Writers of the Future Vol 33 (L. Ron Hubbard…

Writers of the Future Vol 33 (L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the…

by L. Ron Hubbard

Writes of the Future Vol.33 Review edited by David Farland

The plot lines are almost new and yet ineffectively quirky. Over and again the stories aim in interesting directions, only to twist themselves into knots while trying for unique endings that don't quite make sense to me. Consistently, these tales promise something: an interesting plot, a novel concept, an intriguing angle, a tightly crafted lesson; and then they "trip" and "stumble" their way to their endings.

My take-away is that these new writers have potential and will probably improve with practice: not bad, just not yet great.

A note on the illustrators---color is way better than black and white. There are potential Kelly Freases and Jack Gaughans here. ( )
  majackson | Jul 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a science fiction fan it's tough to not feel dirty reading anything with L. Ron's name on the cover, but this anthology is as serviceable as any other. Like any anthology there are some good stories and some not so good. The odd thing is that there are some stories from established writers (like L. Ron) included as well. The essays with writing advice I could see, but giving up page space for someone who already is a Writer of the Future just seems like an odd choice. ( )
  renfield1969 | Jul 6, 2017 |
Writers of the Future: Volume 33 by Anne McCaffrey, David Farland (Editor) is a good collection of stories. Most authors had a story of their experiences of writing before their fiction story. My favorite story was that of Doug C Souza. All the stories was pretty good. I was given this book to read and the review is voluntary. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jul 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Short story compilations: great for when you want a few minutes' reading, not so great for exploring new worlds. I used to read a lot of SF, so it was fun to revisit that way of reading. This collection strikes me as good—diverting while reading—but there's nothing really sticking with me afterward. It's nice to see new authors getting attention, and some of these will probably do well in longer-form works. Overall, not a bad choice for a trip or to leave in a place where people want to read something short. ( )
  ngilliatt | Jun 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’ve read an enormous amount of science fiction over the years, so was happy to receive this collection of short stories free of charge in exchange for this review.

As this is volume 33 of a series, it has apparently been around for quite some time, and being connected with L. Ron Hubbard speaks to its longevity. The individual stories are all composed by authors who have never been published, and were selected by a panel of science fiction and fantasy writers. Interspersed throughout are several short essays from well-regarded authors and illustrators, giving advice on how to succeed in the business.

As you might suspect, the stories range from very good to very not so good. A couple were excellent, but overall the collection is average at best. The illustrations are definitely nothing to write home about. Though it promises science fiction and fantasy, there is VERY LITTLE science fiction and is almost exclusively fantasy, not my favorite genre. ( )
  santhony | Jun 26, 2017 |
The book, Writers of the Future Vol 33 is quite interesting! Many authors have played a part in creating this book, which is pretty neat. It's actually has a bunch of excellent and well-written stories in one book. There are a few images, which are like real artwork when you do see them while reading along. I think my favorite thing about this 400-page book is that it's got so many different stories to read, something to pick out and read one every day or whenever I want to read something new. Plus, for a book, what really caught my attention was the front cover, very nicely designed and the art is perfect! It actually works with the stories inside, even for each being an entirely different tale!

I honestly haven't read all of them quite yet! However, the one story that caught my attention, possibly the animals in the title drew me in more. No matter what it might have been, but the story The Fox, the Wolf and the Dove by Ville Meriläine and illustration by David Furnal just seems to call out to me! I read a little bit and notice that the 3 sisters that are the main characters of this tale have plant names as Lily, Rose, and Ivy. These girls all of the different ages from young to older adventuring out together and a story or fable that closely followed their adventure was of The Fox, the Wolf, and the Dove. This is where the title plays it's part, based upon what the girls are doing and who represents each. It's like a fable that is told about the three animals and what each represents. However, I am still going to have to read it, just got a little glimpse of the story, while checking out how many other wonderful stories are inside.

Finally, I think what I've read in a few is that they are very well written and uses words that grab you and make you interested to read more. You almost feel part of the action and adventure. Plus, the idea of what they author is describing is very much something you feel can be visual in your mind while reading. Such a wonderful book, which I'm gonna start reading soon!
added by natosha120 | editBlogger, Natosha Miller (Apr 18, 2017)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

L. Ron Hubbard's book Writers of the Future Volume 33 is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible