Peter Darling by Austin Chant

Peter Darling (edition 2017)

by Austin Chant

Ten years ago, Peter Pan left Neverland to grow up, leaving behind his adolescent dreams of boyhood and resigning himself to life as Wendy Darling. Growing up, however, has only made him realize how inescapable his identity as a man is. But when he returns to Neverland, everything has changed: the Lost Boys have become men, and the war games they once played are now real and deadly. Even more shocking is the attraction Peter never knew he could feel for his old rival, Captain Hook--and the realization that he no longer knows which of them is the real villain.… (more)
Member:KLHtet
Title:Peter Darling
Authors:Austin Chant
Info:[Castle Hayne, N.C.] : Less Than Three Press, LLC, 2017.
Rating:**

Peter Darling by Austin Chant

This story is just plain fun, while also managing to be shockingly heart wrenching. It's a great and original take on Peter Pan and Captain Hook, and why the two found themselves in Neverland, at each other's throats. The rhythm and character building perfectly evoke the original Peter Pan, and the original world of Neverland is brought back to life in exquisite detail. I'm not even sure how to properly sell this to you because I can't put all the joy into words, but here's my attempt: I caught myself thinking about it while I worked, wishing I could read it. It's that good and that much fun.

If you like fairy-tale retellings, and happy endings this is a must read. My one complaint is that I need a tiny follow-up story of the two a year from the ending.

Warning for mention of homophobia, transphobia, and threatening to hospitalize a transboy for who he is. ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
ALL THE FEELINGS I HAVE SO MANY FEELINGS

rtc ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
Peter Darling wrecked me in the best way. I'm going to need to put myself back together after this experience but I reckon it'll be worth it. ( )
  kittenelephant | Mar 21, 2020 |
Great story idea but the writing was far too convoluted. It had me confused and wondering about things that are not as iimportant to the story. ( )
  Perednia | Jul 28, 2019 |
When I first heard about this book, I laughed. But then it refused to leave me, and I knew I had to read it. And it's.... kind of outstanding. The idea of Peter Pan being trans, and that Wendy Darling is his birth name, is absolutely brilliant, and the story that emerges between Hook and Pan feels entirely beautiful. It is short, and although I would love more, I feel like the story that needs to be told is told within its pages. I loved it and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes rewrites and fantasy and trans narratives. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |
"This book is for every villain who ever inspired a queer awakening, and for every queer child who ever saw themself in the enemy.

It's also for Simone, who is definitely a villain of some kind."
"James Hook was bored."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,665,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible