The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Penguin English…

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Penguin English Library) (original 1848; edition 2012)

by Anne Brontë

4,4731011,094 (3.94)2 / 338
Member:Heaven-Ali
Title:The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Penguin English Library)
Authors:Anne Brontë
Info:Penguin Classics (2012), Paperback, 560 pages

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (1848)

English (98)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (101)
If this really was Anne's way of processing her brother's behavior...she should have privately journaled. Everything from behavior to emotion to prose is overblown. I'll stick to rereading Jane Eyre. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 20, 2016 |
Anne Bronte is probably the least prominent of the three Bronte sisters, with this book and her other novel Agnes Grey not having achieved the same fame as Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Emily's Wuthering Heights. But in terms of quality, I think this deserves to be ranked alongside those two masterpieces of early 19th century literature. The central narrative of the story revolves around speculation about the identity of the eponymous occupant of the local hall, with a substantial middle section of the book revealing her true identity and her dramatic failed marriage, an account which strikes many parallels with failed marriages of more recent times in the basic patterns and themes. Probably the most interesting aspect of the book for me was how successful the author is in portraying convincingly both the male authorial voice of the framework narrative in the first and final parts of the book, farmer Gilbert Markham, and the female much more aristocratic voice of Mrs Graham and her real identity in the middle part. Bronte switches gender register and ways of looking at the world in a seemingly effortless way between these sections, which is rare even now, and even rarer in the mid-19th century. A great read, though the very ending was perhaps slightly too drawn out. ( )
  john257hopper | Apr 13, 2016 |
The tale of one foolish young man's growing love for the eponymous tenant, a widow with a child and a very solemn disposition. The main character is a foolish prig and his beloved is little better; if we could average out their bloodless piety with Wuthering Heights's overwrought passions, perhaps we'd reach a happy medium. That Helen's husband had been a brute is unquestionable, but read what she thinks about him: "And I had been looking forward to this season with the fond, delusive hope that we should enjoy it so sweetly together; and that, with God's help and my exertions, it would be the means of elevating his mind, and refining his taste to a due appreciation of the salutary and pure delights of nature, and peace, and holy love." Oh noes, he doesn't want to "refine" his tastes in "due appreciation of...holy love." I uh, don't blame him. Tangentially, here's a passage that amused me greatly, in which Gilbert writes of Helen's brother Mr. Lawrence, "...the increasing pleasure I found in his society--partly from his increased cordiality to me, but chiefly on account of his close connection, both in blood and in affection, with my adored Helen. I loved him for it better than I liked to express; and I took a secret delight in pressing those slender white fingers, so marvelously like her own, considering he was not a woman, and in watching the passing changes in his fair pale features, and observing the intonations of his voice, detecting resemblances which I wondered had never struck me before." Hee! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
The bad people are all horrible and the pious people are all saintly. No one is even remotely in the grey-area. Mr Hargrave seems to get a bit of a personality transplant halfway through. Helen is almost insufferable. Her aunt gets proved right, despite having a despicable (even for the time) attitude towards her niece. Anne can't pull off the pious heroine in the same way that Charlotte did in Villette, she just makes her horrendous. And who the fuck is Gilbert, anyway? He's so boring as to be utterly lacking in impact.

The writing was pretty good, though. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

The writing was pretty good, though. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
"profane expressions, inconceivably coarse language, and revolting scenes and descriptions by which its pages are disfigured"
added by GYKM | editSharpe's London Magazine

"a morbid love for the coarse, not to say the brutal"
added by GYKM | editSpectator

"The reader of Acton Bell gains no enlarged view of mankind, giving a healthy action to his sympathies, but is confined to a narrow space of life, and held down, as it were, by main force, to witness the wolfish side of his nature literally and logically set forth."
added by GYKM | editNorth American Review

Brontë, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Agutter, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jennings, AlexNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosengarten, HerbertEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephens, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Mrs. HumphryIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must go back with me to the autumn of 1827.

A woman recounts her difficult marriage to an alcoholic and her battles with society's double standards when she leaves him, taking her son with her.

"I no longer love my husband – I HATE him! The word stares at me in the face like a guilty confession"

Gilbert Markham is deeply intrigued by Helen Graham, a beautiful and secretive young woman who has moved into nearby Wildfell Hall with her young son. He is quick to offer Helen his friendship, but when her reclusive behaviour becomes the subject of local gossip and speculation, Gilbert begins to wonder whether his trust in her has been misplaced. It is only when she allows Gilbert to read her diary that the truth is revealed and the shocking details of the disastrous marriage she has left behind emerge. Told with great immediacy, combined with wit and irony, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a powerful depiction of a woman’s struggle for domestic independence and creative freedom.

In her introduction Steve Davies discusses The Tenant of Wildfell Hall as feminist testament, inspired by Anne Brontë’s experiences as a governess and by the death of her brother Branwell Brontë, and examines the novel’s language, biblical references and narrative styles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

The mysterious new tenant of Wildfell Hall is a strong-minded woman who keeps her own counsel. Helen 'Graham' - exiled with her child to the desolate moorland mansion, adopting an assumed name and earning her living as a painter - has returned to Wildfell Hall in flight from a disastrous marriage. Narrated by her neighbour Gilbert Markham, and in the pages of her own diary, the novel portrays Helen's eloquent struggle for independence at a time when the law and society defined a married woman as her husband's property.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140434747, 0141035633, 0141199350

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,610,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible