 6 Chronicles books to balance the Revelations books and then have a go. But since Sullivan is independently releasing these through Kickstarters and he has contractual obligations for other books, I doubt that will happen any time soon.

★★★★☆ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 23, 2017 |

When Gabriel Winter's daughter mysteriously disappears and is presumed dead, the wealthy whiskey baron seeks revenge. Having lived in Colnora during the infamous Year of Fear, he hires the one man he knows can deliver a bloody retribution - the notorious Duster.

Ride with Royce and Hadrian as the cynical ex-assassin and idealistic ex-mercenary travel to a mysterious old-world city filled with nobles claiming descent from imperial aristocracy. Riyria's job appears easy: discover what happened to the missing duchess and, if she lives, bring her home . . . if not, punish those responsible. But nothing is simple in the crowded, narrow, mist-filled streets of Rochelle, where more than one ancient legend lurks.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible