Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848)

by Anne Brontë

5,9641501,224 (3.94)3 / 522
Anne Bronte's second novel is a passionate and courageous challenge to the conventions supposedly upheld by Victorian society and reflected in circulating-library fiction. The heroine, Helen Huntingdon, after a short period of initial happiness, leaves her dissolute husband, and must earn her own living to rescue her son from his influence. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is compelling in its imaginative power, the realism and range of its dialogue, and its psychological insight into the characters involved in a marital battle.… (more)
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (amerynth)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    The Brontës: Wild Genius on the Moors by Juliet Barker (amerynth)
    amerynth: Great biography of the Bronte sisters and their brother Branwell
    The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (TheLittlePhrase)
    Middlemarch by George Eliot (amanda4242)
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: A self-righteous heroine leaves the place where she lived for many years, gets wrongly accused of "immoral behavior", has strong Christian views, and so on.
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both novels feature a strong female protagonist trapped in an abusive marriage. Endings are also pretty similar.
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Both novels start with the arrival of a new person in small rural community... Anne Bronte's style is often compared to Austen's.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (susanbooks)
    A Jury of Her Peers by Susan Glaspell (TheLittlePhrase)
    Trifles by Susan Glaspell (TheLittlePhrase)
    The Victim of Prejudice by Mary Hays (holly_golightly)
    The Man of Property by John Galsworthy (TheLittlePhrase)

English (145)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (149)
This book is so adorably, painfully, frustratingly Hufflepuff. The good folks at The Toast knew what they were about when they sorted Anne Bronte into that esteemed Hogwarts House. This is an interesting book with sporadic plotting and framing, but a worthwhile read, nonetheless. I would definitely choose to spend class time on this over Wuthering Heights ANY DAY. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Nov 29, 2020 |
Read 142 pages and quit.
  GreatBookStudy | Nov 10, 2020 |
I saw the movie a while ago and liked it, but now I assume that it left out a lot of the meat of this book. It's my usual enjoyment of brit lit, with nice balance of darkness but less of the crazy-lady-in-the-attic Bronte weirdness. ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Do I love Helen? Yes.
Do I think no man in this novel is worthy of her? Yes.
Should Helen just hook up with Millicent and be badass together? Totally.
Of everything in the novel, I could not believe that Helen Graham, brave and stoic as she was, would fall for the passionate and incredible rude Gilbert. He friggin' throws someone off his horse!

Of course I'm happy if she's happy, but the end feels as a quick tie-up, a needed happy ending. I think I'd be far happier if the final chapter would be another one from Helen, to give us her introspective if this union gives her more happiness. ( )
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
I was surprised by how heavy this book is on theology and moral didactics (perhaps I would be less surprised if I were more versed in the Brontes). But it's a very readable and striking story. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
"profane expressions, inconceivably coarse language, and revolting scenes and descriptions by which its pages are disfigured"
added by GYKM | editSharpe's London Magazine

"a morbid love for the coarse, not to say the brutal"
added by GYKM | editSpectator

"The reader of Acton Bell gains no enlarged view of mankind, giving a healthy action to his sympathies, but is confined to a narrow space of life, and held down, as it were, by main force, to witness the wolfish side of his nature literally and logically set forth."
added by GYKM | editNorth American Review

[English] society owes thanks, not sneers, to those who dare to shew her the image of her own ugly, hypocritical visage".

"...like the fatal melody of the siren's song, its very perfections render it more dangerous, and therefore more carefully to be avoided."

Brontë, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ward, Mrs. HumphryIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, KathrynAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J. Halford, Esq.

Dear Halford,

When we were together last, you gave me a very particular and interesting account of the most remarkable occurrences of your early life, previous to our acquaintance; and then you requested a return of confidence from me.

A woman recounts her difficult marriage to an alcoholic and her battles with society's double standards when she leaves him, taking her son with her.
Helen Huntingdon flees a disastrous marriage and retreats to the desolate, half-ruined moorland mansion, Wildfell Hall. With her small son, Arthur, she adopts an assumed name and makes her living as a painter. The inconvenience of the house is outweighed by the fact that she and Arthur are removed from her drunken, degenerate husband.

Although the house is isolated, she seeks to avoid the attentions of the neighbors. However, it is difficult to do so. All too soon she becomes an object of speculation, then cruel gossip.

Narrated by her neighbor Gilbert Markham, and from the pages of her own diary, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall portrays Helen's struggle for independence in a time when law and society defined a married woman as her husband's property.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434747, 0141035633, 0141199350

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,664,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible